|Necromancy is usually a poor choice for arcane spellcasters. Those who really want to master the deathless arts almost always pursue divine means. However, an alternative exists for those who desire power over undead. Enter the pale master, who draws on a font of special lore that provides a macabre power all its own.
• Alignment: Any non-good
• Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells.
• Hit Die: d6
• Base Attack Bonus: Low
• High Saves: Fortitude and Will
• Weapon Proficiencies: None
• Armor Proficiencies: None
• Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier
• Class Skills: Concentration, Craft Alchemy, Craft Trap, Craft Weapon, Diplomacy, Heal, Hide, Listen, Lore, Move Silently, and Spellcraft.
• Spells Per Day / Spells Known: When a new, odd-numbered pale master level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as though he had gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class gave him access to 3rd level arcane spells. If the character had more than one applicable arcane spellcasting class, he must pick one to improve.
• Bone Skin: At 1st level, the pale master's tough, cadaverous flesh gives him a +2 natural armor bonus to AC. This bonus increases to +4 at 4th level and +6 at 8th level.
• Animate Dead: A 2nd level pale master can use animate dead as a spell-like ability once per day.
• Darkvision: At 3rd level, the pale master gains the ability to see in the dark.
• Summon Undead: At 4th level, the pale master can use summon undead as a spell-like ability once per day.
• Deathless Vigor: At 5th level, the pale master becomes preternaturally tough and resilient. He gains 3 additional hit points per level. These extra hit points are retroactive, just like extra hit points from an improved Constitution.
• Undead Graft: At 6th level, the pale master performs a horrific operation that replaces one of his arms with a supernaturally-animated, undead appendage. The pale master may make a touch attack with this arm to paralyze a target twice per day. At 8th level, the pale master may use this touch attack three times per day. At 10th level, the pale master's undead graft touch attack kills the target if it fails its save, instead of paralyzing it.
• Tough as Bone: At 7th level, the pale master becomes more and more like one of the implacable undead. He gains immunity to hold, paralysis, and stun effects.
• Summon Greater Undead: At 9th level, the pale master can use summon greater undead as a spell-like ability once per day.
• Deathless Mastery: At 10th level, the pale master is practically an undead creature himself. He gains immunity to critical hits.