|The Neverwinter Nine are part of a close circle of bodyguards that protect Lord Nasher and, to a greater extent, Neverwinter itself. The Neverwinter Nine are selfless wardens with powers to shield others from harm and react to danger with equal parts focus and fury. While bodyguard by title, the Neverwinter Nines' abilities aren't strictly defensive; they are trained to kill swiftly, not to endlessly absorb punishment until more help arrives. Members of the Nine come from all walks of life, though the job is most suited for fighters, rangers, paladins, rogues, and monks who have the necessary mix of martial prowess and combat reflexes.
A character can achieve a maximum of 5 levels in the Neverwinter Nine prestige class.
• Base Attack Bonus: +6
• Special: Member of the Neverwinter Nine.
• Hit Die: d8
• Base Attack Bonus: High
• High Saves: Reflex and Will
• Weapon Proficiencies: None
• Armor Proficiencies: None
• Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
• Class Skills: Concentration, Craft Alchemy, Craft Armor, Craft Trap, Craft Weapon, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Lore, Search, Spot, and Parry
• Protective Aura: At 1st level, the Nine gain an aura that grants +2 to all saving throws and a +1 deflection bonus to armor class for all allies within 10 feet. This bonus does NOT apply to the Nine, only to his allies. At 4th level, this bonus increases to +3 saving throws, +2 deflection bonus, and the protection extends to allies within 15 feet.
• Guarding the Lord: Beginning at 3rd level, the Nine can protect one selected ally within 30 feet. This protection acts as the shield other spell cast at the Nine's character level. The only difference with the spell is that the target only takes 30% damage (instead of 50%), and the member of the Nine takes half the initial damage rounded down (instead of the remaining). This ability can be used three times per day.
• Frantic Reactions: At 3rd level, the Nine can rush across the battlefield and defeat enemies plaguing his allies. This translates to a +10% increase in movement speed, +2 bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement and +2d6 sneak attack damage.
• All-Out Assault: At 5th level, the Nine can concentrate for a round and focus his strength, making all of his melee attacks for the next three rounds inflict maximum damage. However, at the end of each of these three rounds, the Nine takes 10 points of damage from the incredible strain. This ability can be used once per day.