|The compassion to pursue good, the will to uphold law, and the power to defeat evil -- these are the three weapons of the paladin. Few have the purity and devotion that it takes to walk the paladin's path, but those few are rewarded with the power to protect, to heal, and to smite. In a land of scheming wizards, unholy priests, bloodthirsty dragons, and infernal fiends, the paladin is the final hope that cannot be extinguished. Divine power protects the paladin and gives her special powers. It wards off harm, protects her from disease, lets her heal herself, and guards her heart against fear. A paladin can also direct this power to destroy evil or to help others, healing their wounds or curing diseases. Even a novice paladin can detect evil, and more experienced paladins can smite evil foes and turn away undead.
• Alignment Restrictions: Lawful good. Paladins must be lawful good, and they lose their divine powers if they deviate from that alignment.
• Hit Die: d10
• Base Attack Bonus: High
• High Saves: Fortitude
• Weapon Proficiencies: Simple and martial weapons
• Armor Proficiencies: All types of armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (except tower shields).
• Skill Points: (2 + Int modifier x 4 at first level) 2 + Int modifier
• Class Skills: Concentration, Craft Armor, Craft Weapon, Diplomacy, Heal, Lore, and Parry.
• Smite Evil: Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day. At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.
• Divine Grace: At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.
• Lay on Hands: Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level times her Charisma bonus. For example, a 7th level paladin with a 16 Charisma (+3 bonus) can heal 21 points of damage per day.
• Aura of Courage: Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
• Divine Health: At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as mummy rot and lycanthropy).
• Turn Undead: When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the ability to rebuke or destroy undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would.
• Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a paladin gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the paladin spell list. A paladin must choose and prepare her spells in advance. To prepare or cast a spell, a paladin must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Wis 10 for 0-level spells, Wis 11 for 1st level spells, and so forth).
• Remove Disease: At 6th level, a paladin can remove disease once per day. At 9th level and every three levels after that, the paladin can cure disease one more time per day.
Epic Level Benefits [MotB Only]
• New feats are gained every other level instead of every third level (levels 21, 23, 25, 27, 29). These feats are in addition to the bonus feats for specific classes.
• Ability score improvements continue every 4 levels (levels 24, 28).
• Base Attack Bonus and Base Saves continue as normal.
• Additional attacks per round with every 5 points of Base Attack Bonus, unlike in tabletop D&D where the base number of attacks is capped at 4.
• +1 DC to all spells every third epic level (23, 26, 29).
• Caster level = 0.5 * class level.
• Lay on Hands continues to improve (heal class level * Cha modifier 1/day).
• Smite Evil continues to improve:
+1 use per day at levels 25 and 30 (every 5 levels).
Damage bonus = class level.
• Turn Undead level continues to increase with class level.
• +1 Remove Disease per day at levels 21, 24, 27, and 30 (every 3 levels).
• +1 feat at levels 23, 26, and 29 (every 3 levels).