Halflings are clever, capable opportunists. Halfling individuals and clans find
room for themselves wherever they can. Often they are strangers and wanderers
and others react to them with suspicion or curiosity. Depending on the clan,
halflings might be reliable, hardworking citizens, or they might be thieves just
waiting for the opportunity to make a big score and disappear in the dead of
night. Regardless, halflings are cunning and resourceful survivors.
Halflings stand about 3 feet tall and usually weigh between 30 and 35 pounds. A
halfling reaches adulthood at the age of 20 and usually lives into the middle of
her second century.
Halflings tend to be neutral. While they are comfortable with change (a chaotic
trait), they also tend to rely on intangible constants, such as clan ties and personal
honor (a lawful trait).
The chief halfling deity is Yondalla, the Blessed One, protector of the halflings.
Halflings also recognize countless lesser gods, who rule over individual villages,
forests, rivers, lakes and so on. The halflings pay homage to these deities to
ensure safe journey as they travel from place to place.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
- Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a
+1 size bonus on attack rolls and a +4 bonus on Hide checks, but she must use
smaller weapons than humans use and her lifting and carrying limits are three
quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Halflings base land speed is 20 feet.
- +2 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
- +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus on saving throws vs. fear. This bonus stacks with the halfling's
+1 bonus on saving throws in general.
- +1 racial attack bonus with thrown weapons and slings.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- Favored Class: Rogue.