Dwarves are known for their skill in warfare, their ability to withstand physical
and magical punishments, their knowledge of the earth's secrets, their hard work
and their capacity for drinking ale. Their mysterious kingdoms, carved from the
insides of mountains, are renowned for the marvelous treasures that they produce
as gifts for trade.
Dwarves stand only 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall, but they are so broad and compact that
they are, on average, almost as heavy as humans. Dwarf men are slightly taller
and noticeably heavier than dwarf women. Dwarf men value their beards and
groom them very carefully. Dwarves are considered adults at about age 40 and
they can live to be more than 400 years old.
Dwarves are usually lawful and they tend toward good. Adventuring dwarves are
less likely to fit the common mold, however, since they're more likely those who
didn't fit perfectly into dwarven society.
The chief deity of the dwarves is Moradin, the Soul Forger. He is the creator of the
dwarves and he expects his followers to work for the betterment of the dwarf race.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties
due to their size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even
when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven war axes as martial weapons
rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or
tripped when standing on the ground.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws vs. poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws vs. spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls vs. orcs and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class vs. giant-type creatures, such as ogres, trolls
and hill giants.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks related to stone or metal items.
- Favored Class: Fighter.