Kin to dwarves, gnomes are noticeably smaller than their
distant cousins. Gnomes, as they proudly maintain, are also
less rotund than dwarves. Most have dark tan or brown
skin, white hair, and rather large noses. Gnomes have lively
and sly senses of humor, especially for practical jokes. They
have a love for nature that is only matched by their love
for gems and jewelry. There are two racial subdivisions of
gnomes within the Realms: rock gnomes and deep gnomes
- Ability Scores. Gnomes receive a +1 bonus to Intelligence and a -1
penalty to Wisdom.
- Resilient. Gnomes receive a +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Spell and
Rod/Staff/Wand. Gnomes also receive an additional bonus to these
saves based on their Constitution, as shown to the right.
- Infravision. Gnomes can see creatures in dark areas. These creatures
are shown in red, with increasing intensity depending on the ambient
- Thieving Abilities. Gnomes receive a +15 bonus to Pick Pockets, Open
Lock, Find Traps, and Move Silently. They also receive a +10 bonus
to Hide in Shadows and Detect Illusion, as well as a +5 bonus to
- Illusion Affinity. Gnomes who wish to be Mages must choose the Illusionist
kit; even multi-class gnome Mages are Illusionists.