Through a post on the official website for the title, the folks at Jagex have announced the release date for the third iteration of RuneScape: July 22nd. Here's a summary of the improvements made to the title:
- HTML5 game client: The next generation of browser technology. It brings a big step up in visual quality with improved lighting, draw distance and colour, loading into your browser in moments, without the need for plug-ins or Java.
- New audio engine: High-fidelity audio and music, featuring full orchestral pieces written by BAFTA Award winner James Hannigan and played by the Slovak Symphony Orchestra.
- Seasonal high scores: Compete against your friends and the rest of the RuneScape community to rank on weekly and monthly leaderboards.
- Dawn of the Sixth Age: The gods of RuneScape are returning. Entrusted as World Guardians, players have the power to decide which gods will win and lose in their struggles for supremacy.
- The Battle of Lumbridge: An epic-scale world event which will shake the foundations of Gielinor, and one which is driven entirely by your actions. Week by week, your choices will shape the flow of battle and the fate of characters, locations and stories, and the ultimate outcome will set the course for RuneScape's future.
- New Interface System: Designed for ease of use and massive depth of customisation, the NIS lets you quickly change RuneScape's UI according to your play style at any given moment. It also includes feature upgrades such as key binding and a resizable minimap to put even more choice at your fingertips.
- Upgraded camera: Overhauled and updated, a new in-game camera gives you the freedom to view Gielinor like never before.
- New community website: Customise your community experience to your specifications, with a new easy-to-navigate website focused on your needs.
- Divination: Prepare to unlock divine powers from your surroundings with a new skill for RuneScape 3, arriving a few weeks after launch.