Category: News ArchiveHits: 790
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is now available on Steam, GOG, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, priced at $39.99 or your regional equivalent. This remaster enhances 38 Studios’ action-RPG with updated visuals and refined gameplay, and promises some fresh content further down the line. Those of you who own the original game on Steam are also eligible for a special 50% loyalty discount.
Check out the launch trailer:
And the game’s description:
The hit RPG returns! From the minds of the bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston, comes Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. Remastered with stunning visuals and refined gameplay Re-Reckoning delivers intense, customizable RPG combat inside a sprawling game world.
Uncover the secrets of Amalur, from the vibrant city of Rathir to the vast region of Dalentarth to the grim dungeons of the Brigand Hall Caverns. Rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war and control the keys to immortality as the first warrior ever to be resurrected from the grips of death.
- Build the ideal character for the most intense combat, choosing from a countless combinations of skills, abilities, weapons and pieces of armor.
- The revolutionary Destiny system allows you to continuously evolve your character class to your style of play.
- Seamlessly integrate magical and melee attacks as you take on scores of enemies in grand fight sequences and finish them off with brutal Fateshift kills.
- Extend your experience in Amalur with all DLC from the original release, from Teeth of Naros to Legend of Dead Kel and more!
- Hundreds of hours of RPG play await! Travel from the vibrant city of Rathir, to the vast region of Dalentarth, and the grim dungeons of the Brigand Hall Caverns as you uncover the secrets of Amalur!
- Explore deep levels of lore in a universe steeped in 10,000 years of fiction created by New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore.
- Rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war and control the keys to immortality as the first warrior ever to be resurrected from the grips of death.
- Explore a sprawling game world hailed as having "more content than any single-player game deserves!"
- Enjoy countless side quests rich in political intrigue, romance, sinister magic, and even whimsy - all central to the primary mission.
- Improved graphical fidelity in Re-Reckoning.
You may also be interested in a few reviews for this remaster:
On some levels, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is still a worthwhile RPG to hack and slash your way through, even if this remaster doesn’t go above and beyond the bare minimum expectations. But while the ideas and mechanics that make games like Red Faction: Guerilla and Burnout feel special are still largely singularly unique to them, almost everything that made Amalur stand out in its day has become standard fare for just about any RPG to come out in the past decade. Its fast-paced action still entertains, for the most part, and there’s plenty to see and do in its big world – but after almost a decade of innovation and improvements, it no longer feels particularly extraordinary, and the technical issues it does have are far less excusable. Re-Reckoning is a good reminder of what made the original so great for its time but, more importantly, it’s a testament to how far we've come in the decade since.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning finally gives a second chance to one of the best role-playing games released in the previous console generation, making the gameplay even better with select balance tweaks that increase the challenge level and make it easier to engage with side content. Despite some issues and a dated gameplay design, the game's battle system, great writing and extremely deep lore make Re-Reckoning a game that most role-playing game fans will enjoy. Especially if they like juggling enemies to death.
PlayStation Universe 8/10:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is just as fun as it was eight years ago. Though the game didn't get any updates to its inventory management system or the criminally long load times, the combat is still great and the vast world is a blast to explore.
If you’ve never played this game before, or if you want to dive back into it but don’t have access to an older copy, Re-Reckoning is easy to recommend- but only because the game itself is as good as it is. If you were hoping for an impressive visual upgrade, this isn’t it, and those who already have access to a copy of the original game should probably save their money.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is not terribly challenging or filled with complex plot, but offers you a straightforward, lengthy, and empowering journey to save the world from evil.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is still a good game, and fans of the original will be tempted by that 50% off deal. However, it's hard to see what it will gain from this remaster, as much as it would be interesting to see the property live up to its promise. At the very least, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning stands as a testament to how far games have come in one generation that this underrated gem cannot quite recreate its old impact.