Category: News ArchiveHits: 435
Age of Discovery, the latest content update for Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment's Star Trek Online has finally made its way to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after launching on PC back in October. The update introduces a playable Discovery-era Federation faction, adds a couple of new story missions, and revamps some of the game's existing features. Here's the official launch trailer:
And a press release with some additional details:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – November 13, 2018 – Today, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of live service games, and Cryptic Studios announced the Age of Discovery has begun for Star Trek Online on Xbox One and PlayStation®4. The newest update to the free-to-play MMORPG based on the iconic Star Trek universe serves as the first installment in a continuing adventure centered around the popular CBS All Access series, Star Trek: Discovery. Starting today, console players can download the game for free on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 to create a Starfleet Captain from the Discovery timeline and fight the Klingons alongside Cadet Sylvia Tilly, voiced by Mary Wiseman from the show. Age of Discovery will continue to bring players even more content from the new Star Trek series, with additional updates scheduled for console in March 2019 and beyond.
For the first time ever, Age of Discovery allows Star Trek Online players to fully immerse themselves in the Star Trek: Discovery universe with brand new missions inspired by the show. Star Trek fans new to the game will be able to explore Discovery content from the very start of their adventure. Today’s update unlocks the level requirements for all episodes and provides a streamlined mission journal to help navigate through content. Brand new game features for Xbox One and PlayStation®4 will keep veteran Star Trek Online players engaged, with the addition of new episodes, added Reputation Tiers and a new Random Task Force Operation System for rewards.
Age of Discovery transports players to the year 2256, shortly after the pivotal Battle at the Binary Stars. A war has erupted between the United Federation of Planets and Klingon forces, led by J’Ula (from the IDW comic series Star Trek Discovery – The Light of Kahless), matriarch of the House of Mo’Kai and sister of T’Kuvma. Players will team up with fellow Starfleet Academy cadet, Sylvia Tilly (voiced by Discovery’s very own Mary Wiseman), for their very first mission aboard the U.S.S. Glenn. Together they will travel to iconic locations featured in Star Trek: Discovery, including Starbase 1 and the Dilithium Mines of Corvan II, while encountering characters like Thy’kir Shran (voiced by Jeffrey Combs), son of Thy’lek Shran from Star Trek: Enterprise.
A full list of game features and Age of Discovery content for both new and returning Captains to explore on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 includes:
- Playable Discovery Era Federation Faction – Players can create a brand new Discovery era Federation Captain with a new tutorial experience and explore Starfleet in the year 2256, just after the Battle at the Binary Stars.
- Two New Episodes – Players from all factions can explore two new episodes, where they will be tasked with fending off Klingon boarding the U.S.S. Glenn, and defending Starbase 1 from an assault by Klingon House D’Ghor.
- New Task Force Operation - Queues in Star Trek Online will now be known as “Task Force Operations.” Age of Discovery’s newest Task Force Operation (TFO) will take players back to the year 2256, to protect Starbase 1 in Federation Space.
- Random Task Force Operations System – Those who queue for a randomly selected TFO through this new system will be rewarded with a large bonus, along with the standard rewards for completing the challenge.
- Streamlined Mission Journal - The mission journal has been streamlined for all Federation factions, in order to help new players better access the main story content in Star Trek Online. This affects Task Force Operations, which now unlock earlier in progression
- Added Reputation Tiers - All reputations will be extended to Tier 6 and will include upgrades to existing rewards, plus upgrades to existing ones.