Category: News ArchiveHits: 1410
Starflight, Binary Systems' space exploration adventure RPG, launched back in 1986 to pretty much universal acclaim. It was followed up in 1989 by a direct sequel, Starflight2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, and helped inspire the Star Control and Mass Effect series.
And now, HumaNature Studios captained by Greg Johnson, one of the developers on the original Starflight, wants to bring the series back with the help of a crowdfunding Fig campaign. The new installment is to be called Starflight 3: Universe, and even though its campaign is not yet technically live and lacks a clear funding goal at the moment, the preview page alone has managed to secure over $50,000 already.
Here's the official trailer:
And a brief feature list:
Starflight was the first PC game to go platinum, selling over a million copies while also garnering huge critical success earning “Adventure Game of the Year”. Its sequel, Starflight 2: The Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula went on to receive “Role-Playing Game of the Year”. We're building Starflight’s next incarnation under the creative direction of its original designer, Greg Johnson and we can't do it without your help!
What is Starflight
- A sci-fi single-player, sandbox role-playing game that focuses on exploration, diplomacy, resource gathering and combat
- Hand-built planets and star systems to discover, mine, catalog new creatures and trade with locals
- Alien races with distinct languages and cultures that will test your diplomacy skills
- Ship and crew customization to suit your play style
- Mind-bending clues scattered across the stars that you must decipher to keep going in the right direction
- Random events that will make some of your decisions easier and at times… difficult
- A truly free-form experience allowing you to decide how to explore whenever you want to