Category: News Archive
Written by BuckGB
I was under the impression that EA2D's Dragon Age Legends was doing pretty well on Facebook, but apparently that isn't the case, as this post on the official website reveals that EA will be shutting the game down on June 18th. They're encouraging everyone to move to Age of Champions, which you might recognize as another free-to-play browser RPG developed by KlickNation, the company added to the BioWare label late last year:
Sad news to report today: On June 18, 2012 we’ll be turning off the Dragon Age Legends servers. This is by no means a reflection on the quality of the game; the awesome team who created it; or the incredible, passionate community who has supported it. The unfortunate reality is that DAL doesn’t make enough revenue to sustain itself.
While it’s never fun to say goodbye, consider it only temporary. We’re also hard at work on our next core social projects, and we promise you they will be even more epic than anything we’ve done before. We hope you’ll join us again when they launch.
So what does this news mean for DAL players?
1. E-commerce will be turned off on May 18, 2012. At that point, you will no longer be able to purchase crowns.
2. On May 18, 2012, we’ll begin a massive fire sale on ALL items in the store. If you still have a stockpile of crowns left over, this is the time to spend them.
3. The game servers will be turned off on June 18, 2012. You will no longer be able to access DAL on Facebook or Google+ after that date.
4. We’ve started a customer appreciation program for any current DAL players who check out Age of Champions, a fantasy RPG from BioWare Social’s Sacramento studio. If you’ve played Dragon Age on Facebook in the last three months, you’ll an exclusive promo pack -- featuring a DAL-inspired Champion weapon, a Viscount Ravi army unit, in-game currency, and an exclusive medal for your profile page -- in Age of Champions.
5. Any remaining crown balance after June 18, 2012 will not be transferable to future BioWare Social products.
6. As a “Thank You” to our community, we will offer a free, downloadable version of Dragon Age Legends that will be available at www.dragonagelegends.com shortly after the current version of the game shuts down; this will allow you to continue your journey in Dragon Age Legends as a solo player.
Thank you to everyone who played Dragon Age Legends over the past year -- in particular those of you who took part in the vibrant communities that sprung up around it on Facebook and the BioWare Social Network. We’ve learned so much over the past year, and most of it is due to you. We consider you all family.
We’ll see you all again soon in new and different worlds!