Game Freezing

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack.
sonny
Game Freezing

Postby sonny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm playing BG1 Original Saga, 3 disk set. Playing on a Dell XPS, Pent 4, duel core with windows XP.

Game has been running just great until to day. I'm in Chapter 3, Ulcaster Dungeon, right after I picked up the Wand of Fire game froze up.

Only way to get out of program was Ctrl, alt, del. Got a message saying program was not responding. After hitting end program, got following message.

C:\DOCUME`1\HenryM`1\Locals`1\Temp\WERf83d.dirOO\BGMain2.exp.mdmp

I'm not very good at this and don't know a lot about computers, so if anyone has any ideas what I can do, I would be very greatfull.

I've been playing the game for weeks now and have had no problems.

I ran my spy-ware after this happened, and it did not detect anything.
Brought game off eBay.

Thanks again in advance. Really love this game, hope it nothing that can't be fixed.
They turned me loose from the nervous hospital. Said I was well. :confused:

fable

Postby fable » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Are you running any mods?
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

sonny

Postby sonny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm

fable wrote:Are you running any mods?

No mods. The only thing I've done other then play the game was this.
After reading a post here on this forum about the CLUAConsole cheat thing, being curious, I tried it but could not get it to work.
I figured out how to put in the cheat=1 line. but I could not get the thing to give me anything. After this problem came up, I went back and took that Cheat=1 line out and saved, But it still freezes up.
If that is the problem, can I re-install the game?
It just proves something, that at my age you think I would know. Don't screw with things you don't know anything about.

Crenshinibon

Postby Crenshinibon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 pm

You can reinstall your game, although there may be better alternatives. Also, if you're not sure of what you're doing and even if you are, it is good practice to make backups of important documents and files.

If there is a site or a way I could send files to you, I could send you my .ini file as I am running the same version. The only thing I'd need to know is what patch version you're using.
[font="Times New Roman"]“The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially.”[/font]

sonny

Postby sonny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Crenshinibon wrote:You can reinstall your game, although there may be better alternatives. Also, if you're not sure of what you're doing and even if you are, it is good practice to make backups of important documents and files.

If there is a site or a way I could send files to you, I could send you my .ini file as I am running the same version. The only thing I'd need to know is what patch version you're using.

That's the problem, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm embarrassed to say that at 60 yrs. old, I have not learned to leave things alone. The readme that's on the disk says release Version 1.3.5521 if that means anything. I don't know how to tell what patch version it is.

Maybe I need to find another hobby, like watching grass grow. Do you think a reinstall would take care of it. And if I do that, then all I have to do is use the uninstall in the game. Right? My grandson usually helps me with this stuff, but he's serving overseas now and is not due home until Mar 08.

I want to play this game, even if it means starting over.lol

CFM

Postby CFM » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:06 pm

I would ask if you have the official patch downloaded and installed, but the Original Saga 3-disc version already comes fully patched.

Can you load a previous save, and continue onward by skipping that area, or by skipping that wand?

Edit: I just saw the recent previous posts. FYI-

You don't need to worry about a patch, because as I mentioned, the 3-disc version you got comes fully patched.

If a file that gets installed becomes corrupt (such as the one that, say, a certain item like that wand uses), or you think your .ini file is now fubar, then re-installing will definitely help. And I think that un- and re-installing doesn't erase any existing savegames.
Why is it that whenever I finally get around to playing a new game for the first time,
I feel like playing Baldur's Gate for the second time...

sonny

Postby sonny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:32 pm

1st let me apologize for being this dumb. The problem started right after I picked up the Wand of Fire, everything was ok until then.

If I reinstall and the saved games are still there, would they still be corrupted.

If I have to start over, can I skip the Ulcaster Dungeon, or is it required to complete the game.

And I promise not to fool with that cheat thing again, if that's part of the problem. Was just being nosey.

It's 12:30am and I have a Dr.'s appointment at 7:45am, so I will check back after I get back. All times are EST. Thanks again guys for all the help.

Crenshinibon

Postby Crenshinibon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:28 pm

You have no need to apologize. No worries.

They will still be there but unless you have the exact same version as before, they won't work (meaning that if you patched it, you need to do it again).

The Ulcaster Dungeon are optional and you don't need it to complete the game.

If you want, I could edit the .ini file for you and post it in this thread as a .txt file so you could just copy and paste everything.

I'll wait for your response before doing anything though. I should be back online at around seven or seven thirty EST.
[font="Times New Roman"]“The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially.”[/font]

CFM

Postby CFM » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 am

Don't worry about too many questions. We are all here because we dig talking about this stuff. And an issue with someone's virgin run of this great game is a serious issue indeed. :)

sonny wrote:If I reinstall and the saved games are still there, would they still be corrupted.

I would guess your 'save game' files are not corrupted. If a 'main game' file (ie one that is used when adventuring, such as the item file for that wand) is corrupt on your computer, then an uninstall/reinstallation would put a healthy item file (from the install CD) back on your computer (assuming your CDs are fine). After uninstall/reinstallation, your save games should be there to reload, as before.

sonny wrote:If I have to start over, can I skip the Ulcaster Dungeon, or is it required to complete the game.

Ulcaster Dungeon is not at all required to complete the game, and can be skipped. It is in fact a bit annoying, with all those doggy monsters constantly respawning. Still, it's always better to see everything in a game.

1. Can you start the game from Windows, and get as far as the first menu, where you see the opening movie, then pick single player, multi player, etc? (If no, then maybe your your .ini file is goofed. An uninstall/reinstallation would fix this.)

2. After you start the game, can you load a save game? (If no, then that particular save game may be unrecoverable. Hopefully you got several other save games to try. Save many and often!)

3. If you can load one of those save games, can you access the Dungeon? And does the same thing happen when you pick up that wand again? (If yes, then maybe you could just avoid that particular Wand of Fire, or maybe avoid Wands of Fire in general. They have a distinct reddish-twig look to them.)

4. Can you begin a new game with a new dude in Candlekeep from the Prologue? (Uninstall/reinstallation is no big deal, just takes a little time. But it sounds like you got plenty of adventure already under your belt, so starting over from the very beginning Prologue will be the absolute last resort.)
Why is it that whenever I finally get around to playing a new game for the first time,

sonny

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:30 am

I'm back. Sorry it took so long. Had to have some blood work done.

OK, here's where I'm at in regards to what you guys are asking.

1. I only have one saved game. It was after I picked up the Wand. (Now I know why my grandson told me save, save, save.)

2. I have not patched the game. It is as it came from the box when I purchased it from eBay 2 months ago. Its BG1 The Original Saga w/TotSC ver.1.3.5521.

3. The only thing I did stupid, (I think) other then not have enough saves, was to try that CLUAConsole thing which I could not get to work, and after this freeze thing happened, I took that Cheats=1 line out and then saved.

4. I am able to load the game and open the saved game. How ever as soon as I do anything at all (move cursor, click on character, etc. it freezes up and I have to ctrl, alt, del. to get back to my desktop.

5. I just went in to Single Player, new game, created new character, got through Prologue and walked around Candlekeep and interacted with other NPC's. Did not save as it was a temp thing.

If I do have to uninstall and reinstall, if it's not asking to much, could you give me a short step by step so I don't screw that up. Just ordered Windows XP for Dummies from Amazon. I think I need it!

Crenshinibon

Postby Crenshinibon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:09 am

So your temporary game worked fine? Then as CFM said, the program might lie with your current save game.

Do you perhaps have an Autosave before picking up the Wand?

Again, if the problem is due to a mistake within the .ini file, I can send you mine.

sonny

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 am

Crenshinibon wrote:So your temporary game worked fine? Then as CFM said, the program might lie with your current save game.

Do you perhaps have an Autosave before picking up the Wand?

Again, if the problem is due to a mistake within the .ini file, I can send you mine.

When you say you can send me yours. What does that involve? Is it complicated. So you will know, I've never pasted or copied anything.

I don't mean to sound like I don't want it or that I'm ungrateful, it's just that I may not know what to do if I got it.

I have to say, you guys/girls are great and you will never know how much help you are to me. That's why I feel bad about being a pain in the ***.
But I just don't have the knowledge to do most of this stuff. I'm a retired Firefighter who now plays computer games to keep busy and have fun.

Anyway I need to find the least complicated way for me to get out of this mess and get back playing this great game.

No, I checked there is no Autosave. Just the 1 save game that I made.

CFM

Postby CFM » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm

sonny wrote:1. I only have one saved game. It was after I picked up the Wand. (Now I know why my grandson told me save, save, save.)

Regarding saving many and often:
Whenever you enter any main map area, the game automatically does an "Auto-Save". I assume your one saved game is named "Auto-Save" when you're in the Load Game screen.

You can also do a "Quick-Save" anytime during the game that hostiles are not present, by pressing 'Q' on the keyboard.

You should also create additional saves as you progress, by pressing 'O' on the keyboard for the Options screen, then clicking the Save Game button, and finally clicking the (empty) Save button on the Save Game screen.

I personally create a save game at the start of each chapter, using the name "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc. And I hit 'Q' before and after every fight.

sonny wrote:2. I have not patched the game. It is as it came from the box when I purchased it from eBay 2 months ago. Its BG1 The Original Saga w/TotSC ver.1.3.5521.

This edition of the game contains with the final, fully patched version out of the box. You should NOT download and install any additional patches.

sonny wrote:3. The only thing I did stupid, (I think) other then not have enough saves, was to try that CLUAConsole thing which I could not get to work, and after this freeze thing happened, I took that Cheats=1 line out and then saved.

4. I am able to load the game and open the saved game. How ever as soon as I do anything at all (move cursor, click on character, etc. it freezes up and I have to ctrl, alt, del. to get back to my desktop.

5. I just went in to Single Player, new game, created new character, got through Prologue and walked around Candlekeep and interacted with other NPC's. Did not save as it was a temp thing.

Based on the fact that a new game seems okay, I'd guess that your .ini file is okay. I'd also guess that the wand item is okay, based on how you describe the freeze occurring.

I'd guess you have one of the following things going on:

A. Your save game is corrupt.
Fix: delete this save game, and start a new game, and save many and often.

B. The Ulcaster Dungeon map area (where you're at when the freeze occurs) is corrupt.
Fix: perform an uninstall (see below), and reinstall the game. Then try loading up your save game. If the freeze still occurs, see A.

C. One of your CDs has a bad spot on it, causing the Ulcaster Dungeon map area to be corrupt during the installation process.
Fix: obtain another copy of the game, or see A, and avoid the Ulcaster Dungeon map area.

sonny wrote:If I do have to uninstall and reinstall, if it's not asking to much, could you give me a short step by step so I don't screw that up. Just ordered Windows XP for Dummies from Amazon. I think I need it!

When the Baldur's Gate Launcher window comes up, just click the Uninstall button, and follow the prompts. Then reinstall the game, as you did when you first bought the discs.

CFM

Postby CFM » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:52 pm

sonny wrote:Anyway I need to find the least complicated way for me to get out of this mess and get back playing this great game.

Play it safe. This is what I recommend:

Uninstall the game. This is done by clicking the Uninstall button in the Baldur's Gate Launcher window.

Reinstall the game. This is done just as you did when you first got the game.

Try loading your save game, one last time. If it freezes, then delete it from the Load Game screen. You'll have no choice but to start a new game.

Save many and often, using the 'Q' key for Quick-Save, and be sure to create multiple save games as you go, so you'll have previous saves to fall back on. And if Ulcaster's Dungeon gives you any problems, then just avoid it altogether.

Report back on how it goes!

sonny

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone for all the help. As I said you guys are great and have a lot of patience and I really appreciate it.

After I finish this post, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the game and start a new game. At least this time maybe my character won't get killed right away, now that I've got the combat thing down a little bit.

Also figured what I was doing with the save game. I was saving over the autosave and putting my own subject in each time, and then erasing the old save. I won't repeat that mistake again. Save, save, save. Have a Post-it on the monitor now. Like that idea of saving at the start of each chapter, think I'll take it a bit further and save as I enter each new area.

CFM

Postby CFM » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:21 pm

Good deal with the saving. And use the 'Q' key for Quick-Save-ing.

Don't be bummed about starting over. You have a chance to make better decisions when advancing your characters, since you now have a good feel for how the game works.

And if you were in Ulcaster's Dungeon, around Chapter 3, I would say you were maybe one third through the game, if that. When you reach the city of BG, it's like a whole other game. You have alot to look forward to.

sonny

Postby sonny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm

One last thing on this what now must be very annoying to you guys. With the Computer I have, is it OK to do the custom install and is it OK to pick the 512 cache size. It's defaulted at 240 on the install process. Which is what I picked on the first install.

As I said I have a Dell XPS 400, Pent 4, duel core, 3GHZ, 1.5 GB SDRAM.
I don't know what all that means but I know you guys do. My grandson ordered this for me before he left for his current tour of duty. Said it would meet my gaming needs for a while.

Thanks again my friends, you've been great.

CFM

Postby CFM » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Your computer is more than enough to run the classic BG from 1998.

Custom (and selecting everything) takes longer to install, but requires zero CD switching as you play, because everything gets installed. And, the more Cache allocated, the better.

sonny

Postby sonny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:39 am

Update and question.
UPDATE:
Uninstalled and reinstalled game, everything working fine so far.(sits in chair with fingers crossed holding a rabbit's foot)
QUESTION:
As you know, in old game I was in Chapter 3 and had Kiven in my party. I like this guy. If I go get him now (Chapter 1, right after Prologue) since I now know where he is, will he be there this soon. And if so will it screw up something later on? Other then Kiven I will play through as I did the 1st time. I just won't take Garrick along for a while. Does this make sense, or am I babbling. Thanks again

CFM

Postby CFM » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 am

sonny wrote:QUESTION:
As you know, in old game I was in Chapter 3 and had Kiven in my party. I like this guy. If I go get him now (Chapter 1, right after Prologue) since I now know where he is, will he be there this soon. And if so will it screw up something later on? Other then Kiven I will play through as I did the 1st time. I just won't take Garrick along for a while. Does this make sense, or am I babbling. Thanks again

I think he's there whenever. His presence is not a triggered event and, except for the joy of his company, will not affect anything either way. I hear Kivan kicks butt...