Name Change

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
BuckGB
Name Change

Postby BuckGB » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:38 am

I've been considering changing my forum name for quite some time, but I thought I'd get some opinions from all of you before I do so. When I first started GameBanshee, I didn't expect to be chatting with people like Gary Gygax and Richard Garriott, and I certainly didn't expect it to become my full-time job. Since I had gone by the name "Buck Satan" at GameZNet for a few years previously (working on their subsites like EQ'Lizer and Planescapers), I just kept the name at GameBanshee.

I don't think many people really care about my alias, but I can't help but feel like it portrays me as younger than I really am. The name actually dates back to high school (~1992), where friends of mine gave me the label due to my obsession with the band Ministry (whose lead singer had a side band called "Buck Satan and the 666 Shooters"). Now that I'm about to turn 30, I think it's time for a change.

For the past few years, I've used the alias "BuckGB" for developer forums, online games, and my Xbox Live account. I think changing my alias here to "BuckGB" would go largely unnoticed, but I thought I'd get some comments from some of you first. Anyone think that a simple name change like this would be detrimental after all these years?

BlueSky

Postby BlueSky » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 am

Buck:

Its your choice, if you want to change, its up to you. Buck GB is not that much of a change and like you said will probably not be noticed that much.
My own screen name is from my love of music and I've used it or a form of it for years...as for being detrimental, I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

And like I told my staff at work when we remodeled the place, if the boss want us to place things upside and sideways, its her decision, and that's what we'll do. :)
[color="DarkOrange"]I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"-anon[/color] ;)

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:29 am

I agree with Blue.
If you want to change your screen name, I see no reason why you should not do it, as I can understand and sympathize with your reasoning.

It will give a more "professional" appearance outwards of the site, and seeing as the site has grown somewhat over the last couple of years, that professionalism might help it even further.
So - go right a head IMO :)

(Just keep a transition time where you phase out the Buck Satan account, unless you can redirect PMs to your new screen name. Not sure how vbBoard handles such things)
Insert signature here.

fable

Postby fable » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:07 am

Works for me.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

T'lainya

Postby T'lainya » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:56 am

I don't think it would hurt anything.
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com"]GameBanshee[/url] Make your gaming scream!
"I have seen them/I have watched them all fall/I have been them/I have watched myself crawl"
"I will only complicate you/Trust in me and fall as well"
"Quiet time...no more whine"

Chanak

Postby Chanak » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Go for it, Buck. The name change wouldn't be detrimental at all.
CYNIC, n.:
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
-[url="http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/a.html"]The Devil's Dictionary[/url]

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:18 pm

I don't see any reason why not. :)

PS Gary Gygax?:speech: Wow!

I remember the days back in the early 80's when Gygax was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. :o I sure miss the good old pen and paper days... with miniatures at that. :(
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:27 am

Well, it's done :) . I'm still member ID #1, so I believe all PMs to "Buck Satan" will still get forwarded to me. All of my old posts have instantly been changed to BuckGB too.

Maharlika wrote:Gary Gygax?:speech: Wow!

Yeah, I did a phone interview with him back in 2004. Nice guy, too.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:44 am

I see all your posts have indeed been "transfered" to the new name. Nifty, but logical.

But perhaps you should make a forum wide announcement or something to alert the public to your new persona.
Insert signature here.

C Elegans

Postby C Elegans » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 am

Heh, it looks funny now that I've become so used to Buck Satan but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon - Buck GB sounds fine to me :)
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

Moderator of Planescape: Torment, Diablo I & II and Dungeon Siege forums

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 am

I didn't reply earlier because I wasn't sure what to say, I was so accustomed to "Buck Satan." :D
But, now seeing it up there I think it looks very good, quite professional :cool:
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Xandax wrote:But perhaps you should make a forum wide announcement or something to alert the public to your new persona.

I'm sure an announcement is necessary (since the general user population probably won't notice), but I decided to post one anyway.

Gwalchmai

Postby Gwalchmai » Thu May 03, 2007 10:16 pm

But now, come this December, "Buck Santa" just won't make sense as a joke! Oh, well, it still works as an in-joke. :D

I think the new name is more dignified and befitting the stature of your website, Buck. Thumbs up.
That there; exactly the kinda diversion we coulda used.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Fri May 04, 2007 9:36 am

The name change shouldn't affect the mysterious appearances of Buck Santa. He comes and goes as he pleases, regardless of what my plans are :) .

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri May 04, 2007 9:44 am

BuckGB wrote:The name change shouldn't affect the mysterious appearances of Buck Santa. He comes and goes as he pleases, regardless of what my plans are :) .

[QUOTE=Forum Rules]#6 - Registering and using multiple accounts is not allowed. If we determine that you have more than one account (by matching IPs, etc), all accounts will lose their posting privileges. [/QUOTE]

*sees his mouse cursor move towards the ban button* :mischief:

Sorry - couldn't help myself :laugh: :laugh:
Insert signature here.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri May 04, 2007 11:19 am

Xandax wrote:*sees his mouse cursor move towards the ban button* :mischief:

Sorry - couldn't help myself :laugh: :laugh:

ROFL! :laugh:
Looking for a power grab Xan? :p

It also occurs to me that the jokes about all of those dungeons and tortures in Buck's basement make less sense :D
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]