Forums with low traction

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
dragon wench
Forums with low traction

Postby dragon wench » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:41 pm

As I was just checking over the forums I mod, I was struck by something I've previously thought about. I have two forums --Champions of Norath/Call to Arms and Fallout Tactics-- that receive virtually no posts.

I am wondering if there would be any sense in collapsing them into RPG Discussion?

Given that there are a number of games coming up that I'm assuming GB may well cover ("Dragon Age" and "Age of Decadence" spring to mind), might it make sense to collapse the aforementioned low traffic forums? Or, will that not really affect bandwidth and such? Bandwidth issues are something, at present, that I don't know a great deal about.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:51 pm

I agree with DW, and I'd add the Divine/Beyond Divinity, as well. I asked for that one, but frankly, it just hasn't generated much interest.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:17 am

I'm always one who advocate merging unused forums, cause I feel it looks sloppy and as GB is unused when there are a number of forums get pretty much no points.
I do not understand the division of the Fallout 1+2+Tactics forums for instance...

As well a number of others.
Insert signature here.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:04 am

In addition to the sloppiness and creating more space for upcoming games, I was also thinking it might be a more efficient use of "person" power (: p) to condense the low traffic forums.
Just a thought anyway.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I did a little consolidating tonight, though I don't think some forums should be abandoned just yet. For example, the Divinity forum has over 1000 posts and Larian Studios has hinted that they're working on another sequel. If all three games end up in the same forum, I think the traffic will justify its existence. Here's a list of what did change, though:

Warcraft I, II, & III and Dragonshard -> RPG Hybrids
Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics -> Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics
The Elder Scrolls I & II -> RPG Discussion
Wizards & Warriors -> RPG Discussion
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II -> Action RPG Discussion
Champions of Norrath/Return to Arms -> Action RPG Discussion
Diablo -> Diablo I & II

The rest of the low traffic forums are either for games that aren't out yet or could show some potential eventually. If any of the consolidated forums impacted anyone's moderating routine, let me know and I'll make any needed changes.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Wed May 30, 2007 12:39 pm

Hmm, another forum with low traffic that might not even be needed anymore is Diablo 3.

Blizzard already announced that Starcraft 2 was there next big game, so Diablo 3 would remain only a rumor for at least another few years, plus the Diablo 3 forum itself here is getting hardly any postings. So, do we need/want to keep it or should it be taken off?
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

Chanak

Postby Chanak » Wed May 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Interestingly enough, the KOTOR III forum doesn't seem to lack for posting activity...especially for a game that doesn't exist (yet). That leads me to think about what will happen if (really, it's a matter of *when*) LucasArts announces an MMORPG set in the KOTOR era of their Star Wars universe. MMOs typically do not generate much interest at GB - at least in the forums - and I seriously doubt a forum dedicated to a KOTOR MMO would prove any different. The WoW forum here at GB sees a post once in a blue moon...and that one has millions of subscribers.

What are your thoughts/plans in this regard, Buck? Unless your thoughts are otherwise, I would think a KOTOR MMO forum would be a wasted effort...and I'm not exactly sure if LucasArts ever intends on making a third installment of the single player title.
CYNIC, n.:
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
-[url="http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/a.html"]The Devil's Dictionary[/url]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 am

Blizzard Entertainment has stated that they are working on at least two unannounced titles right now (which may or may not include StarCraft 2), so it wouldn't surprise me if Diablo III is in development. They've also announced that BlizzCon attendees will get a beta key for an unannounced game, so I don't think it's a good time to remove the Diablo III forum. If another sequel isn't announced this year, then I think it might be safe to get rid of it until we know more.

As far as a KotOR MMO forum, that would largely depend on who's developing it and how closely tied it will be to the original games. I intend to cover BioWare's upcoming MMO in at least some capacity, so if it turns out that they're the ones behind the game, then I think it will have an audience here on GameBanshee. I would certainly hope a Star Wars MMORPG developed by BioWare would garner at least some interest with our userbase.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a single-player Star Wars: KotOR III yet. It's possible that the MMO rumors are totally unfounded or that both single-player and MMO versions are planned.