Threads to watch

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
fable
Threads to watch

Postby fable » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:08 pm

More or less like problematic people to watch thread, only not. ;)

Let's start with this one, about the Virginia Tech massacre. There are a lot of raw nerves, as a result, and that's already led to some minor flames. Please keep an eye out for this one.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Chanak

Postby Chanak » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Although I used the report feature to point this out, I'll mention it here. I'm not entirely sure that the motives behind [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/we-didnt-light-the-fire-72844.html#post934549"]this necropost[/url] are legit. At all. A couple of reasons why it's fishy to me: 1. The thread is over a year old; 2. The poster is not named in the title of the thread; 3. it contains posts from a number of banned members; 4. it seems to me to be yet another ploy of the immature Ravager crowd to bring their names and "faces" to the forefront of SYM. Oh, and 5) it's necroposting.

I could be mistaken about this, but when it comes to that bunch, better safe than sorry.
CYNIC, n.:
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
-[url="http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/a.html"]The Devil's Dictionary[/url]

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:02 am

I had it closed already. Given the benefit of the doubt, I just explained the need to have it closed. ;)
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

fable

Postby fable » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 am

Didn't check here until after I got Chanak's report. I soft deleted Firelighter's post--and yours, Mah, since I agreed with Chanak that Firelighter was simply bumping a year old thread that had four banned members' posts right above his name. I sent him a friendly infractions form (without points) asking not to necrobump, and saying nothing about what he was actually doing, then sent you an apology for the soft-deletion. :) I'd rather not give Firelighter the satisfaction of pushing his pal's to the front of the forum, again. They're gone.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Fine by me, Fabs. I understand the need to do so. :)
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 pm

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gamebanshee-news-73/vampire-bloodlines-v4-02at-true-unofficial-patch-87152.html"]The Vampire Bloodlines True Patch Thread[/url] should probably be watched.

I have PMed Tessera and asked that he not put a link to his mature content website in his posts. Either he doesn't check his messages or he is ignoring me, because I had to edit another of his posts, so I asked him in the thread itself to refrain from the site linking.

Also in that thread, Wesp, who appears to have some kind of personal connection to Tessera has been bringing battles to the thread. In addition to Fable's warnings in there, I added my own and also sent Wesp a warning in which I stated that next time he would recieve an actual infraction.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Good on you, DW. I hope they both pay attention. Tessera's only shooting him/herself in the foot by ignoring that rule. As for Wesp, I honestly don't expect any better, since he's very bitter. My guess is he'll go to simmer for a while, then boil over once more.

mr_sir

Postby mr_sir » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:01 am

Wesp is refusing to let the argument stop, despite Tessara's attempts to put an end to it.

fable

Postby fable » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:30 am

mr_sir wrote:Wesp is refusing to let the argument stop, despite Tessara's attempts to put an end to it.

Gave him a month's ban, pulled his posts. I also put up a note about Wesp in the Problematic People thread, before reading this.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:02 am

Looks like another post in the thread is raising a similar claim, although because I*ve not followed that specific thread I'm unsure whether you want it to stand.

Should properly be told to take it to the PMs otherwise.

I checked the IPs to make sure it wasn't this Wesp5 in another account and it does not look like it, however that has never been a guarantee :)
Insert signature here.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks for the heads up Xandax.
I just soft deleted the most recent post and left the following message, it leaves no room for doubt, so hopefully they'll get the point.

@Oceanclub and anyone else involved in this patch dispute,

Enough is enough already!

If you have a quarrel with another member, please take it to PMs. If you feel this is something that requires investigation, please contact the site administrator, Buck Satan.

But, do not continue this discussion here. One individual has already lost their posting rights over this, and if the issue persists, more will follow.

I generally prefer a more light-handed approach, but apparently these guys don't respond well to subtlety. Honestly... what is it about cult games and their fans? These guys are as bad as the NMA. :rolleyes:

EDIT
I have also just PMed Buck, since I thought, given the charges of plagiarism and the persistence of those involved, that it is something he should probably be aware of.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm

If Wesp is able to somehow prove that his work was indeed stolen, I don't think we should ban his account. I can imagine how angry he must be to see someone else getting press coverage and praise for simply editing the patches he's been working on for years. Until we know who's telling the truth, though, there's not much we can do.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm

After a few more email exchanges with Werner Spahl (Wesp5), I've posted this news item to clear things up. I've also lifted the ban on his account after giving him a stern warning that he needs to follow our rules if he wants to participate in any further Bloodlines discussions. I really feel that Tessera is the troublemaker in this whole deal, especially after reading through the thread I linked to on Planet Vampire.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:37 pm

In that case I will soften my post up there...

What a mess..

fable

Postby fable » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:44 pm

There's been another challenge placed in that same thread, this time from a new poster. DW's deleted it, and frankly, when I first read it, I would have done the same, myself. I have no idea whether it is a legit claim, or not.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:57 pm

fable wrote:There's been another challenge placed in that same thread, this time from a new poster. DW's deleted it, and frankly, when I first read it, I would have done the same, myself. I have no idea whether it is a legit claim, or not.

*sigh* and I just received a PM from said poster (oceanclub)

"patch dispute"

This seems a strange phrase to use about what somone objecting to other people's work (including mine) using without their permission.

Can you tell me _which_ GameBanshee forum I can repost my message on?

Regards,

P.

I am going to refer him/her to Buck.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:53 am

Seems to be a tad of it going on again. I'm close to simply shutting it down as nothing will come of this thread, but I think we should simply let it be up to Buck.
Insert signature here.

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:14 am

I suggest you close the thread and that any questions should be addressed by way of links or references where Tessera can answer without wesp's interference and vice versa. Let the public decide on their own whose patch they want and who they want to believe in.

fable

Postby fable » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 am

I think that's an excellent suggestion, Mah, and I've followed up on it. The thread is now closed. It's a mess. I've PM'd Buck, again.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:38 am

Good to see that thing closed. I just stumbled out of bed to a concerned PM from Tricky suggesting the same.

I have soft deleted the two offending posts in an effort to further clean up the thread.

Honestly,
this is ridiculous :rolleyes:

EDIT, and here is a copy of my recent conversation with Wesp. :rolleyes:
Originally Posted by dragon wench
Dear Wesp5,

You have received a warning at GameBanshee Forums.

Reason:
-------
Flaming (Minor)

[QUOTE=Wesp]Hello Dragon Wench,

I overlooked this PM so I was quite surprised that I got banned. As Buck thought this ban was unfair I'm here again but just wanted to know if calling someone a liar even if one can provide proof is still called flaming? So that I can be more careful next time[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=me]Well, it was just a warning
As you know, that thread is now locked, because of the high feelings, and in that particular context, it contributed to the overall tensions.

The thread is now locked, it can't be a place for a quarrel. You have to understand, Game Banshee has been drawn into this situation unwittingly and we can't publicly take sides.

Regards,
Dragon Wench[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wesp]Okay, but still I think my last deleted post was neutral enough and just showed how anyone could check the truth. Such as it is now Tessera's words are the last and that is not right...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=me]I appreciate your concerns. However, I deleted those posts that were a continuation of the previous flame war. Posts that had been added after repeated warnings from Fable and myself.
As I have said, this cannot continue. The purpose of the News Forum is strictly as a venue for news on RPGs, it is not a battleground. Moreover, Game Banshee's Purpose is not to serve as a platform for disputes of ownership and we must remain neutral in this matter.

Sincerely,
Dragon Wench[/QUOTE]

Having checked out the links posted by Buck in his clarification thread, I'm also inclined to think Tessera is at the root of the problem here. However, the continued persistence of people like Wesp and Oceanside, after being warned, and after consulations with Buck is certainly becoming tedious. I honestly appreciate their concerns, but they need to settle down until the matter has been further investigated. They also just don't appear to understand that GB is not a platform upon which they can vent their war. :rolleyes: