GB Classifieds - mandate?

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
dragon wench
GB Classifieds - mandate?

Postby dragon wench » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:24 pm

The other night I saw that somebody, a brand new member, had posted the following in GB Classifieds:

Dragons, Gargoyles, & Wizards Oh My
I am selling my collection of dragons, gargoyles, and wizards. 50 pieces in the collection ranging in size (3 inches to 14 inches in height) for only $275 or will sale them in pre-arrange sets.

If you are interested contact me ASAP as these will sale fast. Price of these range from $5 - $40 from dealers with majority in the $10 - $15 range.

Pre-Arrange Set:
Dragon Set 1 (include windchime) - $55
Dragon Set 2 (includes picture frame) - $70
Dragon Set 3 (includes water fountain) - $60
Merlin Set 1, 2, or 3 - $40 each
Gargoyle Set 1 (3 pieces) - $15
Gargoyle Set 2 (Multiple peices) - $35

Total cost for sets is $355 or buy all sets for the price of $275 - I save you money and you save me time it takes to deal with multiple buyers!

Email me at always_innocent@hotmail.com I am located in Gainesville, Texas off of I-35 that's 10 minutes from the Texas/Oklahoma broder.

My initial reaction was to move to delete it because it did seem to me the person was just using the board to sell items. However, then I stopped because reading it over a second time I wondered if maybe the items being sold didn't fit into the sort of things that might end up being listed at GB. Also, unlike the endless ads for electronic toys we constantly get, this seemed to be an individual rather than some shady corporation.
So, I decided to think it over, but then Fable actually ended up deleting it because this was the only post the person had made, the point being that they were simply using GB as a free place to sell their junk.

Fair enough. But I do have a question, what qualifies as acceptable in GB Classifieds? Obviously the Nokia ads and similar are out, but ones like the above made me hesitate because if an established GB member were to try selling things like that, chances are that we'd have been a little less likely to red flag it.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm willing to cut a genuine member some slack. Thing is, a genuine member is a person who posts regularly in the forums and contributes, but they usually only have one or two items to sell. It's the big ad placement people who aren't really contributors, which (for me, at any rate) makes it easier to distinguish between the two groups.

But as in the past, I'm not wedded to this idea, and I could be conviced otherwise by good arguments or a small sack filled with emeralds left in a PO box of my own choosing. :)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 pm

lol Fable!
I hear you.

I was thinking this over, and I was wondering if there would be any sense at all to making GB Classifieds a semi-locked forum that only becomes open to members when they have been here a certain period of time, maybe one month?
I think a time period would make more sense than tying it to post count, for some obvious reasons.
Of course, I have no idea how feasible something like that would be, it could be a complete headache to even attempt it.
I know other VB Bulletin forums sometimes only allow a member into an area after a certain period of time, but I think it is linked to post count, unfortunately.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:04 pm

dragon wench wrote:I was thinking this over, and I was wondering if there would be any sense at all to making GB Classifieds a semi-locked forum that only becomes open to members when they have been here a certain period of time, maybe one month?

I think that's an excellent idea. I just don't know if the bulletin board code allows for its implementation. But it certainly would cut down on the "I'll sign up and put up my ad" syndrome for Classified.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:16 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps it would not actually be so bad tied to post count, simply because it would be invisible to those one time members to begin with, so chances are that they wouldn't be trying to wrack up their posts, since they would not know of its existence.
And I'm fairly sure it's possible to make particular forums locked via post count because Aeclectic Tarot has a system like that, and I'm almost certain it's VBulletin.

Thoughts?