Rav's little helpers at it again

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
fable

Postby fable » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:03 am

Aqua-chan wrote:Sorry for the delay: took a medical leave. Password changed. I'm with Gwally in that I'll never remember my new one, though. :rolleyes:

There are a number of PC-based freeware password managers you might want to consider. Several are automated, so that when you enter your chosen name on a given site, the password automatically follows.

If the entire fanaticism wasn't so pathetic I might be tempted to just laugh at this mission these people have embarked on to take out the boards.

It certainly is a tremendous waste of energy and time on their part, but obsession is never considered a waste by those caught within it. To them, it assumes dimensions entirely out of proportion with reality.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Rob-hin

Postby Rob-hin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 pm

Password changed.

My 2 cents on how to login, this works here but also on other sites with paswords;
There are several ways to track a pasword, some are already mentioned. I'm going in about other ways.
1- Hacking. Naturally, always have firewall etc on but you know that. When they hack and find your pasword they can use it. Security programs can also be hacked.
2- Keyregisters. A trojan that registers what keys you press on your keyboard.

Because of these 2 reasons, I store half a pasword on my pc in an inocent file. The other half I memorise.
When I need to login, I copy/paste the first half and type the rest.
This makes it really hard to get my passwords.

Hope this helps! :)
Guinness is good for you.
Gives you strength.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Rob-hin wrote:Password changed.

My 2 cents on how to login, this works here but also on other sites with paswords;
There are several ways to track a pasword, some are already mentioned. I'm going in about other ways.
1- Hacking. Naturally, always have firewall etc on but you know that. When they hack and find your pasword they can use it. Security programs can also be hacked.
2- Keyregisters. A trojan that registers what keys you press on your keyboard.

Because of these 2 reasons, I store half a pasword on my pc in an inocent file. The other half I memorise.
When I need to login, I copy/paste the first half and type the rest.
This makes it really hard to get my passwords.

Hope this helps! :)

I would seriously - very seriously - doubt that somebodys computer have been either hacked or have had a trojan installed by these guys. They do not strike me as that criminal, because that is a serious criminal offense in most western countries.

I'm sorry to say - but a compromised account (guessed password/shared password) or a leak are the two most logical and plausible possibilities in my view.
Insert signature here.

mr_sir

Postby mr_sir » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Xandax wrote:I would seriously - very seriously - doubt that somebodys computer have been either hacked or have had a trojan installed by these guys. They do not strike me as that criminal, because that is a serious criminal offense in most western countries.

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to the technical side of computers, but i do know a little. Wouldn't a trojan be picked up by virus scanning software?

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Berks galore

Password changed.

I really LMAOed and almost ROFLed when I saw my quote and this snide remark being a teacher of discipline. :laugh:

By saying that, Ik has lowered himself to the status of kidlets. I'm a Prefect of Discipline for Upper School students --- not college kids or even adults. :rolleyes:

Insults? I'm sorry, but if these numbskulls are using those poor excuse of what they call their gray matter then they should realize that the mod forum was set up by the owner of this site in the first place. Aside from that, this forum is considered a private forum among selected individuals, and is a venue for exchanges similar to that of private messaging.

Ik and his cohorts can kiss my rich brown gluteus maximus goodbye.

Since when do we post in public our private messages?

Duh.

GB is not America with all its so-called virtues of democracy and freedom in it. :rolleyes: GB is whatever Buck envisions it to be.

If they quote me on this fine. But I'd laugh it off even more if they quote me on selected items only and miss the gist of my messages altogether. :mischief:
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:50 am

I just love how people always think of democracy when they see an internet forum...even though a lot of forums are international even if english is required.

The forum is a dictatorship, members have no say to moderators, and moderators have no say to the administrator, thus the administrator controls all, that's I think the definition of dictatorship. One person controls all.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:29 am

mr_sir wrote:I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to the technical side of computers, but i do know a little. Wouldn't a trojan be picked up by virus scanning software?

Optimal cases - yes. Common cases - perhaps. More often then you'd expect - no. :)
Depends on the visiousness of the trojan/virus and the effectiveness of a virus scan (if any scan at all).

But as said - I doubt any of this crowd (seriously doubt) have access to trojan viruses, have them installed on another persons machine, just to get access to this forum. And if they did, they'd be committing criminal offenses in most western worlds.
Insert signature here.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 am

For the sake of my sanity, let's try to follow the rules here in the private forum as well and avoid posting any flames (even minor ones). I actually had a member threaten legal action, if you can believe it.

I'm going to be posting a public response today.

C Elegans

Postby C Elegans » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am

Buck Satan wrote:I actually had a member threaten legal action, if you can believe it.

Sure, let this person spend his/her energy and money on that. I am really sorry to hear what you have to put up with, Buck. Incredible.
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

Moderator of Planescape: Torment, Diablo I & II and Dungeon Siege forums

Rob-hin

Postby Rob-hin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:23 am

Xandax wrote:I would seriously - very seriously - doubt that somebodys computer have been either hacked or have had a trojan installed by these guys. They do not strike me as that criminal, because that is a serious criminal offense in most western countries.

I'm sorry to say - but a compromised account (guessed password/shared password) or a leak are the two most logical and plausible possibilities in my view.

I'm not saying this is what happened here, but wanted to share my 'trick' to you all for other usefull purposes.
Can't imagine anybody going though all that trouble just for a Gamebanshee account info either.
Guinness is good for you.
Gives you strength.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 pm

I've posted a reply to Sytze's post that more-or-less echoes what Siberys, Maharlika, and Xandax had said.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm

Buck Satan wrote:I've posted a reply to Sytze's post that more-or-less echoes what Siberys, Maharlika, and Xandax had said.

Indeed; good post, but now my little post will be all but ignored *sniffle*
But you do have the liberty of being able to be a little more "direct" then I'd dare to assume for myself, so I think your post is quite good and very explaining.
But hey - it is just a moderator conspiracy - Buck does not even exists :D (sorry - couldn't help myself :o )
Insert signature here.

fable

Postby fable » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Buck Satan wrote:I've posted a reply to Sytze's post that more-or-less echoes what Siberys, Maharlika, and Xandax had said.

Won't help with the diehard Stalinists, but then, they have their dogma and facts that contradict it aren't allowed. I think it will help significantly with most other members who take part regularly in SYM.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:28 pm

Buck Satan wrote:For the sake of my sanity, let's try to follow the rules here in the private forum as well and avoid posting any flames (even minor ones). I actually had a member threaten legal action, if you can believe it.

I'm going to be posting a public response today.

My apologies, Buck. Will know better next time.

As for your post there, I think you have explained it well enough. I must congratulate you though of the level-headedness of the tone of that post of yours.
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

C Elegans

Postby C Elegans » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Excellent post Buck, as good as it gets I would say although I completely agree with Fable that nothing on this earth will change the most fanatic delusions.

For the rest of the members, I think it's better to describe events more concrete, as you have done, since this prevents fantasies from growing.
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

Moderator of Planescape: Torment, Diablo I & II and Dungeon Siege forums

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:46 pm

In addition to everything else that has already been stated here, I just want to say, I really appreciated The Z's post. It's really nice to see something like this coming from a regular member.
I've always respected his level of maturity.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Well, Sytze replied and now I'm ticked. Great, just when I thought this was all over with.

I do believe in my post I mentioned a couple times that I didn't have all the facts or that I was playing off of memory (which is obviously a clue that my information could be innacurate) yet he still felt compelled to start throwing accusations at the moderating team.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 am

Siberys wrote:Well, Sytze replied and now I'm ticked. Great, just when I thought this was all over with.

I do believe in my post I mentioned a couple times that I didn't have all the facts or that I was playing off of memory (which is obviously a clue that my information could be innacurate) yet he still felt compelled to start throwing accusations at the moderating team.

I agree. He's presented biased opinions which he attempts to present as facts. I've replied once more, this time more "direct", but if he continues down the path he's taken, it'll be my last explanatory comment in that discussion and I'll only look at it from moderator point of view for possible rule breaking.
Insert signature here.

fable

Postby fable » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:49 am

Just my perspective, but I think we're better off at this point not replying to him. His arguments seem--to me, at least--so one-sided despite their politeness that he's aggravating other members. It might create a better atmosphere if we allow GameBanshee to be honestly defended by those who know the truth, rather than taking up the gauntlet ourselves. But I can understand those mods who feel the need to speak out and cut through the BS in order to speak the plain truth.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:42 am

I just got this email-

Dear Siberys,

Your account on GameBanshee Forums has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 202.63.54.126

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

So yeah, someone did hack an account.