Moderator Absences

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:15 am

dragon wench wrote:Fair point.
A major reason I suggested Philos, aside from the fact that he seems thoughtful and level-headed, is because he has also posted quite extensively in both IWD forums.

Another couple of people who don't really seem to go near SYM (not much anyway) but always seem helpful in the game forums they post in are Raven_Song, and DaemonJ.


Raven_Song has posted a lot in the BG2 forum, where he likes to pick minor, irrelevant points in other people's posts and do "corrections" which drive them up a wall. Frequently when it has nothing to do with the subject. I've already taken him/her to task once about this, but it's an ongoing problem. I'd prefer we pass on this one.

DaemonJ tends to get involved in arguments in BG2. Not often, but it has happened more than once. He/she is a possibility, but I think bears watching for a while, first.

I'm not trying to diss your suggestions, DW. Hope you realize that. :) It just happens that these two I've watched carefully, because I've been watching BG2 carefully for a long time.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
dragon wench
Posts: 19609
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The maelstrom where chaos merges with lucidity
Contact:

Postby dragon wench » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:34 pm

No worries Fable,
I only really know Raven_Song from the MW forum, and I suppose given that the MW forum seems to attract a higher percentage of idiots than the other forums I post in, RS probably comes off looking pretty good in contrast :D

Regarding DaemonJ, I guess it depends on the severity of the argument. I mean... let's be honest, I think most people here have gotten involved in at least one argument somewhere or other, I know I have... :o :D
But, again, clearly if you mod BG2, you'll have a different perspective ;)
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

User avatar
mr_sir
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby mr_sir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 pm

What about Aclaecius? He is quite a regular poster and tends to be helpful and offers good advice. I've seen him a lot in the Vampire forums but I've also seen him in the NWN2 forums and the Gothic forum. I think he's posted in the IWD and IWD2 forums before too and I can't remember seeing him all that much in SYM, but I haven't visited SYM much lately due to everyday life.

As regards to Des, a few months ago I did get a bad feel about him and felt he was being a bit too critical and mocking in some of his posts, like he felt he was superior, but I spoke to him about this via PM and he said that he didn't know what had come over him that week and I've never noticed him do anything like that again (this incident was about 3 or 4 months ago). He does seem to just enjoy talking about gaming as he regular mentions stuff he's seen like trailers and demos, although I do agree his membership and post count on Nexus is an issue.

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:11 pm

I'm willing to reconsider DaemonJ, if we can find some background on him/her. As you point out, circumstances might just have been agin' DJ and he's usually pretty quiet and helpful.

Aclaecius? I'm not getting a user match on anybody in the forums. I think I know whom you mean, but I'm not sure.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
BuckGB
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:00 pm
Contact:

Postby BuckGB » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:43 pm

There are some good suggestions here - keep them coming. The only member I'd definitely rule out so far is DesR85. If he has over 800 posts on the Nexus boards, then he's probably been subjected to a lot of poison over there. In the event that a new moderator doesn't work out, I don't want to deal with anything that resembles the nightmare we previously had on our hands.

User avatar
mr_sir
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby mr_sir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm

fable wrote:Aclaecius? I'm not getting a user match on anybody in the forums. I think I know whom you mean, but I'm not sure.


My mistake, I spelt the name wrong :o Its Acleacius.

@DW, it was Xandax who nominated me so I wasn't part of Luis' plans at all.

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 pm

mr_sir wrote:My mistake, I spelt the name wrong :o Its Acleacius.


He doesn't appear to have ever posted in SYM, and first posted extensively in V:TM Bloodlines before moving out into other action RPG titles. He seems genuinely helpful, and sticks within the rules.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Chanak
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Pandemonium
Contact:

Postby Chanak » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:07 pm

fable wrote:I think DesR85 might be a good bet. He's level-headed, and knows the games. In fact, the only negative is that he's here too often. He could end up burning out.


DesR85 would be a good pick.
CYNIC, n.:
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
-[url="http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/a.html"]The Devil's Dictionary[/url]

User avatar
Xandax
Posts: 14151
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby Xandax » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:11 am

Chanak wrote:DesR85 would be a good pick.


Well, a number of us do not think so because of his rather close ties with the Nexus crowd. He might be a good guy, but personally - I will prefer to minimize the risk that confidential material pops up again.

I do not currently have much "game-help" experience outside the NwN and the NwN2 forums and mostly just look through the remainder for problems, so I can't really advice on many I think are "good".
Insert signature here.

User avatar
Chanak
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Pandemonium
Contact:

Postby Chanak » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 am

Xandax wrote:Well, a number of us do not think so because of his rather close ties with the Nexus crowd. He might be a good guy, but personally - I will prefer to minimize the risk that confidential material pops up again.

I do not currently have much "game-help" experience outside the NwN and the NwN2 forums and mostly just look through the remainder for problems, so I can't really advice on many I think are "good".


I was just made aware of that Nexus connection. No matter his forum presence and demeanor, I agree 100% - we can't afford the risk.
CYNIC, n.:
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
-[url="http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/a.html"]The Devil's Dictionary[/url]

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:51 am

fable wrote:He doesn't appear to have ever posted in SYM, and first posted extensively in V:TM Bloodlines before moving out into other action RPG titles. He seems genuinely helpful, and sticks within the rules.


I withdraw my tenative support of Acleacius. In this thread, Siberys (rightfully, in my opinion) removed a completely off topic post by Acleacius. The latter responded with a rather self-righteous tirade, apparently regarding his post removal as a personal attack. Admittedly he didn't push matters as far as a few irate members we've had, but I'm concerned Acleacius doesn't perceive after all this time why we remove off-topic posts, nor that these things are done because of rules rather than personal vendettas.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
dragon wench
Posts: 19609
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The maelstrom where chaos merges with lucidity
Contact:

Postby dragon wench » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:14 pm

I have another suggestion. If she has the time to spare (BS might know better than I) how about AC?
She's a long standing member, shows good judgement, is often helpful, and I haven't really seen her post regularly in SYM for at least a couple of years.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

User avatar
mr_sir
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby mr_sir » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:53 pm

dragon wench wrote:After all that... :o
I have a suggestion. If she has the time to spare (BS might know better than I) how about AC?
She's a long standing member, shows good judgement, is often helpful, and I haven't really seen her post regularly in SYM for at least a couple of years.


This is probably a daft question, but who is AC? Not sure if I've come across her on the forums.

User avatar
dragon wench
Posts: 19609
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The maelstrom where chaos merges with lucidity
Contact:

Postby dragon wench » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:07 pm

mr_sir wrote:This is probably a daft question, but who is AC? Not sure if I've come across her on the forums.


Sorry, I should have used her full name :o
Aqua Chan. She's an old member, rarely posts these days, but I see her around from time to time.
I figure, anyone who has the patience to create [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-9/bg2-faq-absolutely-no-spam-under-any-circumstance-25258.html"]a thread like this,[/url] has the fortitude to be a mod :D
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

User avatar
Bloodstalker
Posts: 15512
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Contact:

Postby Bloodstalker » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:11 pm

Just since I was mentiuoned, I figured I'd weigh in on AC. Personally, I think she be a good choice, both because of her personality and the fcat that she's constantly playing a lot of the games the boards cover. However, she has been a bit sporadic in her posting. Of course, she stays in lurk mode, so I'm not really sure if she browses the board often and simply doesn;t post that much anymore or not. I think she's probably here more than she appears to be at any rate. I do think that if she became a mod, she'd show herself more even if it's just in the forums she handled. She's sickeningly responsible like that.

Like I said, just offering my two cents since I was mentioned and I do know her pretty well. I'm not speaking up for or against her, mostly because I don't wanna be seen as showing any favoritism. I won't mention anything to her about it either, unless someone wants me to see if she would be interested since I don't wanna comment on what goes on in here anywhere else.

Like I said, I'll let you all hash it out. If people seem to want to see if she's interested, let me know and I'll bring it up to her.

I don't really know too many of the other names mentioned, so can't really comment on those.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

User avatar
Bloodstalker
Posts: 15512
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Contact:

Postby Bloodstalker » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:38 pm

I wasn't aware there was a difference. I just figured that the system didn;t display when you were on last. I was going by the last activity note on the profile page, and for me it doesn't even show members in lurk mode as having a last activity time while it does for members who are visible. I can see Chim was online today , but I just checked both your and AC's profile and don;t get a date for anything. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that I don;t seem to have acess to the same info for some reason. Maybe it's a thing with Super Mods or something, but I don't see that info when I check.

Like I said, I'm not involved unless someone wants me to mention it to her provided that was the decision. ;)
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

User avatar
Bloodstalker
Posts: 15512
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Contact:

Postby Bloodstalker » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:03 pm

fable wrote:I can see Chim was online today , but I just checked both your and AC's profile and don;t get a date for anything.

Oh, that's because the system apparently distinguishes by access level. I can see yours and Aqua-Chan's, but not Xandax's, who has the same exalted rank and station as...well, modesty forbids me. :rolleyes: ;) Wasn't aware you couldn't tell that Aqua-Chan had last visited the board at all 6 weeks ago.


I always suspected I didn't get the full goods in this deal. :p I'd riot, but then I might actually get added responsibility, so I think I'll pass.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

User avatar
dragon wench
Posts: 19609
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The maelstrom where chaos merges with lucidity
Contact:

Postby dragon wench » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:47 pm

I agree, AC would truly need to be here..

As far as asking her though, BS might be the better person to do it, I think he sees her more frequently than I do.
Plus, it probably depends on what other people think too.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

User avatar
mr_sir
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby mr_sir » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:23 am

I see no problem with someone asking her or with her being a mod (if she is around regularly). I don't really know who she is but people who have been here a lot longer than me seem to speak highly of her :)

User avatar
BuckGB
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:00 pm
Contact:

Postby BuckGB » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:52 am

No problem with Aqua Chan here. As long as she's willing to commit at least a few minutes each day to her assigned forums, I'd be happy to promote her account. Just let me know if you want me to shoot her an email or if someone here has a better way to get in touch with her.