Moderator Absences

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
BuckGB
Moderator Absences

Postby BuckGB » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:50 pm

For security purposes and to ensure proper moderating, I've decided that it's in my best interest to start removing the moderating privileges of any moderator that hasn't logged in for over a month. If you determine that you need to take an extended leave from GameBanshee, please let me know about it beforehand so that I keep your moderator status intact until your return.

If you're offline for much longer than expected (work, family concerns, etc.) and find that you've lost your moderator status (and still want to resume your moderating duties), just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to upgrade your account once again. This is mainly just a precaution to avoid having any unused moderator accounts lying around waiting to be hacked.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Since Brynn hasn't logged in since August, I've reverted her account to a standard registered user account.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:12 pm

Then we definitely need a mod for IWD2. Especially that Coot's just taken Mags's suggestion, and started a thread asking if Brynn is around, over in that forum.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Correct. Both of the Icewind Dale forums seem to get a fair amount of traffic, so I'd like to get one or more people added to both. Any takers?

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Buck,
since it is actually a game I own and can play on my ancient computer, I could take on IWD1 if need be. (I somehow managed to lose disc two of IWD2 :rolleyes: )
But only if nobody else would like it, seeing as my list of forums seems to have multiplied a bit :D
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:00 pm

That works for me, DW. Anyone want to tackle Icewind Dale II? If not, we may need to recruit another moderator to take Brynn's place.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Buck Satan wrote:That works for me, DW. Anyone want to tackle Icewind Dale II? If not, we may need to recruit another moderator to take Brynn's place.

OKay :)

If more mods are needed, may I suggest a newer member by the name of Philos? His posts are always quite thoughtful and intelligent, and I've seen that he plays IWD2.
Bluesky (another new member), also intelligent and level-headed, springs to mind as a possibility too.

Maybe there'll be no need to recruit more mods, or others here might have further suggestions, but I wanted to throw the names out in the event that more mods are required.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Buck Satan wrote:That works for me, DW. Anyone want to tackle Icewind Dale II? If not, we may need to recruit another moderator to take Brynn's place.

If we're looking for new moderators, in view of what's happened in the recent past, I'd like to suggest the following:

1) People who are longtime and frequent users of the board.
2) People who aren't SYMers--and therefore, aren't associated with any of SYM's subgroups, and haven't formed likes/dislikes among them. Literally, no SYM use. At all.
3) People who have demonstrated a great deal of respect for the rules.
4) People who are calm and methodical.

Unless, of course, we're looking for SYM mods, in which case familiarity with SYM helps. Just my opinion.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

fable

Postby fable » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:17 pm

I'd sacrifice the "long activity" part for the "no SYM part," though. As long as a person has been around, say, at least a year, and a regular poster in the gaming forums, I think we'd be able to judge fairly well how they would react as a moderator. Provided all the other concerns were met. too.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Yeah...quite probably..

I don't know people in the gaming forums as well as I do people in SYM, but I suspect you do know people fairly well in the gaming forums since your duties require you to be both omniscient and omnipresent :D ;)

fable

Postby fable » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:35 pm

dragon wench wrote:Yeah...quite probably..

I don't know people in the gaming forums as well as I do people in SYM, but I suspect you do know people fairly well in the gaming forums since your duties require you to be both omniscient and omnipresent :D ;)

You forget somnolent and mordant, but 'twill do. ;)

mr_sir

Postby mr_sir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:27 am

If you are looking for new moderators, then what about DesR85? He's a regular on several of the gaming forums and didn't start posting in SYM until after all the trouble, and stayed out of all of that. He also seems to respect the rules, and when I have contacted him for minor things he has been apologetic and helpful, and he regularly reports threads which he feels break the rules. Just my two cents worth :)

fable

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:34 am

I think DesR85 might be a good bet. He's level-headed, and knows the games. In fact, the only negative is that he's here too often. He could end up burning out.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:24 am

I don't know about Des#.
I pick up a bad vibe from him, but not something concrete I (right now at least) can point to; and it can just be something wrong with me :D (Didn't I/we see him at the Nexus forums as well?)
But for the gaming forums, I certainly think it would be good to pick somebody up there which aren't hardcore "SYMians"
Insert signature here.

fable

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 am

I don't see him listed as a Nexus forums member--not that this means anything. But intuitive is probably my leading trait (certainly not brains), so Xandax, what is it that gives you a bad vibe from him? I'm not close-minded about anything, and I'm genuinely curious. Do you think we're seeing the return of Rav? The posting style isn't all that dissimilar.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:37 am

fable wrote:I don't see him listed as a Nexus forums member--not that this means anything. <snip>

Viewing Profile
Insert signature here.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:38 am

Des doesn't seem like a bad guy...
I ought to mention though, I noticed while checking into Nexus around the time we had all of the trouble, he has an account at Nexus...
That does not mean automatically he wouldn't be good, but..

fable

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:42 am

Okay, that is suspicious. It looks like he's a regular Nexus contributor. I'd like to think he's just somebody who enjoys chatting about games, but with the recent crap that's come down, we all know that's unfortunately not the only explanation.

I have to say I think that more than 800 posts there rules him out. Not because of any proof, but because we don't want even the shadow of a possibility of another troll war being launched, here. And I write that despite our losing people I regarded as friends to that mess or just damn good members, too.

fable

Postby fable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:56 am

True. But Bluesky has only put up 73 posts, and 39 of those were in SYM. A number were in Other Entertainment, and few in the gaming forums.

Philos might work out, however.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:12 am

fable wrote:True. But Bluesky has only put up 73 posts, and 39 of those were in SYM. A number were in Other Entertainment, and few in the gaming forums.

Philos might work out, however.

Fair point.
A major reason I suggested Philos, aside from the fact that he seems thoughtful and level-headed, is because he has also posted quite extensively in both IWD forums.

Another couple of people who don't really seem to go near SYM (not much anyway) but always seem helpful in the game forums they post in are Raven_Song, and DaemonJ.