In This Thread, You Can Post About Problematic Members

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
fable

Postby fable » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:03 pm

C Elegans wrote:Thanks fable, that was indeed the thread I was referring to. Rent? I didn't even know you could rent games? And using a friends copy? But I'll wait for his response, if there is one.

I was informed by somebody in Australia that PC-based games can be rented there from video stores. Apparently, that's also the case in at least a few European countries.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

mr_sir

Postby mr_sir » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:30 pm

fable wrote:I was informed by somebody in Australia that PC-based games can be rented there from video stores. Apparently, that's also the case in at least a few European countries.

They can be rented in just the same way as dvds from video/dvd rental stores in the UK too. In fact, I know quite a few people that rent games to see if they like them, and then buy them. However, over here it tends to only be the latest releases that can be rented and usually only console versions not PC games so a rented copy of Planescape does sound very unlikely to me.

fable

Postby fable » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 pm

mr_sir wrote:They can be rented in just the same way as dvds from video/dvd rental stores in the UK too. In fact, I know quite a few people that rent games to see if they like them, and then buy them. However, over here it tends to only be the latest releases that can be rented and usually only console versions not PC games so a rented copy of Planescape does sound very unlikely to me.

Then that leaves borrowing a copy. He/she can still claim that. But let's see what happens.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Forum rules are here:

Site Features @ GameBanshee

Found it by a link in the SYM rules sticky.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

fable

Postby fable » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:29 am

As "A Needy Peasent" didn't deny Flix's accusation of his PS:T copy being pirated, but stated the old dodge that he couldn't buy it, I've gone ahead and issued a ban.

fable

Postby fable » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 am

Per this thread, GuardianTGI has gotten permission from Buck to post his beta RPG invite. So it's legit.

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:28 am

It's not really so much a problem as something I've been wondering about. The user Scottg has become a bit fond of linking to the Dragon Age wiki to answer questions in various threads in that forum. In most cases I deemed it acceptable since he was substantiating information that he himself had posted, but now he's simply linking to article pages by way of a solution.

I sent him a PM asking him to not do this, because even though our DA walkthrough is yet incomplete, it just seemed out of sorts to post a link to a page with all the quests and solutions listed without giving the most basic of responses in his post. Am I right in this?
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

fable

Postby fable » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:09 pm

I think what you did makes good sense, Aqua-Chan. It's one thing to offer it as a source of additional information, another to use it in place of actual interaction in solving personal difficulties with the game.

Also of note, today: I gave an infraction to Michelbo. He was spamming a bunch of Dungeon Lords problem threads by other people with his own problem--including one example, where he responded to somebody by saying, "You help me, and I'll help you." :rolleyes:

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:51 am

I am giving a minor infraction to ScottG for his repeated - and outright disrespectful in some instances - private messages to me demanding that I reverse my earlier decision on his posting of links with no content and concede that he did nothing wrong. I have explained to him that it was otherwise an insignificant matter and asked he simply let it go, but he seems to have a real bug in his craw about picking a fight over it. He's since suggested that I owe him an apology for my quote-unquote mishandling of the "situation".
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Aqua-chan wrote:I am giving a minor infraction to ScottG for his repeated - and outright disrespectful in some instances - private messages to me demanding that I reverse my earlier decision on his posting of links with no content and concede that he did nothing wrong. I have explained to him that it was otherwise an insignificant matter and asked he simply let it go, but he seems to have a real bug in his craw about picking a fight over it. He's since suggested that I owe him an apology for my quote-unquote mishandling of the "situation".

If he persists - point him towards Buck and alert Buck to the matter with a PM. Don't get sucked into annoying PM sending back and forth :)
Insert signature here.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Member [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=61572"]Dogeggs[/url]

Has blatantly admitted twice now to obtaining PDF versions of D&D books, one in his first thread, and one in his signature that details how to use a program to download said books for free.

Unless anyone disagrees, I'm pretty sure this is basic piracy and am requesting a ban because of such...
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

fable

Postby fable » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Siberys wrote:Member [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=61572"]Dogeggs[/url]

Has blatantly admitted twice now to obtaining PDF versions of D&D books, one in his first thread, and one in his signature that details how to use a program to download said books for free.

Unless anyone disagrees, I'm pretty sure this is basic piracy and am requesting a ban because of such...

Please excuse my ignorance on this. Are the D&D books you refer to available under copyright, only? Have you checked to see whether they are available for free?

And could you put up a link to his posts?

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 pm

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dungeons-and-dragons-24/lost-116826.html
i got the 3.5 books in pdf format

To be perfectly honest, I have yet to find any place that sells downloadable PDF versions of the 3.5 books. If there is such a thing, then I may just be jumping to conclusions.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

fable

Postby fable » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Siberys wrote:http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dungeons-and-dragons-24/lost-116826.html

To be perfectly honest, I have yet to find any place that sells downloadable PDF versions of the 3.5 books. If there is such a thing, then I may just be jumping to conclusions.

No, I just asked you to check on this. Since you made an allegation about it being pirated. It's not enough to be pretty sure, as you put it: we need to check to make certain that an item being downloaded is either being sold, or at least under copyright. In this case, it's still being sold.

So he's pirating it. He's banned. I've also pruned one thread he's started. Please delete any other of his posts.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Thought I should make mention of [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=62676"]this new member.[/url]
The name alone breaks forum rules.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:59 pm

DW, I've already relayed my concerns about that and several other similar people who show up as "guests," without IPs. They shouldn't appear at all, or have any name, if they never registered.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:17 pm

fable wrote:DW, I've already relayed my concerns about that and several other similar people who show up as "guests," without IPs. They shouldn't appear at all, or have any name, if they never registered.

Yeah... that "guest" moniker confused the Hell out of me too.

On a different note, might want to keep an eye on NarutoAngel221. He's put a whole lot up posts up that are fairly empty of content, but I'm not sure if they're meaningless enough to take some kind of action?
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 pm

dragon wench wrote:Yeah... that "guest" moniker confused the Hell out of me too.

Buck's responded now that he doesn't know why "guests" are showing up in the database, but he's banned this person.

On a different note, might want to keep an eye on NarutoAngel221. He's put a whole lot up posts up that are fairly empty of content, but I'm not sure if they're meaningless enough to take some kind of action?

Agreed. :rolleyes: He's almost bad enough to figure for somebody trying to imitate an over-the-top kid, but not quite. We'll just need to keep an eye on him, and remove posts that are necrobumps or offtopic, with suitable PMs to let him know what's going on.

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Does Salidin seem a bit off to anyone? He just seems a bit odd for some reason, and his last few posts in the following thread, starting around post # 29 just make me twitchy.

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dragon-age-origins-70/dragon-age-vs-oblivion-116855.html"]http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dragon-age-origins-70/dragon-age-vs-oblivion-116855.html[/url]

I don't know, probably just me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else thought some of his actions a little strange.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

fable

Postby fable » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 am

Bloodstalker wrote:Does Salidin seem a bit off to anyone? He just seems a bit odd for some reason, and his last few posts in the following thread, starting around post # 29 just make me twitchy.

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dragon-age-origins-70/dragon-age-vs-oblivion-116855.html"]http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dragon-age-origins-70/dragon-age-vs-oblivion-116855.html[/url]

I don't know, probably just me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else thought some of his actions a little strange.

I've removed his last three, and gave him a warning for excessive spamming. What's strange is that in each one he quotes the same material, and seems to build on what he posted, before. It's as though he'd never heard of the edit button. And the responses are...well, as you note, strange. Bears watching.