In This Thread, You Can Post About Problematic Members

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Aqua-chan wrote:Given tx3000's first posts on the boards consisted of a very trollish outburst in the Dragon Age forum, I would suggest, at the very least, a temp ban if that isn't out of sorts.

Though frankly, if I could get an perma-ban on the kid so I won't have to deal with him OR the plethora of people now PMing me about it, that would be just peachy.


He's definitely the kind to confuse his personal opinions with self-evident facts, and respond nastily. I don't see any infractions on his account, however. As the system may have missed these, does anyone recall giving tx3000 an infraction, and if so, for what? If not, Aqua-chan, do you think his responses merit jumping the queue all the way to a temp ban, at this point? I'm not sure I see this. A major flame, yes, but do you think it should go beyond that?
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Bloodstalker
Posts: 15512
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Contact:

Postby Bloodstalker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:47 pm

fable wrote:He's definitely the kind to confuse his personal opinions with self-evident facts, and respond nastily. I don't see any infractions on his account, however. As the system may have missed these, does anyone recall giving tx3000 an infraction, and if so, for what? If not, Aqua-chan, do you think his responses merit jumping the queue all the way to a temp ban, at this point? I'm not sure I see this. A major flame, yes, but do you think it should go beyond that?


He's only got 9 posts, all made today, and 8 of those are straight out of the thread in question. He's also just joined today and went straight into a hostile tone in trashing a game on a forum dedicated to that game. To me, that screams troll. It's really a stretch for me to think that the guy didn't just join for the express purpose of stirring the pot in this instance.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

User avatar
Aqua-chan
Posts: 4607
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:17 am
Location: Right Off Elsewhere
Contact:

Postby Aqua-chan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:50 pm

I thought I gave him an infraction, but I guess it didn't go.

It's pretty evident to me he created the account for the sole purpose of airing out his gripes. He says he's been on other forums and got backlash responses for his... clumsily expressed opinions, and I suppose he thought he could get away with it here.

I tend to be pretty lax in invoking the Almighty Powers of Mod, and maybe some folks PMing me are just a bit touchy, I don't know. At any rate, since it is his first official warning I'm willing to parley for now. At least until he does it again, at which point my opinion will probably change.
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Aqua-chan wrote:I thought I gave him an infraction, but I guess it didn't go.


I'm still not seeing any infraction on his account, and I've tried looking at both his profile, and by clicking on the Infractions icon above any of his posts. Try again, then bring up his profile, hit the double arrow to the right of the Friends tab, and click Infractions to see if it takes. If it doesn't, we have a problem on our hands, and you should probably contact Buck (after giving tx3000 a rough-and-ready infraction of your own design for 40 points via PM).

It's pretty evident to me he created the account for the sole purpose of airing out his gripes. He says he's been on other forums and got backlash responses for his... clumsily expressed opinions, and I suppose he thought he could get away with it here.


He certainly seems to be playing the "I'm right no matter what you say, because I know it, and I'm always right" card, and I think you're correct to close the thread. And he hasn't posted anywhere else, except a (rather arrogant) thread about playing on Vista. I'd like that infraction to be in place, however, just in case he either starts up the same problems elsewhere on the board, or starts razzing you via PMs.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Aqua-chan
Posts: 4607
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:17 am
Location: Right Off Elsewhere
Contact:

Postby Aqua-chan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 am

It's always lovely to wake up to the love letters of idiots in my inbox. Six of them, to be exact.

[QUOTE=tx3000]Then go ahead and ban my account since you are acting like a total whiny douche ****, that doesn't even know how to mod. I showed that topic you closed for no apparant reason to 15 plus other people, and they all said you do not know how to mod either if your closing threads for no reason.

Go learn how to mod please![/QUOTE]


And the real gem here.

[QUOTE=tx3000]Oh yeah in all fairness, I forgot to tell you that attempting to message me back is useless, because no messages from you from this point on will ever reach my inbox.

You can play this abuse game with other people but it won't work with me, you see I have a program that I use for people just like you that all I have to do is enter a name into it, and anything incoming from that name gets flagged and deleted,

it's my way of not allowing mods to abuse their not being able to block from PMing power.

maybe when you can grow up and follow your own forum rules I will decide to think about removing your forum name from my program name list, and one other thing, trying to have other mods message me for you because you cannot get through, will only result in their names going on that list as well.

So you will be getting them blocked.

So as of this message if you try to message me I won't ever know. And if you think I'm kidding just try and message me.

Thanks and have a good life.[/QUOTE]

Can we ban now?
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:56 am

He's banned. I bet that'll pop his teenage pimples when he tries to get back in. If you want to soft delete his thread, feel free. There was potential in it for real content, but his personality prevented any of that from taking place.

EDIT: Also banned Flower Shops, a new member who put a link to a page advertising flowers in an Oblivion thread about herbs. Points at least for consistency.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:56 am

fable wrote:Cambios is due back from his 30 days' ban in less than a day. Please let me know if he starts posting links to ad sites, or site that link to ads, etc. The usual.


Well, and he was just at it again. Posted a link about MMO emulated servers in SYM that led (once more) to a short article he wrote in his online magazine with plenty of ads. He's been warned repeatedly about this in the past, and was given 30 days last time as a temp ban. Now he's out.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Aqua-chan
Posts: 4607
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:17 am
Location: Right Off Elsewhere
Contact:

Postby Aqua-chan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Is anyone else getting bad vibes from Slessman's blog posts? At first I had just chalked it up to enthusiastic fan reviews of this "Ryzom" game, but after reading his stuff I feel like I've just been given a sales pitch. The over-the-top compliments of the game quality, how great the community is, how challenging it can sometimes be -- in addition to how frequently he updates the blog itself -- send up red flags.

Or perhaps I'm paranoid.

At any rate, he hasn't done anything to break the rules. It could be a very clever advertiser, or may simply be a very excited MMO player. A VERY excited one. Personally, I'm inclined to lean towards the former, but it's only a hunch.
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Aqua-chan wrote:Is anyone else getting bad vibes from Slessman's blog posts? At first I had just chalked it up to enthusiastic fan reviews of this "Ryzom" game, but after reading his stuff I feel like I've just been given a sales pitch. The over-the-top compliments of the game quality, how great the community is, how challenging it can sometimes be -- in addition to how frequently he updates the blog itself -- send up red flags.


GMTA. ;) I'd searched on the game and his moniker not 2 hours ago, and found the exact same blogs (plus 2 more) in another forum at GamePro, plus a few more posts touting Ryzom by him, in several other forums. I'd sent him a request not to put up identical or even near identical content in blogs here, because of the impression it gives. If he continues, I'll delete the blogs and ban him. If he stops, well, we'll just see. My guess is that he's either a wide-eyed enthusiast, or an employee.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Bloodstalker
Posts: 15512
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Hell if I know
Contact:

Postby Bloodstalker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:04 pm

I've deleted a thread started by Schot in the RPG discussion forum. It was just a basic link to a map he made for Sacred 2. I've PM'd him to tell him he could use his sig to link to the site since I couldn't find anything wrong with the site itself. Just mentioning it at the moment.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Got this back from my PM to Slessman:

Understood. All content will be unique from now on. Sorry about that. I just want as many people to get the same information as possible. The game is just really underrated and I want to change that. There is just so much that a single gamer can do.


I've seen some really zealous gamers before online, and even met a few when I was GMing for DragonRealms. So he sounds legit, at this point.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Xandax
Posts: 14151
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby Xandax » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:46 am

fable wrote:Got this back from my PM to Slessman:



I've seen some really zealous gamers before online, and even met a few when I was GMing for DragonRealms. So he sounds legit, at this point.


As long as he's not advertising some gold selling service and the likes or if he's a SoR employee getting percentages, I see little issue with his blogs to be honest - even if duplicated content across multiple sites.

He'll not gain much benefit however because those of us who know about SoR know whether to avoid it or not and the rest aren't interested in such lazy written and uninformative "blog" posts. And GB is generally not a MMO crowd it seems, so.... :D
Insert signature here.

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:21 am

As long as he's not advertising some gold selling service and the likes or if he's a SoR employee getting percentages, I see little issue with his blogs to be honest - even if duplicated content across multiple sites.


Thing is, someone could point out that if it's reproducing stuff he's doing elsewhere, then it's an ad. Which could open a can of worms.

But frankly, I suspect Slessman will find it boring when his enthusiasm runs up against the utter lack of interest, here. Then he will migrate looking for new worlds to conquer. ;)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Maharlika
Posts: 5991
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: Wanderlusting with my lampshade, like any decent k
Contact:

Postby Maharlika » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 am

Stinky Tricky?

[color="Teal"]What's with Tricky and his Stinky thread in SYM? Fable? Anyone?

If I didn't know, it sounds like a sarcastic jab at the fabulous one.[/color]
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2


Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM


[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:55 am

Maharlika wrote:[color="Teal"]What's with Tricky and his Stinky thread in SYM? Fable? Anyone?

If I didn't know, it sounds like a sarcastic jab at the fabulous one.[/color]


I have no idea, and I don't know why he named me--but this is Tricky, and he likes teasing. My guess is that everybody else is just as confused as we are.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
Xandax
Posts: 14151
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby Xandax » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 am

Maharlika wrote:[color="Teal"]What's with Tricky and his Stinky thread in SYM? Fable? Anyone?

If I didn't know, it sounds like a sarcastic jab at the fabulous one.[/color]


My guess is that it was indeed flamebaiting/trolling because tricky got offended or annoyed once more - but as fable says - I think everybody is puzzled by the "meaning" behind it, so I personally just think we should let it stand as nobody is the wiser :D
Insert signature here.

User avatar
dragon wench
Posts: 19609
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The maelstrom where chaos merges with lucidity
Contact:

Postby dragon wench » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 pm

OK.. glad it's not just me who is mystified. I read that thread several times and I was totally unable to decipher what he was trying to say :D

As far as Tricky goes.. He's not generally malicious, I know him relatively well, he can just be a bit bizarre at times
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

User avatar
C Elegans
Posts: 9935
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: The space within
Contact:

Postby C Elegans » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Someone posted in the Planescape forum that s/he has an illegal copy of the game. I was just about to give the member a major infraction and send a PM quoting the forum rules, when I realised I can't find the forum rules. Where are they? Sorry if this has been brought up before, nothing ever happens in my forums.
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

Moderator of Planescape: Torment, Diablo I & II and Dungeon Siege forums

User avatar
fable
Posts: 30676
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:00 pm
Location: The sun, the moon, and the stars.
Contact:

Postby fable » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:32 pm

C Elegans wrote:Someone posted in the Planescape forum that s/he has an illegal copy of the game. I was just about to give the member a major infraction and send a PM quoting the forum rules, when I realised I can't find the forum rules. Where are they? Sorry if this has been brought up before, nothing ever happens in my forums.


If it's what was posted earlier, today, then I saw that, too. What they posted was:

I'll post any news that happens if it happens, thanks for your suggestion. Though if any more Mort/ghost lover crossovers happen again I'll probably actually buy the game.


That's not quite an admission of having a pirate copy. If we ban them (and no, I can't find the rules now, either), they could complain to Buck that they're using a friend's copy, or one they rented. That's almost certainly not the case, but I suggest waiting to see how they respond to GawainBS's piracy accusation.

As for the rules, you might ask Buck to put 'em up. ;)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

User avatar
C Elegans
Posts: 9935
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: The space within
Contact:

Postby C Elegans » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks fable, that was indeed the thread I was referring to. Rent? I didn't even know you could rent games? And using a friends copy? But I'll wait for his response, if there is one.

So I am not blind then, I've been looking all over the place for the forum rules. I'll better send a PM to Buck about it, it's good to have them easily accessible. It's good to have them at all, actually :D
"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." - Hippocrates

Moderator of Planescape: Torment, Diablo I & II and Dungeon Siege forums