In This Thread, You Can Post About Problematic Members

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
fable

Postby fable » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm

The comments Saladin put up today are more of the same kind of thing, though he seems to be following on tangents started by others. Talk about dark, violent humor! I deleted one:

Well it depends. If you seriously think that DA:O is better than Oblivion, then you get a cookie and a punch in the gut for being completely mainstream and a for being a lemming. If you don't think DA:O is better than Oblivion but you just want to fit in, then you get a cookie made with cyanide and feces for trying to run away from the free-spirited indi crowd.

Might want to keep an eye on his posts.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

fable

Postby fable » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

...and Salidin gets stranger, still. He began posting today in a thread about Oblivion glitches several instances that weren't glitches, but where he led NPCs into attacking and killing other NPCs. Including perma-drowning them, since they couldn't get out of the water, but couldn't drown. (Which is kind of sick to waste your time on, but that's neither here nor there.) When I asked that the thread stay on course, he began arguing that anything that goes wrong in a game, including whatever is created by a player, is a glitch.

Kept arguing through several posts--and then finally sent me a friendly PM suggesting we just call a halt to this and I remove all the posts. I agreed, at which point he put a post asking the thread starter whom he agreed with on the point of what a glitch is. :rolleyes: Salidin's gotten himself his first infraction, after being warned several times, most recently last night. Once he sees it, I guess we'll discover how he handles disappointment.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 pm

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/non-rpg-discussion-15/what-game-are-you-playing-67905-p12.html"]http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/non-rpg-discussion-15/what-game-are-you-playing-67905-p12.html[/url]

Deleted a post by softmmo.His first post, linking to a site advertising free MMO's and such.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

fable

Postby fable » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Bloodstalker wrote:[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/non-rpg-discussion-15/what-game-are-you-playing-67905-p12.html"]http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/non-rpg-discussion-15/what-game-are-you-playing-67905-p12.html[/url]

Deleted a post by softmmo.His first post, linking to a site advertising free MMO's and such.

Banned.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 pm

We need a ban on Linalee who is putting up links to gold farming sites in the Baldur's Gate forum, SYM.. and who knows where else.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Done.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 am

I just noticed that in the Oblivion forum a brand new member, Titan13579, is answering threads dating back to 2007.
It's entirely possible he just hasn't seen the date and doesn't realise the person who posted the original thread is long gone, but could be worth keeping an eye on nonetheless.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

fable

Postby fable » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 pm

He's a troll. Not only necrobumping, but providing useless comments in threads that were all previously answered. Already requested a ban from Buck.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Please ban user [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=62163"]imatreryimifS[/url]

Russian Spambot.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

fable

Postby fable » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Siberys wrote:Please ban user [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=62163"]imatreryimifS[/url]

Russian Spambot.

Sent onto Buck.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 am

Deleted a thread in the Dungeons and Dragons forum advertising custom made character portraits.

Seemed like a legit person as opposed to a bot of any kind, so I soft-deleted the thread and told him to go to Buck for permission to advertise his service.

Just posting the info here for reference.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:25 am

Member [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/member.php?u=67633"]moonll[/url] is a spambot. Requesting ban.

fable

Postby fable » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:12 am

Forwarded to Buck.

Maharlika

Postby Maharlika » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:11 am

Please Ban.

RipSceltylece posted some encrypted(?) advert on the Religious Topic Thread. Spambot perhaps?
[color="DarkRed"]"There is no weakness in honest sorrow... only in succumbing to depression over what cannot be changed."[/color] --- Alaundo, BG2

Brother Scribe, Keeper of the Holy Scripts of COMM

[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/"]Moderator, Speak Your Mind Forum[/url]
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/speak-your-mind-16/sym-specific-rules-please-read-before-posting-14427.html"]SYM Specific Forum Rules[/url]

fable

Postby fable » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 am

I've passed it along to Buck.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm

In the future, please pass along all your requests for bans to Buck. The changes to the board have meant that neither Xan nor myself can ban anyone any longer, so you might as well PM him directly.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Just to reiterate what I wrote earlier, perhaps clearer:

Neither Xan nor I can ban anyone. If you see spambots, etc, don't use report. Send a PM directly to Buck.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:31 am

fable wrote:Just to reiterate what I wrote earlier, perhaps clearer:

Neither Xan nor I can ban anyone. If you see spambots, etc, don't use report. Send a PM directly to Buck.

That's unfortunate, makes for an inefficient system. People are starting to notice too:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gamebanshee-discussion-8/spam-117424.html

We've had a veritable invasion of Russian spam bots lately.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am

Let me see if I can explain...

The primary upgrade that was made to GameBanshee last year was the migration of my old, archaic content management system to Joomla. Since Joomla and vBulletin are entirely different pieces of software that don't talk to each other, I had to install a "bridge" called JFusion that synchronizes user accounts across both systems.

Unfortunately, we discovered a side effect after the migration was complete - users can now only be banned with the Joomla user manager. This means that only Joomla administrators can take care of bans, and that leaves me and me alone. I'd love nothing more than to grant access to Fable or Xandax to take care of this, but Joomla isn't as neatly configured as vBulletin. Basically, in order to give someone the rights to do the banning, I'd have to give them administrative rights to alter anything and everything on the site.

It's not that I don't trust Fable or Xandax, I do. I'm just not comfortable handing out administrative rights when even a couple of accidental clicks could delete or otherwise knock out entire areas of the site.

It sucks, and I'm trying to find a solution. I've hired a team to work on other Joomla issues right now, and if all goes well, I'll be rehiring them for another project afterward and will be including some vBulletin/Joomla/JFusion fixes within the requirements.

Again, I'm only one man, and there's only so much I can do in a 24-hour period. In fact, I'm typing this post while my son naps - he's been home sick from daycare for the last two days, so I've been taking on dad duties when I literally have a massive pile of work in front of me. At the moment, I have two articles that need to be published, I have to spotlight our newly finished Dragon Age walkthrough, I have to spend a few dozen more hours with King's Bounty: Armored Princess to get the subsite launched, and there are some behind-the-scenes backup routines that I've been fighting with. I also post 99% of all our news, and that includes maintaining screenshots, trailers, box art, our RPG database, and all that fun stuff.

So please bear with me, I'm handling everything I can as quickly as I can :) .

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Fair enough Buck. I hope your son gets better soon (I know what that's like) :)
I just sent you some account names for purging.