Three Moderators Step Down, Feedback Requested

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
BuckGB
Three Moderators Step Down, Feedback Requested

Postby BuckGB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 am

Bloodstalker, Aqua-Chan, and now Fable have all requested to step down from their moderating duties in recent days. In the case of the first two, the main issue they cited was that there were too many members here that "couldn't get out of the 90's" and that they were killing any conversation about new, more action-heavy RPGs like Mass Effect.

As for Fable, he really hasn't been happy here for quite awhile. After making a point of telling me (multiple times) that he hasn't posted here in over a month, the forums are "dead", and he's displeased with decisions I've made over the past few months (the Joomla upgrade and my refusal to give Aqua-Chan a warning over a particular thread), it may honestly be for the best.

That leaves ten people on our moderating team, and I'm hoping to get a little feedback from those of you who remain. What should be done to drum up more interest on the forums? Are certain members really killing the conversations about new games? What can I do differently to bring more life to the forums?

Please feel free to air your laundry. If you think I'm at fault, please tell me. If you think there are certain things that could be done - big or small - to make the membership happier, I'd love to hear it. Basically, if you were me, what would you do to keep the community alive?

My time on the computer will be limited today (my son is still sick), but feel free to post here or PM me and I will do my best to address any concerns or recommendations any of you have.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 am

For the sake of having a starting point, here is part of the feedback Bloodstalker sent me before he left. Do any of you agree or disagree?

Well, all I can really tell you is my impressions. And mostly, it kind of seems, to me at least, that the forums and the rest of the site are moving in really different directions.

GB is growing,branching out and trying to move with the way things are going in the gaming world. The forums, by contrast, just seem to be stuck. The best way I can describe it is it's kind of like some people never really moved past the 90's.

Put it this way, in the main site, with reviews and so on, comparisons to older games are more or less a given. That's the function of reviewing games, to give the reviewers impressions. People go to the reviews because they genuinely want to see how new games stack up.

On the forums, you get that sometimes in threads that ask for impressions and so forth. But you also get people coming into the place who are genuinely excited about a new game and don't neccessarily want to hear about how something stacks up to older games. Many of them simply don't care. Baldur's Gate and Planescape were great games, but they are so old now that many members have no clue what the big deal is anyway. All too often, to me at least, nostalgia undermines the atmosphere for people who just want to talk about the newer games.

In some ways, it's kind of like the old cliche about a bunch of oldtimers sitting around argueing back and forth about how much better it was in the old days. It's fine and dandy for those who remember those days, but for others, it's kinda the same thing as going to a concert and finding yourself surrounded by Beatles fans who won't let you enjoy the music you like because they keep screaming about how "this ain't REAL music." And it's kind of overdone anyway. Dragon Age was a really good game I thought, as was Witcher. And yet in both cases, during the leadup process before the game came out, there was an intense feeling of pessimism over the board about both games. Which, granted, is reasonable in certain threads where that kind of discussion was asked for. But sometimes, I think it's best to to just keep those kinds of critical comments unsaid if they aren't asked for. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you always should, and I think sometimes it can actually hurt more than help.

I just think that sometimes, some members tend to spend a lot of time promoting older games over the newer ones to the point it gets a bit uncomfortable for people. This generation of gamers, on the whole, is not going to get past the graphic deficiencies of the older games to be able to play them. That's just the way it is, it's very difficult to go back that far when you aren't used to that sort of thing regardless of how good the story is. Sometimes, when they mention they can't deal with the graphics, they tend to get replies that make it sound like "if you were really a RPGer, that wouldn't matter"....which is easy to say when you played the games when they were new. And Hell, I've probably done the same thing on occaison myself. It's hard not to do it, and you think you're turning these younger gamers on to something very cool, but again it's kind of like the whole "That ain't real music, THIS is real music cause I grew up with it" kinda thing. Some people will give it a shot, most people write us off as old fogeys and just chalk the place up as an old timers forum. which, I think, is exactly the opposite direction of where you want the boards to go.

How to deal with it? I honestly have no idea. As I said, it could just be me here. Given your responsibilites, what I would suggest is to mark one or two forums out in your mind. Pick a game that will be pretty big, but that hasn't been overly well recieved by the hard core audience. Something like Mass Effect 3 and just check in on the forums maybe once a week in the few months leadin up to it's actual release and slightly afterwards. It wouldn't be that much to read through since posting is down anyway, and it's just limited to one or two games you decide to use.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Personally, my main concern with the site is the new look. I deal with it but I'll be honest, it is so different from any other forum I've ever been to that it's really hard to get used to.

We also have an unnecessary number of places to post messages. I can understand the forums and then the private messages, but then there are visitor messages, blogs, social groups, and so on. It seems like it can get confusing on where and how to talk to people if you're a new member.

One major thing to keep in mind is that for most people, this is a game walkthrough and review site. Akin to IGN or gamespot, most people who come here, come for the walkthroughs, previews, reviews and so on, they don't really care about the forums or anything. And that's probably because this is the way it's advertised. The site seems to lead people into those walkthroughs, reviews and previews (as it should considering that's where the real hard work you guys go through is in), and the forums are a tertiary and even to some, unnecessary feature.

I like the forums obviously, and I like the fact that there's a place to play some D&D games online without some seriously messed up rules for gaming (not gaming rules, forum rules for using the gaming boards that is). I also like that their is a forum dedicated to a discussion of damn near anything anyone wants to talk about, but not everyone would appreciate that.

If someone registers here, goes to the SYM forums and sees a thread that they absolutely do not approve of, they're either going to respond viciously, or never come back. Maybe it doesn't even have to be something they disagree with, maybe the idea of speak your mind is too abstract and yet too strict at the same time. Speak your mind suggests you can say pretty much anything you want but if someone starts a thread with nothing but "Hi, I'm new here," then this would either likely be deleted, ignored, or merged in with a new thread.

I dunno, maybe it's all speculation and I'm simply underestimating the intelligence of the average member, but one thing is for certain, the forums are not user friendly.

I'm a computer nerd and they are difficult to deal with for me, and my friend that registered to join the games, we literally went through hell and back just to figure out why she couldn't do virtually anything on the forums. So...I could be wrong, or I could be totally correct, it doesn't really matter. This is simply my opinion and I only hope it helps in some way.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

mr_sir

Postby mr_sir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 pm

It is true that many older members compare everything with games like Baldur's Gate etc., but I haven't really considered it a problem before now. To be honest, I don't think there is much that can be done about that anyway without censoring peoples' opinions (which would not be a good thing).

As for forum traffic, I think a big part of the problem is that many "social" gamers play MMORPGs and chat to their guilds etc. rather than post on gaming forums. And those that are "less social", simply ask for help when they need it and other than that just use the walkthrough.

I also have issues with the new layout as I find it is not as user friendly as the old layout, but I'm adjusting to it a bit now. This could be putting off new members, particularly the younger gamers who are used to getting to where they want to go with one or two clicks.

Lastly, I do think there is a certain amount of snobbery, for want of a better word, towards younger posters. Often those with poorer literacy skills or that come across child like are corrected by older posters, or have their posts ignored. One suggestion to get around this, is maybe to have a section of the forums that is for older gamers, and then a section that is for everyone and is tailored more towards the younger generation. I'm not sure if this would be feasable or even if it would solve any of the issues mentioned above though. Another thought would be to have a section for "old school" rpgs and then a section for the newer, more action based rpgs. That way the two are seperated and it might help reduce the number of, often unfair, comparisons to older "classic" games that BS has mentioned.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Since first seeing this thread earlier today I've been musing on how to answer it.....
Where to begin? My thoughts may be rambling and scattered, because there are so many different pieces, so be warned ;)

As with many of you, I've been here since 2001. I joined in the heyday of BG2, and in looking for information on that game, I stumbled into a forum environment that was simultaneously: respectful, rollicking and intelligent. Very soon thereafter I began writing in the fan fiction saga known as the Dark Flames, and I met a a wonderful group of people, many of whom became close friends. But it weren't just the DFers, the community in general actually felt like a virtual home in some ways, and I connected with many others as well.

I stayed, and I'm still here. Yet... of late I too have sometimes questioned why I remain. I browse through these forums.. so empty now they almost echo... for a long time I've felt a little as though I'm in a senior citizens home... watching my fellows depart.. one by one.

I have asked myself why I haven't left... I suppose it's a mixture of nostalgia, habit, loyalty and the fact that it doesn't take much to check on my forums every day or two.

For the most part, I agree with BS. He and I have discussed the issue extensively over MSN. There's a pervasive sense here... almost reminiscent of an oft-repeated scripture... that no game, no matter how in depth, no matter how thoughtful, no matter how complex.. will EVER equal BG2 and PS:T. And yes, before anyone says it, I too have been guilty of frequently voicing such sentiments. However, that was before Witcher and Dragon Age came out. As BS states, they are damned good games... but according to those who insist otherwise, they are still not good enough. I won't directly name names or point fingers, but all you need to do is poke around the Dragon Age forums a bit to find evidence of what I'm talking about. I like and respect many of the people who have dissed Witcher and DAO, and I'm sympathetic to their general dissatisfaction with many newer games... as I said, I've voiced my own complaints on the matter frequently enough.
But, at a certain point it just becomes irritating to read that "X" game will never hold a candle to the old favourites. Indeed, I have tried really hard to refrain from being overly negative over the last year or two because if the continued refrain annoys somebody like me, it must surely scare away any new or prospective member who's excited about "X" title.

I'm not by any means suggesting that we all become mindless sycophants. Many titles, both new and old, deserve criticism. Nonetheless, such a continuous and repetitive refrain is just as annoying as the mindless drooling that causes slime puddles at the fanboy sites. At times I've felt the only thing separating GB from places like RPG Codex or NMA is the language filter. And, I really do not mean that in a good way.
I will not visit the afore-mentioned sites because I see them as a bunch of whiny, wannabee "baddass" types who figure they have to hate everything in order to acquire "street cred." These are the same people who espouse the indie music scene, yet as soon as a band becomes popular the wannabee badasses label the group as "sell outs" (even if said band hasn't, in fact, changed their style).

So... what to do?

I really do not know...

Apart from the culture of negativity that has grown at GB other factors have come into play. Gaming developers have realised the importance of building virtual communities around their titles; they are much more aware of it now than in the days of BG2 when this site became so popular. This means that even when Dragon Age came out the bulk of players posted at the official forums.

There are other factors as well, namely in the form of IMs and social media like Facebook. I find it quite ironic that about half of my facebook contacts come from GB, and fairly often "threads" will begin there that resemble the joking conversations that used to occur on GB. Quite a few of those contacts have spoken about the decreased posting at GB. As I said... Ironic.
This does lead me to wonder though... if people are posting at FB rather than GB.. is it a time issue, a simple way to stay in touch with all contacts, both from GB and outside of it? Or, is it deeper?

But OK, that's probably enough waxing (: D) ...
Onto more practical considerations, I think there might be room to make the references to our forums a bit more prominent on the walkthrough pages. Right now the link is at the upper right hand side. I've worked with the public, and trust me, most people do NOT read anything unless it's staring directly at them in front of the nose. Even then, there's still a really good chance many will develop acute blindness and not see the thing madly waving its arm and demanding to be read. I'm not sure if this is basic stupidity or if it's a tendency to be oblivious to anything outside a narrow area of focus.

I also had a thought: While it would require close monitoring, for obvious reasons, I think it would make sense to put this question (in modified form) out to the general membership. Though, instead of talking about whether or not the forums have declined maybe couch it in terms of something like, "What would you like to see?" "What are your favourite things about GB?" "Which areas could use improvement?" etc.
Perhaps place the thread in SYM with the title: "Speak Your Mind." :D Seriously.

I make the suggestion because most of us here are part of the "old and crusty" community... :p Thus, you may get a fresher perspective by asking the more diversified member base.
If we were to do something like this, I'd advise allowing debate to flow freely... to encourage it, while maintaining a respectful exchange.

My few thoughts at the moment, anyway.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:48 am

I've thought long and hard about to address this issue, because I myself have started feeling "fatigue" of moderating and have been thinking of stepping aside/down a couple of times.
I think I'm about one of the oldest active members of this site and have been a moderator here for much of that time, through the highs, the lows and the inbetweens.
GameBanshee has been a part of my "life" so to speak for near 10 years and much of my internet-persona have been shaped here. I still visit GB every single day, I'm not as active posting here, but I visit out of a sense of loyalty, interest in the games featured and well - I like this site. Despite the adverts :D

I can only repeat some of the statements from the others as well.

I do agree very much that we're some who might be caught in the 90s when it comes to computer games. Despite I like many of the new games and spend a good deal of time arguing the pros, I also instinctively compare to "old games". However to be frank - that goes for any gathering of gamers because now gamers aren't just "kids/teens" any more - we're old gamers as well all over the place and history exists now. It happens in about every game on every forum I see, for any game.
So I'm not sure that it is as much a problem for me, although some of the opinions can be confrontational. So it might be an issue for some, but I doubt you can avoid it anywhere and I doubt it could be a real problem and not just an excuse to use to cover other reasons.

It might very well be we need an entire generation change for the forum. Simply put, us "old timers" might need to step aside, but I'm not sure there's a new generation ready to take over either, simply because I question the forums existence. But it is one of the reasons I've not posted much and when I post I try to not be too "old times were better", because I fully know understand nostalgia and the clouded memories it bring.

But Dragon Wench touches upon a very important. When this forum went live - "social communities" were mostly limited to sites like GameBanshee. Some sites became the de facto unofficial official forum for a game and two. BG/BG2 was GameBanshee and brought the traffic and the lingerers.
Now - developers like Bethesda, Obsidian, Bioware, Blizzard and so on all have their own communities - for better and, in case of GB, for worse. People socialize there. I'm not very active on the social Bioware site but I see much of the same socializing going on there as we saw here back "in the days".
This means a lot of forum traffic will go to sites like that.

Furthermore, as also touched upon by DW, sites like Facebook takes over much of the social function of for example SYM. I'm not an active facebook person, but I too have many people from many walks of life as friends "over there". And it is just easier for people to socialize where there's more different people to socialize with - and not have to visit 10 different forums to keep up. Bring in other social things like twitter and more on - I simply think people have their socializing needs met elsewhere.

Blogs are also a thing which takes traffic away. I know many of the things I'd previously have posted here is written on one of my blogs, but I do try to use the blog here as well to encourage traffic to them.

I think GameBanshee holds much value, but I think the value's much more limited to news about games and walkthroughs over the forum itself and the social aspects, because much of the forum is taken over by official sites and other social sites.
Whether to scrap the forums, reduce the forums or what not - I can't say as it isn't my site and my decisions. But I do think many sites like GameBanshee is going through the same development. To name one, a forum that got extensive use when I played DAoC is now all but completely dead. And I see this all over the place.

If it was me, I'd analyze what kind of traffic the site is getting, which direction I want the site to take and then try to map those two together. I have no idea how popular visitor wise GB is, and how content is consumed by the users, but my gut feeling tells me that the forum in itself has played its part.

I have no golden answers and can bring little clarity I fear - but ultimately - I think the question lies with; What you want this site to become?
Personally, I'd question the worth of the forum itself, and if the forum is worth it - I don't think there's anything really to do to move from the current state, because it is competing with Facebook and that ilk plus the official forums.
Insert signature here.

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Before I address some of the issues, let me just say that I really appreciate everything all of you have done over the years. You guys have stuck around for a long time, and for that I'm very grateful. This place wouldn't have made it as long as it has without your participation.

Looking over the above posts, the general consensus seems to be that a) the layout isn't very user-friendly, b) some of the long-time members aren't very welcoming to new blood, c) an effort needs to be made to drive our regular visitors to the forums, and d) there's only so much that can be done given the direction the web is taking. I'll take these one at a time:

A. I'm certainly not opposed to making tweaks to the layout if it's going to make our forums more intuitive for everyone. However, keep in mind that we use vBulletin - the most popular forum software on the Internet - and there are only so many things that can be changed. Siberys mentioned that there are too many ways to communicate, but the only addon that I've installed (beyond vanilla vBulletin) is the blog system. Should this be removed? Is it confusing to newcomers, simply because it's available?

How about the default forum listing itself? Should the forums be listed in one long list again, rather than nesting them in four categories? Should more forums be consolidated? If you look at an insanely popular vBulletin forum like IGN's forum at TeamXbox, you'll see that they have eleven categories to click. I think that's reasonable, but we have 70+ forums at the moment that need to be listed. Should I start consolidating all of our game forums into "series" forums or something to get the number down? In terms of layout design, what is TeamXbox doing right that we're doing wrong?

Please feel free to give me some suggestions on how you'd like the layout to be modified.

B. This one is a toughie. Unless someone is being blatantly insulting, I honestly have no idea how you "crack down" on this sort of thing. Forums are designed to let people express their opinions, and that includes those people who may not care for the direction modern RPGs have been taking. If we attempt to address this, I think we run the risk of doing more ill than good. Any suggestions on how to curb this sort of thing without alienating people?

C. I have a few ideas on this, and I'll be looking at what more can be done in the coming days/weeks. I could probably add a forum advertisement to the small GOG/Amazon ad rotator and possibly even add a link to the forums below each news item (something like "Please register or log in to comment. You may also want to join the discussion on the GameBanshee Forums!"). Again, I'll point out TeamXbox. They have a small text link to the forums at the top of their page, and then a list of hot forum topics. That's very similar to what we have here, so I don't think that I've necessarily neglected promoting our forum.

D. Without question, this is the #1 reason why the forums have dried up over the years. We're already a niche site, so it hurts our forum traffic considerably when the games we cover have "official" forums. On top of that, there are 100x more gaming communities now than there were back in 2000 when I launched the site. It may be that we need to change the focus of our forums to more of a general RPG site and consolidate/move many of our game-specific sites to tidy things up, which sort of jives with the layout issue above. However, I'm nervous about making sweeping changes (like consolidating several dozen forums down to 10 or less) because many such changes can't be reversed if they drive more people away. Thoughts?

Ultimately, GameBanshee is a news/article/walkthrough site, and that's where my primary focus has been over most of the site's history. Unfortunately, that leaves me with little time for anything else - including actively participating in forum discussions (which I used to have time for in the site's early days). There's still a considerable value to having forums, though, especially given the million+ posts of information that we have sitting in our coffers. I think it's important that we do everything we can to keep them fine tuned and promoted, while also understanding that they're probably never going to thrive like they did years ago.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm

A)
My main problem have always been too many forums and too many categories. I know there's a lot of games featured and a lot of forums needed. But the double listing right now seems rather user-unfriendly.
I don't have an answer - but have often expressed my favour of consolidating forums.
Perhaps if it is possible, have some under a sub-group (some of the less used) and others on the first page/level - I don't know if the software can, but I see other forums use this - normally some with many sub-forums (and little usage).

B)
I don't think there's much which can be done.

I think if GB's primary usage is the news and the walkthrough/features - it will be better to focus on that and worry less about the forums.
Some of the features I'd like to see on the featured games sites are more statistics of abilities and similar. Perhaps I can find some time to help supply some of if needed.
However, I simply think times are moving away from forums like this due to all the official sites own forums and social sites et al, and perhaps then the focus simply should be on the other content on the site.
Insert signature here.

Dottie

Postby Dottie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Buck, is it possible to give us some statistics on how forum usage now compares to previously? More specifically, can you for example see how many different posters that contributes / contributed a certain amount of posts per time unit? And for each specific forum how many members posted their first post in that forum?

The reason I ask is that my recollection (which might very well be faulty) is that even back then it was quite few individuals that made up a large amount of the forum contents. In the specific game threads my impression was that there where a small number of very helpful and very knowledgeable posters who took the time to respond to problems of a lot of different people who posted just a few times to get help with specific problems. In the case of SYM, or SYM-like content, it was also a reasonably small number of posters who interacted very much with each other.

Regarding game-specific help I believe those rare helpful individuals that are necessary to keep such fora going are today to a large extent working on wikis instead. Without them the interaction on those fora are mostly reduced to being either posting links to information that is already present in walkthroughs or discussions on the form "What is your favourite X in Y". To me it seems those two things are not enough to keep a forum alive.

When it comes to SYM or other discussions that doesn't concern a specific game I believe it is still possible for a forum to fill a role there despite facebook and other media. At least that is something I could appreciate personally. The caveat to this is that the appreciation of such a forum is entirely dependent on finding people there that are appealing in some way. That might be easy enough if the forum already have a large membership and a steady influx of new blood from another source, but it might be difficult for such a place to sustain itself for a long period of time.

The above is all speculation, but it does mirror my reason for coming and staying at GB, and if it turns out that it is an experience shared by many then my guess is that to resurrect the forum it is necessary to find a new use for it that can take the place of game-specific help in providing a user base for interaction on other topics.

---

A few comments on some issues raised previously in this thread:

To merge forums might, as far as I can see, facilitate SYM-like interaction, but hinder game specific help and discussion. I would not merge unless committed to give up on the game specific help function.

Concerning the opinion that some posters might be be treated poorly when displaying poor English skills I must admit I perceive the issue differently. There are two different groups here, one who feels that it is impolite to complain about the quality of writing of posts, and another group that feels that it is impolite to expect others to spend more energy trying to decipher a post than the poster spent writing it. I can't see that it is possible to cater to both these groups at the same time. Obviously the choice here is entirely Yours to make, but I must confess I belong squarely in the latter category. I would also like to add that I've rarely seen a post criticized when it's poor quality is caused by the poster being a non native speaker, but frequently when the poor quality is caused by completely omitting punctuation and paragraphing.

-Edit-

It might also be helpful if you told us what you consider and active and healthy forum. Is it the number of posts, the number of posters or something related to the content of the posts that determine whether you would be happy with it? Different goals might call for different approaches.
[SIZE="1"]While others climb the mountains High, beneath the tree I love to lie
And watch the snails go whizzing by, It's foolish but it's fun[/size]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Xandax wrote:My main problem have always been too many forums and too many categories. I know there's a lot of games featured and a lot of forums needed. But the double listing right now seems rather user-unfriendly.

I think if GB's primary usage is the news and the walkthrough/features - it will be better to focus on that and worry less about the forums.
Some of the features I'd like to see on the featured games sites are more statistics of abilities and similar. Perhaps I can find some time to help supply some of if needed.

There is more consolidating that could be done, and then we could look into getting rid of the subcategories and instead listing the subforums as small text links (like TeamXbox does).

How does something like this sound?

D&D Campaign Settings -> Dungeons & Dragons
GameBanshee Announcements -> GameBanshee Discussion (renamed to GameBanshee Discussion & Feedback)
Non-RPG Discussion -> Speak Your Mind
Diablo III -> Diablo I & II (renamed to Diablo Series)
Dungeon Siege -> Dungeon Siege II (renamed to Dungeon Siege Series)
Fable II and Fable III -> Fable & Fable: TLC (renamed to Fable Series)
Fallout 3 & New Vegas -> Fallout 1, 2, & Tactics (renamed to Fallout Series)
Lionheart -> RPG Discussion
The Witcher & The Witcher 2 -> The Witcher Series
Titan Quest -> RPG Discussion
Vampire: Redemption -> RPG Discussion (or combine Redemption and Bloodlines into a V:TM Series?)

Dottie wrote:Buck, is it possible to give us some statistics on how forum usage now compares to previously? More specifically, can you for example see how many different posters that contributes / contributed a certain amount of posts per time unit? And for each specific forum how many members posted their first post in that forum?

The statistics I reference encompass the entire site, so it's impossible for me to break down exact forum usage without installing some sort of third-party addon.

Wikis are definitely eating into our traffic, too. I think our Dragon Age: Origins coverage is second to none, yet the Dragon Age wiki gets a lot of traffic. It's just become second nature for people to seek out a wiki since there's usually one for every game.

Dottie wrote:I would also like to add that I've rarely seen a post criticized when it's poor quality is caused by the poster being a non native speaker, but frequently when the poor quality is caused by completely omitting punctuation and paragraphing.

This sort of thing is tough to patrol, too. I can't fault people for not being too fond of nearly illegible posts, especially if they're not directly insulting to the person posting it. This sort of thing happens on every Internet forum, so it's really just something we have to put up with.

Dottie wrote:It might also be helpful if you told us what you consider and active and healthy forum. Is it the number of posts, the number of posters or something related to the content of the posts that determine whether you would be happy with it? Different goals might call for different approaches.

Well, it would certainly be nice to see more traffic, especially to the forums dedicated to newer games (there isn't a single post in the Fallout: New Vegas forum, for example). I just don't think that's going to happen, though, even though we've been kicking out some impressive content-heavy subsites (and intend to do the same with FNV).

Ultimately, if our forums continue to see some traffic and provide value to a dedicated group of people, then I think they're still a healthy addition to the site. Even with all of the competition out there, I think some people may actually prefer to visit a forum that's populated by a small group of respectful, dedicated RPG fans. Hopefully we'll continue to fit that definition into the future.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm

The IWD forums could probably be consolidated into one as well...
Neither sees a huge amount of traffic and given that IWD 2 isn't a direct sequel, I don't think it would really lead to spoilers.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]