Proposed New System

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
BuckGB
Proposed New System

Postby BuckGB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 pm

I've been keeping an eye on this modification for awhile, and people seem to be really happy with it. Basically, it adds support for achievements and rewards, so that users who frequently post, add blog entries, etc. can earn identifiable icons (think Xbox Live achievements) and points that can then be spent in a virtual item store. You can also "award" negative points for necro posting, infractions, etc.

It seems like it could be a good fit on GameBanshee since I have access to a billion little icons from our equipment databases that could be used for some of the virtual items and awards. The biggest drawbacks I foresee are that it would require a significant time investment to set up and it might encourage pointless posts from users trying to score achievements.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up now is because I'm going to be rolling out a completely new forum design in the next few weeks and it seems like a perfect opportunity to include something like this. If we end up rolling something like this out, I also think we should expand the amount of user titles we have to coincide with it.

Thoughts?

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 pm

I think:

it might encourage pointless posts from users trying to score achievements.

this.

But well - one way or the other, I am pretty indifferent. I just think it'll promote pointless posts. So if you like it, I think you should try it :)
Insert signature here.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm pretty much with Xandax on this one...

Though, if people can also acquire negative points for stupidity it might help counter pointless posts, I'm not sure...

The one thing that really does concern me is that systems like this can have the potential to turn into popularity contests.. something that GB has always been blessedly free from.

I'm open-minded though, and I think if handled the right way it could be fun... and maybe add some spice/vitality.
Plus, It has the potential to become a peer review/shaming type of mechanism, and this can work quite well in some cultural situations.

Why not try it and see. Presumably it could be rollled back if there were too many problems?
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm not sure there is much difference between that system and the current display of post counts. I recall several members over the years who really seemed to want to drive their post counts up because they attached some kind of prestige to that number. I think you get that mentality regardless from some people.

I think having the penalties might be an offset to that with this system though. If people are really wrapped up in their acheivements to the point it's important to them, it's likely they'd also be worried about committing any action that damaged that achievement level as well. If the penalties were enforced consitstantly, then most likely anyone who repeatedly engages in pointless posting probably doesn't care too much about the acheivements anyway and would be causeing touble regardless.

I'm not bothered either way, but I don't think it's gonna be a real problem for the board in the long run if it is implemented.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm all for it. As for frivolous posting... The boards aren't exactly unmanageable at the moment with maybe a dozen posts a day. We can handle abusers of the feature.
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]