Really miss the news forum

This forum is for discussion between the GameBanshee moderators.
Xandax
Really miss the news forum

Postby Xandax » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am

I'm posting this in here, even though I posted something along the lines - yet less explicit - in the public forum .......

but I really miss the news forum. It was the one forum I looked at first, it is where I delivered most of my posts recently as I find I play less and less of the new RPGs etc.
I feel it is a huge mistake to remove that forum in favor of the structure it has now - and yes, I understand technical reasons et al can exists, but the forum is missing out on a lot of discussion by moving it away from the forum.

I know I have hardly even looked at it yet, and can't really get myself to reply to them anymore.

For me, the forum have lost value now, and I just have to say that I miss that forum.
Insert signature here.

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:25 am

I'm not trying to be a snot here, but I'm going to go ahead and say that I don't especially miss the News forum. Threads there received views, but very few actually were posted in - and for the most part it was the same batch of people all the time. And, as some might have seen, I grew aggravated with the amount of negativity going on in threads pertaining to new games that are in the works.

It's most definitely a pipe dream, but I had briefly harbored hopes that this might trigger more conversation in the individual game forums... It would be nice if news about a title could be discussed in the respective forum instead of just putting new information somewhere completely different and discussing it there.
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

fable

Postby fable » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 am

I don't miss the news forum at all. It was a mix of PR announcements, review summaries (which I could get at Metacritic) and quoted editorials spreading misinformation.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:35 am

fable wrote:I don't miss the news forum at all. It was a mix of PR announcements, review summaries (which I could get at Metacritic) and quoted editorials spreading misinformation.

It was thee place I got my news, reviews etc, instead of having to search multiple sites. And I could get it in the same process as having to check in on the forum.
Insert signature here.

fable

Postby fable » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 am

Xandax wrote:It was thee place I got my news, reviews etc, instead of having to search multiple sites. And I could get it in the same process as having to check in on the forum.

Understand, Xandax, I'm not suggesting that you are wrong in your views. I'm stating my own opinions, and they are 180 degrees away on this subject. :D I have no idea if the news forum attracted additional traffic to the site, but I doubt it, since most players come to discuss playing the games--though I don't doubt that news will continue to get quite a share of hits regardless of where it's located on GameBanshee.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:39 pm

I kind of miss it myself.
Sure, some of the articles posted were not always of the highest calibre, but that's hardly different to any major news source in the non-gaming world.. some articles are very good, others less so.
And yes, sometimes the comments were negative, I periodically contributed to that myself. However, even if the remarks were sometimes excessively negative, it has become difficult to feel positive about the current state of the gaming industry. While there are exceptions, games are becoming dumber and dumber... It was kind of nice to have a space to discuss that without the fanboys chest beating and throwing dung everywhere, or, on the other side of the coin, having to endure the "I'm against it just because it's popular/for it just because it's indie" mentality prevalent at certain other sites.

Also, it was practically the only forum at GB that moved rapidly; it had a sense of life and momentum... This used to be the case with almost every forum here, but those times have long since past.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:17 pm

The problem with the news forum was that it was just a duplication of the news getting posted to the homepage. I had set it up that way because I had no good way of allowing comments to be posted when using NewsPro/Coranto (our old CMS). It was essentially a temporary fix until I could find something better - it just took me years to finally come up with the time and resources to do so.

With the news getting spread across two areas (homepage and forums), we essentially had two different groups reading through it. Each area would maybe generate 100+ views for a news item over a two- or three-day period. Now that all of our news and comments are on the homepage (where they should be, in my opinion), some news items are generating as many as several hundred views in a single day.

There's also a matter of search engine optimization. Having the same news item in two static locations wasn't doing us any favors, as spiders tend to dislike that sort of thing. I also didn't like being tethered to vBulletin because the registration system was a bit cumbersome and there are no guarantees where the software would go in the future or if Coranto would suddenly stop working with it when I upgraded to the latest version.

Like I said in the GB Discussion forum, I'll look into making some sort of all-in-one news page that works in a similar manner. It's going to be awhile before I have time for much of anything, though - there are a lot of bugs to deal with and I'm expecting a review copy of Dragon Age: Origins any day now...

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:44 pm

BuckGB wrote: I'm expecting a review copy of Dragon Age: Origins any day now...

I'm really not liking you at this moment. :p
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!