New patch at odd place.

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Thomas
New patch at odd place.

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 3:27 pm

I recently discovered that freelancing programmer made his own little patch for BG2.

members.home.net/mrkevvy/

As with all files distributed by a nonofficial source I suggest caution with it's download and use. It did hold some corrections and bugfixes that I really liked though so I felt I should share the news.

Dangerman

Postby Dangerman » Tue Jan 16, 2001 3:28 pm

what does the patch do?

------------------
... and you know it's true!
... and you know it's true!

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:27 pm

Normally I would be glad to answer that but since I already posted the adress for the site that carries the patch it's more effecient to recommend that you actually go there for the information you seek.

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:18 pm

I have been playing the game I bought in the store without any patch. I am now level 18 and must be near the end. (I am in chapter 6). So far, thank God, I have had no problems at all. But I keep hearing about patches. Are they essential? Do they cause more problems than they solve?
"Not to know me argues yourselves unknown."

Doltan

Postby Doltan » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:23 pm

I played it my first time all the way through without the patch. No problems at all. If you play a monk, however, you might want the patch. There were maybe three bugs that I found, and none of them are reported to be fixed by the patch (which I now have, after a tedious modem download).
"But I also made it clear to [Vladimir Putin] that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 1, 2001

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:24 pm

No on both accounts, Grimbold. And quite fortunatly that is. A "patch" is a small program wich overrides and replaces files that did not work quite as planned in an other program. The game works quite well without patches but a lot of frustrating minor issues are fixed by downloading and installing them.