What the heck does non-detect get you????

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
UserUnfriendly
What the heck does non-detect get you????

Postby UserUnfriendly » Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:48 am

I think this question was posted before, but no one answered it. I use the cloak of non detect quite often, but what good is it? It won't prevent true sight from dispelling your invisibility, if you read the spell discription and the cloak discription it will prevent psionic and other forms of scrying from detecting you, but I also recall lich scripted true sights removing my invisibility sever times. so what, if any protection does it offer???

So if a mind flayer who has psionic ability is in the smae room, will it prevent the flayer from knowing if an enemy is there or not?

Heck the damned thing won't prevent liches from seeing your invisible form at all!!! some liches can see invisible, even though you got mislead up, spell immunity and cloak of non detect!!! the liches in the shade lord could see me as soon as I had walked into field of vision.

so what good is it? I want to know specific monster type it can protect you from.
They call me Darth...

Darth Gizka!

Muwahahahahhahahha!!!

Xyx

Postby Xyx » Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:56 am

Stuff that sees the invisible will see you whether or not you wear that cloak, I believe.

From what I understand...

If you wear the cloak, True Sight will still dispel any magical invisibility, but not the invisibility gained through Hide in Shadows.

So, the cloak is good for sneakers that go up against True Sighting enemies. Nothing else.
[url="http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm"]Baldur's Gate 2 Spells Reference[/url]: Strategy, tips, tricks, bugs, cheese and corrections to the manual.

Garcia

Postby Garcia » Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:11 am

Some mages (and other creatures) can sense your presence but not see you and will therefor cast true sight. the cloak should prevent that they cast any spells that will reveal you unless you are "sensed" in another way (like backstabbing him or nearby foes) try it out on Ribald Barterman (the guy in Adventurer's Mart) if you are invisible he will cast true sight if you wear the cloak he shouldn't.
This weeks health tips:
Don't eat sharp objects it can be the cause of 7 out of 10 bad stomages.

Xyx

Postby Xyx » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:49 am

Ah, so no Detect() script functions will work on you. Kinda makes sense for a Cloak of Non-Dectection. :D

Scripts use See() functions to pick a target, but some use Detect() to tell if there's an invisible creature sneaking around (I guess they hear or smell him, or have some sixth sense that warns them).
[url="http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm"]Baldur's Gate 2 Spells Reference[/url]: Strategy, tips, tricks, bugs, cheese and corrections to the manual.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:42 am

As I recall, dragons (and some other creatures) can smell an invisible or hidden presence, and locate the offender. Non-detect acts as a sort of magical deoderant. :D
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Zaha

Postby Zaha » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:56 am

Originally posted by Xyx:
<STRONG> (I guess they hear or smell him, or have some sixth sense that warns them).</STRONG>

As far as I know, faint vibration of air, somewhat like that around hot objects, can be seen around invisible creatures. Someone intelligent (a mage, usually) can probably detect this. Most people, seeing such shimmering, wouldn't notice anything or would just think their eyes are deceiving them. But a mage, having experience with invisibility users, would recognize that effect and use a True Sight or similar to be sure.

Ok, that's the technical explanation. The more obvious one is that Bioware is trying to prevent the party from killing the strong enemy mage before any battle is fought.

In addition to the Cloak of Non-Detection, Boots of Speed are good when using invisibility. In Planar Sphere, I killed the mage of the Halfling Warriors (I was at low level then, it was a tough fight) by casting invisibility on Anomen, who ran quickly near the mage and whacked him with Slay Living before he could do anything.

Saigo

Postby Saigo » Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:24 am

Here is an alternative explanation. When you approach, mages suddly put up all their protections, right? Check out triggers for contingency spells. "Enemy Present" might trigger the contingency, visible or not!
Saigo...
Darklight Creator
Visit the Darklight Forums

DraySkullan

Postby DraySkullan » Wed Oct 10, 2001 9:26 am

Just to clairfy something, according to AD&D rules (not sure about 3rd ed) any creature with more than 10 HD and an intelligence rating of 14 or more (or monster equivalent) can sense invisible creatures/objects. That even went for PC's. DM's throughout the ages have found ways to get around it though. Some claim it doesnt counteract smell, etc. Depends on the DM, or in this case, game designer.
"Chaos is the natural state of all things.... and it's fun, too"

Enter the Wombat's Lair!
http://eiwombat.tripod.com

DraySkullan

Postby DraySkullan » Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:41 am

"DM's throughout the ages have found ways to get around it though. Some claim it doesnt counteract smell, etc. Depends on the DM, or in this case, game designer."

oops, i just realized that didnt make sense. what i was talking about here was non-detection, not the sensing invisibility
"Chaos is the natural state of all things.... and it's fun, too"

Enter the Wombat's Lair!
http://eiwombat.tripod.com