Why the fuss about strongholds?

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Waverly
Why the fuss about strongholds?

Postby Waverly » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:37 pm

I enjoyed the quest for the Planar Sphere, but really what use is it now? The apprentices cannot create anything that I really need, and one of them has already gottem himself killed leaving a bloody smear in the laboratory. When I return, I fully expect there to be another accident report. Is there anything worth while that I am missing?
Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time

rapier

Postby rapier » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:38 pm

Yeah, Planar Sphere sucks, but my thiefguild...you can at leat store items there Image
Visit
[url="http://www.fanfiction.net"]www.fanfiction.net[/url]

Doltan

Postby Doltan » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:40 pm

You can store items anywhere. All of the guilds are pretty weak in my opinion.
"But I also made it clear to [Vladimir Putin] that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 1, 2001

rapier

Postby rapier » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:41 pm

The Thiefguild gives you a good income with minimun invests!
Visit
[url="http://www.fanfiction.net"]www.fanfiction.net[/url]

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:43 pm

look, if you keep the Mages-in-training alive you get the grauating cerenony. after some trouble one of the will come back and make Potions for Free.
well all strongholds are crap if we see things that way.Its a side quest, do it for the XP sake.
note: I realy like the wand that they make is damn good and its for free.

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Radek

Postby Radek » Tue Jan 16, 2001 9:47 am

The authors of BG2 should reconsider strongholds. Only ranger and druid get something somehow useful, the other strongholds are nothing but another side-quests - often irritating (timed returns somewhere only to do some nonsense there, the bard stronghold is perhaps top quality of this; also, annoying waiting for some events during the quests are "good").

Apex36

Postby Apex36 » Tue Jan 16, 2001 10:54 am

I prefer Strongholds I mean 1. Safehaven 2.Free items or money depends on the stronghold 3. U own it and everyone in it. And 4. For the Thief Guild there's a gaurd at the door and U get probably the most profit out of the strongholds.
It's pretty kool you get a stronghold for free men 4 free money and cash 4 free storage area's 4 free I mean what more could U want a castle!!! actually the one of the strongholds is a castle.

------------------
"intruders have entered the complex master"

"hmm they act sooner than I anticipated,no matter they will only cause a slight delay"
"intruders have entered the complex master"

"hmm they act sooner than I anticipated,no matter they will only cause a slight delay"

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:58 am

I like the fighter's keep. My only criticism is that it still looks a mess even when I am in day 95 (and I got rid of the trolls very early on). The butler keeps telling me that it is a long process etc. etc., but not one cobweb has been swept in all those days. If I could, I'd fire him. I suggest (for the expansion?) that bioware does a redecoration job on the castle after it has been saved from the trolls. There should be tapestries, music, a roast boar on the spit, jesters, entertainers, a blazing fire: all that makes the heart merry in the Merry Middle Ages. (The music in the taverns and homes is absolutely first class.)
"Not to know me argues yourselves unknown."

Taipan

Postby Taipan » Tue Jan 16, 2001 5:38 pm

I've only obtained Nalia's Keep, but am not sure it is worth it. The regular income is of little benefit as you ultimately have to fork stacks of cash to keep the people happy so as not to lose it. By the time you have done all the sub-quests relating to it (which you need to do before going to Spellhold, because time limits apply) you'll probably have plenty of cash anyway. After leaving for Spellhold the cash generated by it isn't obtainable again until Chpater 6, by which time gold is practically irrelevant anyway.

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:04 pm

Things that I dont like of the keep is that it sould be a village near the keep and the priest sould get a decente place outside the keep for the temple.

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:44 pm

I must agree that BG2 indeed has no sence of "epic" about it. Dragons are smaller and way dumber than I imagined them to be. People in the streets wander about randomly without any purpouse in life. The strongholds have none of the "my very own new home" feel that the poor protagonist must surely crave after having been booted out of Candlekeep. All in all it doesn't seem to matter what you do. You're still a nobody with "bad blood". Only in Trademeet did I feel like they actually appreciated what you did for them.

Sigh... 'Tis all to hard and so very hard indeed to recreate the dreams of glory in a mere computer game but in both Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment I felt like the adventurers actually made a change in the world. Now I've apparently saved all the elves on the continent from a withering death by saving an anonymous tree from a mad ex-elf with poor sence in fashion and NOONE COULD CARE LESS. Atleast they could have held a banquet in my honor. *Sniffle* Image

This game needs an expansion badly. Heck! I would settle for an expansion that didn't add anything new save a lot more motivation and an epic feel to the game. When I slay a dragon I want people to crowd around me and between gasps and cheers call me "the dragonslayer"! When I rule a castle with virtue and caring heart I want the people I rule to atleast include an invitation to the next harvestfest. When I wearily emerge from the underdark cowered in the blood of drow and worse I want the elves to atleast look at me with respect.

*Sigh* I just want to be a hero. Is that too much to ask for?

- End of rant -

Doltan

Postby Doltan » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:21 pm

Bravo Thomas! Well said. "Hear hear for Thomas the Dragonslayer"

One time, after my party wiped out a couple of vampires, I still got the basic "Stay away from me scum" from some on-looking pedestrians. I want both admiration and fear. It's amazing that BGI had more of this. For example, in the Taverns of BGI, all of the pedestrians would be talking about some "unknown" hero.
"But I also made it clear to [Vladimir Putin] that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 1, 2001

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:22 pm

I'm puzzled by some of the comments I have heard about Nalia's keep. I won it early in the game, I am now in chapter 6, and I have had no complicated side quests at all. No invasion. No rebellion. No requests for my attention. I just get 500gp every week. Is something wrong? I did Spellhold a long time ago and have returned from the underdark, completed just about all of the Athkatla quests, and am about to go and confront Bodhi. I am about 98 days into the game.
"Not to know me argues yourselves unknown."

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:29 pm

Errrh... That is wierd, Grimbold. Have you actually returned to the keep and talked to the nobleman that is in charge of the place? The one that you and Nalia spoke to when you got ownership of the place? He is the one that gives you these quests and if you do not start the first one then the second one won't start and then the third one won't start and so forth.

Not that you are missing out on anyting important but it sounds like you have not had any joy of owning a keep at all. Image