Magic is so cheezy....

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Lykwid
Magic is so cheezy....

Postby Lykwid » Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:38 pm

Haveing played through the game numerous times but never really utilizeing the magic spells beyond breach and haste, i decided to try a fighter/mage solo. It did take long to realize how easy it is to take advantage of the game mechanics. As an example , if you cast mislead before you enter a battle and leave the simulated version of yourself in another room , the monsters in the battle will pay no attention to you what so ever, even if you attack them and cast spells. This might be well known , but its just so cheezy i cant even play the mage without imposeing restrictions on how i cast, which i dont find fun at all.

Just my little rant.

-Lykwid

Arch_Angel

Postby Arch_Angel » Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:44 pm

Magic isn't "cheezy", just depends on the person using it ;)
I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced now!

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:46 pm

Magic is certainly no worse than loading up a fighter with as much equipment he can carry, dropping his armour class down to -9 and hacking away at the bad guys with the Silver Sword or some other such weapon.
Jesus saves! And takes half damage!

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.

The fallen one

Postby The fallen one » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:16 pm

If you find it to cheesy then you could always go through the game not using magic. I bet it would be a little more difficult. Maybe even hard. But then highlord has a very good point the game is stacked with alot of killer equipment and spells. Maybe your not happy with the balance of the game? :)

samcu

Postby samcu » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:20 pm

I think spells are way too cheesey compared to weapons save the holy avenger, celestial fury and staff of magi. But nothing compares to the power of mighty cheesey project image! :D
Sorcery and Shadow together as one, the arcane and the dark united. Through our knowledge and skill none can stand against us. We are as one, infallible and invincible. The Shadow Mages.

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:53 am

This "imbalance" partly reflects the old AD&D system that is the foundation for the BG series.

Mages in the AD&D environment were meant to be very, very powerful, but not until late in the game. Fighters and their ilk were also very powerful, but their "power curve" was very sharp at the lower levels, then flattened out. A magic-user's "power curve" is very flat until the middle levels then jumps dramatically at the higher levels.

The idea behind this is that few mages survive the adventure process because of their low HP, high AC and narrow weapon selection, but those that do attain the pinacle of power available to mortals.
Jesus saves! And takes half damage!

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.