Exp cap reached in chapter 2.....

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
leeman_s
Exp cap reached in chapter 2.....

Postby leeman_s » Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:59 pm

I reached the experience capacity in chapter 2. Should I remove the cap so I can get more experience and be high level when I start ToB? Or should I keep it at 2,950,000 so when I start ToB it's not too easy due to really high level? I'm thinking I'll keep it where it is.

Also, are monks any good in ToB? Because I'm soloing a monk (probably why I reached the exp cap).

Phantom Lord

Postby Phantom Lord » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:17 pm

The XP cap actually doesn't stop you from gaining XP as far as I know. It rather avoids that you can make use of your XP. Eg your char has 5,000,000 XP but SoA displays and uses only 2,900,000. I'm not completely (but quite) shure that your char will level big time once you reach ToB. At least this is the way it worked with ToSC in part 1.

Btw, SK shows your "real" XP account.

Lykwid

Postby Lykwid » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:20 pm

Reached the cap in chapter 2 ? , is that even possible?

-Lykwid

Casius

Postby Casius » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:46 pm

You can actually get pretty near with a big party if you do like every single quest. It helps if you are soloing though.

fable

Postby fable » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Lykwid
Reached the cap in chapter 2 ? , is that even possible?

-Lykwid

Maybe he did the later chapters and then went back to the chapter 2 quests.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

leeman_s

Postby leeman_s » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:35 pm

yes

I'm soloing with a monk. That's why. And yes, I'm doing like every quest.

leeman_s

Postby leeman_s » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:59 pm

what to do

but should i remove the exp cap or no. will i keep all the exp for ToB or will i be set back to 2950000? what do to.?

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:42 pm

Whatever xp you gain beyond the cap will show up when you start ToB, like Phantom said, the cap doen't stop you from gaining xp, just from leveling up. Once I started ToB. I got a couple free level ups due to the xp I had from SoA that the cap wouldn't let me see.

So if I were worried about the game being too easy, I would leave the cap. You should get all the levels once you start ToB anyway, so you won't really lose anything. :cool:
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Silvanerian

Postby Silvanerian » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:43 am

You actually would lose something. If you don't remove the XP-cap I'd say that you'll gain at least 10 levels when you reach ToB.
Now, you can't select a high level ability more than once each time you hit the "level up" button. That way, even if you gain 10 levels all at once, you can't get a high level ability more than once.
So, if you were planning on lots of Hardiness and GWW, you have three options: Either keep the XP-cap in SoA and thereby not disturbing the balance of the game, reset your XP amount to 2.950.000 just before you enter ToB, using SK or CLUA, and that way gain your higher levels "regularly" or reset your XP before entering ToB and then level up your character to what XP he "really" has (use SK to check) manually using CLUA, so you only gain one level at the time, and therefore be able to get the highlevel abilities you want.

-Syl.
Qualis Artefix Pereo

Bloodstalker

Postby Bloodstalker » Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:24 am

I am not sure I understand, I gained three levels when I started ToB, but I had to level up three times immediatly, so as far as I could see, there was no difference.

I leveled up, chose my ability, then once I closed the screen, I leveled up again. I had to actually hit the level up button three times. Unless I am remembering wrong, but I don't believe that I am.
Lord of Lurkers

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

ltldrgn1

Postby ltldrgn1 » Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:33 am

I think that what Syl is talking about (correct me if I am mistaken), if for example, you level up 3 times and you want to select 1 WW attack and 2 GWW attacks, you can't. I tried this and it didn't work. you could choose 1 WW, 1GWW, and 1 hardiness however.
"God does not play dice."

-Albert Einstein.

Silvanerian

Postby Silvanerian » Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:02 pm

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Ltldrgn1.

-Syl.
Qualis Artefix Pereo

leeman_s

Postby leeman_s » Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:08 pm

so...

i can just leave the cap on and worry about it when im nearing the end of the game?

Phantom Lord

Postby Phantom Lord » Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:46 pm

Technically: Yes. The question is if you prefer a smooth increase in level or that sudden boost if you go ToB. ToB doesn't start that much harder than SoA does end, it also depends on the question if you want to do Watcher's Keep during SoA or during ToB. WK has some very difficult encounters, much harder than anything in SoA IMHO.

John Ivan Juan

Postby John Ivan Juan » Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:13 am

tell me then what to do

i reached the xp cap with my elf f/m/t character and i'm still in under dark doing the ust natha quest. the other members of my party have likewise reached their max lvl, korgan lvl 19, keldorn lvl 17, except aerie lvl 4 cleric and lvl 13 mage.

should i continue on playing?

i already have finished the soa using a 6 man party and my character a kensai.

i have tob but haven't installed it yet cuz its way too unstable for my system. however, say i installed tob, how will that affect the game? does installing tob remove the xp cap for soa?

and this just hit me, does f/m/t gain any special abilities?

thanks in advance.

kopywrite

Postby kopywrite » Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:03 am

ToB does remove the xp cap for SoA and yes once your characters reach the 3 million level they start to gain special abilities. This is 3 million total so your F/M/T would gain them too- infact he/she would be able to pick from 3 pools of abilities.

IMHO, some of the special abilities might make the regular SoA encounters easier, maybe too easy... but you can also go to Watcher's Keep during SoA if you fancy a challenge.

©

jaxaxe

Postby jaxaxe » Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:46 pm

Originally posted by leeman_s

Also, are monks any good in ToB? Because I'm soloing a monk (probably why I reached the exp cap). [/b]

yep. amazing!
beware! your knees are mine!- jan jansen

go for the eyes boo, go for the eyes!!- minsc

EVIL- MEET MY TRUSTY SWORD- SWORD MEET EVIL!!-minsc

samcu

Postby samcu » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:32 am

I don't know if it is just me, but my f/m/t only get skills from thief and fighter pool, maybe it is because I haven't have any slot in level 8 or 9 spells...

Also with TOB installed, you exp cap is now 8 million and you have watcher's keep on your world map.

One thing odd is that I dualled my kensai to a mage after getting greater whirlwind. Yet, I still have GWW when my mage lvl is low. I think there is a bug in this.

Also while I am at this topic, can a kensai-thief with UAI use armour? Cause I don't want to try it unless I know you can?

I apologize for asking non SOA questions, but in my defence I am still in chapter 5 and I guess I am at the halfway mark of SOA afterall... :rolleyes:
Sorcery and Shadow together as one, the arcane and the dark united. Through our knowledge and skill none can stand against us. We are as one, infallible and invincible. The Shadow Mages.