Playing Favorites: Bethesda's Todd Howard

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
Playing Favorites: Bethesda's Todd Howard

Postby GameBanshee News » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:53 pm

IndustryGamers has <a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/playing-favorites-bethesdas-todd-howard/">another "playing favorites" feature</a> on offer, this time profiling Todd Howard's ten favorite video games of all time. The only RPG listed is Ultima VII - go figure:<br><blockquote>Depending on the year, I flip this choice around between 3 games: Ultima 4, Ultima 6, or Ultima 7. No other gaming series has, over such a long period of time, given me such joy. I get lost in the world of an Ultima; it’s a real place to me. The people were real, their problems real, and travelling a new world, ripe with its own history, all real to me. Nothing else has inspired what I do as much as Richard Garriott’s creation. If gaming is the ultimate escape, then Ultima is its best game.</blockquote>

Realag

Postby Realag » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 pm

his statement about cod4 being a good rpg causes physical pain

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Realag wrote:his statement about cod4 being a good rpg causes physical pain

In other words, he overrates the game. The perks in multiplayer is influenced by RPGs, but they definitely do not make it an RPG.

I actually liked CoD 4 a lot, but definitely not in that manner. :p
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:37 am

DesR85 wrote:In other words, he overrates the game. The perks in multiplayer is influenced by RPGs, but they definitely do not make it an RPG.

The customization of weapons is merely a small part of the RPG genre. Most importantly, the game doesn't even let you role play as any character for a decent amount of time.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

galraen

Postby galraen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 am

Loki[D.d.G] wrote:The customization of weapons is merely a small part of the RPG genre. Most importantly, the game doesn't even let you role play as any character for a decent amount of time.

That sounds a bit like Oblivion and Morrowind strangely enough.

I like playing the modded versions of those games, but IMHO they definitely are not RPGs, no real choices are allowed in the entire game(s). I guess we now know who to blame for that.
[QUOTE=Darth Gavinius;1096098]Distrbution of games, is becoming a little like Democracy (all about money and control) - in the end choice is an illusion and you have to choose your lesser evil.

And everything is hidden in the fine print.[/QUOTE]