World of Warcraft Shrugs Off Competition

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
World of Warcraft Shrugs Off Competition

Postby GameBanshee News » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Despite the recent release of a few more high profile MMORPGs, Gamasutra is <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EdwardHunter/20090924/3179/World_Of_Warcraft_Audience_Grows_In_The_Face_Of_Increased_Competition.php">reporting</a> that World of Warcraft's subscription numbers have now surpassed the 13 million mark.<br><blockquote>WoW has actually increased its audience size to 13.1 million unique users as of August. It's like that Star Trek creature, the one that got bigger every time they fired a phaser at it? <br><br>I'm infrequently suprised these days, and not because I'm some Nostradamus, I just have good data backing me up and I keep the trends close at hand. But even I thought that with the increased competition and decreased discrectionary income that WoW might be tapering a bit - I mean, the next expansion is a ways off yet so shouldn't we at least be seeing some MMO hiatusing? (yes, not a word or term but it is now and its mine, deal with it. ;) ) <br><br>It begs the question; if decreased consumer confidence and spending, copious quantities of new competion (some of which is free) and aging content can't slow the Irvine based juggernaut, can anything?</blockquote>

Xandax

Postby Xandax » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:18 am

For some reason the link breaks weirdly in the post above,so this is the link:
[url="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EdwardHunter/20090924/3179/World_Of_Warcraft_Audience_Grows_In_The_Face_Of_Increased_Competition.php"]Clickity[/url]

But frankly - until Blizzard puts out the number of 13 mill, I'll take it with a grain of salt. But if true it is impressive, but I think it is much more a product of the fact that competitors can't really measure up and then people converge onto what they know is good for many.
Insert signature here.