Gimli, Gollum, and Sarah Connor to Voice Risen

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
Gimli, Gollum, and Sarah Connor to Voice Risen

Postby GameBanshee News » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Polish site Polygamia.pl has <a href="http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,94534,6911218,Gimli__Gollum_i_Pratchett_w_Risenie.html">received confirmation from Piranha Bytes</a> that the company has tapped some top talent to voice the characters in Risen, including John Rhys-Davies, Andy Serkis, and Lena Headey. For a full list of all the actors involved, check out <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475543/<br>">the game's profile page</a> on IMDB.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Meh, Linda Hamilton is the -real- Sarah Conner and always will be.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Usually big-shot voice actors are gimmicks to get people interested in the game. I'm sure they could have found relatively unknown voice actors with some real talent. Oh, well...
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Loki[D.d.G] wrote:Usually big-shot voice actors are gimmicks to get people interested in the game. I'm sure they could have found relatively unknown voice actors with some real talent. Oh, well...

Yeah, voice acting hires tend to be a bit silly at times. I dunno about Lena Headey, but I wouldn't put Rhys-Davies or Serkis in the none "real talent" category, they both have done some good voice acting work, Rhys-Davies more so than Serkis.

But a lot of it seems pretty random. No known Voice talent in there beyond Rhys-Davies and Serkis.
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

Ausir

Postby Ausir » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Deep Silver is doing a pretty bad job with the PR, by the way. If it were a Bethesda game, big names like this would have been hyped all over the gaming media, not just leaked through IMDb.

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 am

Ausir wrote:If it were a Bethesda game, big names like this would have been hyped all over the gaming media, not just leaked through IMDb.

Heh, one of the first news pieces I recall reading about Fallout 3 was that Liam Neeson had been hired to voice the part of Dad. Truth be told, he actually did quite a good job of it too.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:19 am

Siberys wrote:Meh, Linda Hamilton is the -real- Sarah Conner and always will be.

Yeah, but "Gimli, Gollum, and The Sarah Connor That Isn't Linda Hamilton" didn't fit into my subject box :) .

Ausir wrote:Deep Silver is doing a pretty bad job with the PR, by the way. If it were a Bethesda game, big names like this would have been hyped all over the gaming media, not just leaked through IMDb.

Agreed. It's possible they're still finalizing some details before issuing a press release, though.

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 am

If the above is true, I am quite surprised that a small company like PB is able to secure the services of well-known actors/actresses. Most of the time, they're always featured in AAA titles like the later GTA series to name a few.

Regarding big-name actors/actresses, I have no beef with them starring in any videogame, as long as they suit the role they are given (The Chronicles of Riddick and the later GTA series comes to mind), but I do agree with Loki that most of the time, their presence is a gimmick or used to get more publicity.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

Ausir

Postby Ausir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 am

If the above is true, I am quite surprised that a small company like PB is able to secure the services of well-known actors/actresses.

It's not PB, it's the publisher, Deep Silver.