DoubleBear RPG Forum Activity

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
DoubleBear RPG Forum Activity

Postby GameBanshee News » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Brian Mitsoda has posted some more details of his upcoming untitled indie RPG project. In <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=970.msg29765#msg29765">this post</a> he reveals a few things about what the cooperation with AoD entails and some gameplay details.<blockquote>Right now, we're the only two official employees of DoubleBear, but the Iron Tower guys are going to be working on the title as well. Oscar has already completed some fantastic stuff for our project. And as mentioned, we/Iron Tower are adapting AoD code for our game.<br>(...)<br>No magic whatsoever, as it wouldn't fit the setting. Though being a game, you can expect that there will be something that totally flies in the face of reality but makes sense in game logic.<br>(...)<br>Third [person perspective - ed]. As we are using the AoD tech, it is going to utilize the same perspective as that game, although we've made some changes to the interface to fit our game's setting and the system changes.</blockquote>In <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=974.0">this thread</a>, he reveals their title will be set in a zombie apocalypse, the first RPG of its kind.<blockquote>Was hoping to save this for a rainy day, but it is cloudy here in Seattle today, so here we go. As the speculators have correctly guessed, yes, DoubleBear’s first game is indeed a Zombie RPG, which we have fondly referred to as a ZRPG internally. Before people start running in all kinds of directions with that, here’s what I will confirm:<br><br>-Set during the breakdown of society as emergence of zombies causes widespread panic and disorder.<br><br>-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.<br><br>-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.<br><br> -Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game. More on this later.<br><br>-Game is open-ended. There are characters and events that could happen, but the story depends on where you go, what you do, and who you meet. Of course, there’s a lot more to this and we'll go into more details as time goes on.</blockquote>

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Sounds mysteriously similar to Fallout. So, how on earth does something with a zombie apocalypse like we've seen in countless other games gets touted as "the first of its kind"?

-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.

That would be interesting actually. And more unique than any other ideas they put forth so far. Why on earth don't game devs like players to role play as a zombie? C'mon, it's sure to be fun if they give it a roll.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Loki[D.d.G] wrote:Sounds mysteriously similar to Fallout. So, how on earth does something with a zombie apocalypse like we've seen in countless other games gets touted as "the first of its kind"?

The first RPG of its kind. Nobody's claimed it is the first time a zombie apocalypse scenario has been using in games, but I'm pretty sure the cRPG genre has been free of it

Though no doubt fable will pop in with some obscure zombie apocalypse RPG title from 1986 or summat.
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Larva Mortus is an action RPG based around a demon/undead apocalypse, I believe. Though I really wouldn't consider it much of an RPG, as it does lean much more toward the former of its two genres.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 pm

yup
Right Speech has four aspects: 1. Not lying, but speaking the truth, 2. Avoiding rude and coarse words, but using gentle speech beneficial to the listener, 3. Not slandering, but promoting friendliness and unity, 4. Avoiding frivolous speech, but saying only what is appropriate and beneficial.

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 am

Claudius wrote:Makes me think of Steven King, the Stand.

I'm pretty darn sure you mean Stephen King here, don't you?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 am

I've heard him pronounce his own name as Steven. The jury is still out though, Google favours Stephen King over Steven King by sixteen million hits.

The Lost directors are going to work on a Dark Tower television series soon. There will be games, of course. Didn't Wasteland draw inspiration from The Stand, the Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, etc? I never played Wasteland, but the worlds kinda match.

(Coming Soon: The first News thread to be moved to SYM!)
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]