Oblivion, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
Oblivion, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

Postby GameBanshee News » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:08 pm

After taking The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for a spin post-Fallout 3, PC World's Matt Peckham <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/article/169654/oblivion_why_hast_thou_forsaken_me.html">stumbled upon several of the game's flaws</a> that he apparently didn't pick up on years ago.<br><blockquote>To be fair, I had a blast my second go at it--three years along and still compelling. That's something. Early going I wasn't so sure. I've played plenty of Fallout 3 (PCW Score: 90%), a game whose existence is contingent on Oblivion's, but which also addressed most of Oblivion's idiosyncrasies. Like: The random creatures that spawn into areas and match your current character level, waving away the illusion of an independent/persistent ecosystem. Or: The madly recycled voice actors and tediously similar dialogue expressions. Or: The clumsy map interface that's like peering at parchment through the visor slit in a helmet. Or: The way the whack-block-whack combat system makes fighting the finale's dazzlingly accoutered malefactors feel roughly analogous, mechanically, to chopping up the game's inaugural nests of rats.<br><br>Repetitive spelunking notwithstanding, I was tempted enough by the clever side-stories to keep at it, by the lure to cinch shut every last alien-flame-licked Oblivion gate, by the possibility of finding uncanny narratives sequestered away in backwater haunts I'd simply galloped past the first time. And if I'm being totally honest here, I was probably not a little motivated by that manic compulsion some of us have to finish certain games unconditionally, to tie things off with the same exhaustive checklist-obsessing that's only Not-Entirely-Insane when the purview of airline mechanics or astronauts.</blockquote>

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:15 pm

*sigh*

Yeah, yeah, we know the drill, and around the time TES V comes around all the game journos will spontaneously realise Fallout 3 wasn't that good.

It's getting old, guy, not sure we're going to keep on buying it.
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

fable

Postby fable » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Funny how ashamed some of the "reviewers" now feel for becoming Oblivion fanboys. Funnier still how they can write until they're blue in the face without being able to uncover a reasonable explanation for their previous worship, barring arrant stupidity.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Loki[D.d.G]

Postby Loki[D.d.G] » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Only a true blue fan would deny Oblivion is bugged. Due to the way it plays, bugs could hit you thick and fast if you are unlucky, or on rare occasions if the game Gods are smiling down on you. Still, I much preferred Oblivion over Fallout 3. Perhaps the only thing I would have liked to see in Oblivion from the Fallout universe is its radio. They could have cooked up a story of a magic broadcasting oblivion tower or something. That way, the mundane dungeon music would be nothing but a distant memory...

*Stares off into the distance*
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice ~ Eleanor Lamb, Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams