Help!!!!!

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
x_IrishSniper_x
Help!!!!!

Postby x_IrishSniper_x » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi all i was wondering can someone help me?
i got KOTOR for pc its cool but now it starts to lag a bit and the music cuts out what can i do? :confused:
[email="pimpdanny360@hotmail.com"][/email][[email="irishsniper360@hotmail.com"][/email]
[font="Impact"][SIZE="5"][color="Red"]xbox kicks ass!!!!![/color][/size][/font]:mischief: :laugh:

Obi-Wan-Evan

Postby Obi-Wan-Evan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm

Do you have the patch? If you have any other programes running whilst playing the game shut them down. If that doesnt work then delete some of the stuff you dont use off your computer :)
Add l Skinflute l (Lower case L's) if you think you can beat me 1v1 snipers in Halo 2.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:48 pm

Might also try temporarily unloading any virus checkers and ad blockers.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Hill-Shatar

Postby Hill-Shatar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:00 pm

You may want to go to image options and turn down the graphics settings a little, along with perhaps turning off shadows and/or grass settings.
[SIZE="1"] Buy a GameBanshee T-Shirt [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68975"]HERE[/url]! Sabre's [url="http://www.users.bigpond.com/qtnt/index.htm"]site[/url] for Baldur's Gate series' patches and items. This has been a Drive-by Hilling.[/size]

koz-ivan

Postby koz-ivan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 pm

[QUOTE=x_IrishSniper_x]Hi all i was wondering can someone help me?
i got KOTOR for pc its cool but now it starts to lag a bit and the music cuts out what can i do? :confused: [/QUOTE]

are you on dantooine?

i had all sorts of issues there even on bare bones settings it still ran very rough - finally i found this tidbit from the bio forums...

add the line

"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" under the header [graphics options] in the swktor.ini file.

bear in mind this seems to cause some other issues, usually after dant. i'll edit the ini file again and change the 1 to a 0. crude work around yes, but it gets the job done.
"all around you is tinder for the gods"

Hill-Shatar

Postby Hill-Shatar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:07 pm

I take it you are refering to the Kotor.ini file? That's if you select the Kotor file from your 'My Computer' screen, right?
[SIZE="1"] Buy a GameBanshee T-Shirt [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68975"]HERE[/url]! Sabre's [url="http://www.users.bigpond.com/qtnt/index.htm"]site[/url] for Baldur's Gate series' patches and items. This has been a Drive-by Hilling.[/size]

koz-ivan

Postby koz-ivan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:18 pm

on my computer it's swkotor. beyond that i think we're talking about the same thing.

it should be an aprox 3 kb text file of configuration settings, it's in the main directory of the game on my computer it's C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR which iirc is the default install directory.
"all around you is tinder for the gods"

Alcina

Postby Alcina » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 pm

As I have discovered, the minimum specifications on the box of KOTOR are wildly optimistic. And if you think you're having trouble now, wait till you try KOTOR2 on the same machine.

If you can't solve the problem with any of the above fixes, the workaround is as follows:
1) revolve on the spot (default a or d key). You will notice that the frame rate is much faster in one direction than in any other!
2) turn to face the direction of fastest frame rate
3) Now stay facing that way while you move using (default) w, s, z and c keys. Don't turn round!
4) after you've moved a certain distance, you'll notice the frame rate slow down again. This is a signal that you should stop and repeat from step 1, usually finding a better direction to face.

You will be able to complete the game, but it requires immense patience. And in KOTOR2 it's worse, but can still be completed, even if you do have to save and reload over 20 times on Malachor and Dantooine...