Party advice?

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to Troika Games' Temple of Elemental Evil.
GawainBS
Party advice?

Postby GawainBS » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 am

Hello

I'm going to replay ToEE. I'll install Co8 ofcourse. The party I envision is this one:
Human Paladin/Fighter4
Human (or Half-Elf) Druid
Elf Cleric
Dwarf Wizard
Half-Orc Rogue2/Barbarian

The Paladin and the Barbarian will be up front, the Barbarian with a polearm. The Cleric will be a Cleric/archer. I'm not so sure how feasable that is in ToEE, otherwise she will be Shield/Weapon.
The Wizard will be a caster. (Duh.)
The Druid will be a Caster/Melee. But I wanted to ask if Wildshape in ToEE is as good as it is in P&P. Will be Shapechanged Druid (With Natural Spell ofcourse) be a melee killing machine? I also wanted a Druid so I could craft Amulets of Natural Armour.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Lord Plothos

Postby Lord Plothos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 am

A cleric archer isn't easy to pull off, because you really need point blank shot and precise shot to be effective as an archer. If you're not an elf, you really need to blow a feat getting bow proficiency. As an elf, you lose the human bonus feat, so you'll basically have a hard time being effective as an archer up until 3rd level, when you can finally get precise shot. Meanwhile, you haven't picked up more standard cleric feats like combat casting and crafting feats. It's workable, but he'll be majorly handicapped until 3rd level.

I haven't messed around much with wildhsaped druids. I don't think you benefit much from any gear you have, so they wind up being rather fragile. And their animal companions are pretty useless.

If you run co8, there might be more ways to buy natural armor than in the original game, but I'm not sure about that.
[color="PaleTurquoise"]Proud user and advocate of [url="http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro"]MapTool[/url]for all my RPing-at-a-distance.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"](Use the lastest 1.3 build - it's still beta, but stable and far better than 1.2)[/color]

GawainBS

Postby GawainBS » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:02 pm

I decided against a Cleric Archer. Simply Hammer/Shield.
It's a shame that the Druid's Animal Companions aren't up to P&P level, but I think that a Wildshaped Druid with a Augment Summon can still be pretty effective.

Thanks!

dzidek1983

Postby dzidek1983 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:49 am

i haven't tested it yet bot in this version the druids have an ability to cast spells while shifted you can shift into a bird and then you should be immune to normal no projectile weapons or spells, you are flying right :)

when you are up in the air smack then with lightning or rescue with heal.. that would be great :)

GawainBS

Postby GawainBS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:39 am

You can't Shapechange into a bird, nor would that make you immune to projectiles.