Weapon choices (spoilers)
Gabriel Blake wrote:
I've just ordered "Fallout 3 GOTY" and I'm looking forward to making a RP character (not a ultimake-kill-'em-all build). I'm just wondering will the game mechanics allow me to do so.
I'd like a swift and sneaky character. When choosing weapons I'd like to stick to one of the following sets:
1. Small guns - pistols (is it possible to use dual pistols ?)
2. Knives - both throwing and close combat
3. Unarmed - pure
1. There are a lot of great small guns, mostly rifles (conventional and energy) that are fun. Most have a single "hybrid" that is a more powerful version of the standard weapon. Finding them for the first time can be a challenge though. There are a few perks that will make your small gun skills even more potent, especially in VATS.
2. Knives are a Melee skill and not to many good ones, but there are some decent swords and a flaming sword that you have to make from junk that is devastating, especially with the Pyromaniac perk. There are also power melee weapons like rippers, auto-axes (from the Pitt), sledgehammers, clubs, tire irons, etc.
3. For unarmed I think the powerfists can be a lot of fun and there are two hybrids that can be found that do enhanced damage. I've never bothered with the brass or spiked knuckles but I imagine they might be fun to try.
If you have the expansion pack that lets you get up to level 30 and choose the right perks its possible to achieve a "100" skill point level for every weapons type.
VATS is the addaptation of the "called shot" from the earlier FO games. You get to pick what area of the target's body you'd like to shoot at. A VATS shot takes up Action Points which will regenerate over time. A head shot can be made in VATS or without it and you can get a critical hit either way. Criticals can be improved with various perks, some of which are specifically designed to improve VATS shots. I prefer not to use VATS for long sniper shots as I seem to get more hits with a scope and carefully aimed head shot in regular combat mode.
For mods I like The Pitt and Broken Steel. The Pitt is fun as at the start of it all your equipment is confiscated and you begin with less than when you left Vault 101 for the first time. And you can get a couple of nice items for completing it. Broken Steel allows you to achieve level 30 instead of the standard 20 levels that come with the game and it gives you an alternate ending that is more satisfying IMO.