Thin screen monitors

If you have technical questions regarding computers, consoles, or the games we play on them, post them in here.
Lazarus
Thin screen monitors

Postby Lazarus » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:14 am

OK, I admit I have no knowledge in this area - hence this post.

I'm looking to buy a new computer within the next three to six months (I know - it's an eternity in computer time), and I would like to get one of these here new-fangled thin monitors that look so sleek and take up so little space.

I have heard, however, that these monitors don't perform like the big monster I have on my desk now - especially for games. And I like games. I don't play Doom-like stuff. More RPG and strategy games that (I think) are less video-intensive. But I do watch DVD movies on my computer. (I don't own a TV.)

Could someone give me the scoop on these things? Can they handle my usage? Anyone know of a good manufacturer? Any websites you could link to that would give some background? Are these monitors rapidly improving, so that three months will see a dramatic change in quality?

Thanks, in advance.
A is A . . . but Siouxsie defies definition.

Lazarus' fun site o' the month: Daily Ablutions.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:56 am

Originally posted by Lazarus
Are these monitors rapidly improving, so that three months will see a dramatic change in quality?

I'll answer in full later but they are certainly coming down in price rapidly.
I'd have to get drunk every night and talk about virility...And those Pink elephants I'd see.

KidD01

Postby KidD01 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:01 am

If you are refering to LCD monitors, don't waste your money on it. It's true they have less radiation than CRT monitors and have sleek thin design which makes your desk roomy. Yet with RPG gaming and intense long hours of usage the liquid inside the LCD will eventually burnt out.

Cost to repair this thing is the same as price comparison between a LCD monitor Vs CRT monitors (the repair cost will make a huge hole on your pocket) further more I believe they don't repair the LCD - they just simply replace it with new LCD.

If you plan to use the monitor for office appliance it's worth it - that is if your office have budget to buy it. But if you're planning to buy monitor for home PC, forget it. Get a CRT monitor, they are tough and cheap to repair.

And if you like you can also get that nifty big screen CRT monitor, which is still cheaper than those LCD ones.

As for the brand I recommend Viewsonic. Just my 2 cents ;)
I'm not dead yet :D :p :cool:

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:13 am

I am no computer techie ;) , but I can attest from personal experience that simply getting a flat screen (as opposed to a flat panel) monitor will make a huge difference in terms of ease on your vision, and on resolution. :)
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Phantom Lord

Postby Phantom Lord » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:05 pm

Some modern TFT (not LCD) monitors have no problem to display even action games as good as CRTs do. The speed of improvement has also slowed down IMHO since 17" TFT monitors have become a common / affordable thing and some manufacturers even have a zero defect policy today, which means that they assure that every single transistor is working properly.

I personally still prefer a good flat screen CRT over a TFT concerning brightness and sharpness, but modern TFTs certainly are good monitors.

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:22 pm

I would certainly agree with DW in that an LCD is much easier on the eye, esp over long periods of time - BG2 anyone? ;) :D

They are also a lot cheaper these days, and I would seriously consider getting one as a next monitor. As for Kid01's point, I wasn't aware of this issue, so I guess we'll have to wait for the gurus to sweep in like vultures to pick the topic clean :p

(No offence guys, I just liked the similie :rolleyes: )

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:21 am

@All: Thanks for the responses. :)

I've been doing some looking on the internet, but most of the sites I have stumbled on are trying to sell something, so they seem rather biased. Any further opinions and/or information anyone would like to contribute would be much appreciated.

At this point, I am still leaning in favor of the thin screen. It just seems so sad: it is the 21st century; we don't have flying cars; we don't have space travel; and our monitors take up like 5 cubic feet of space! It just seems wrong, somehow. :(

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:23 am

Gamespot has this article that talks about using LCD displays for gaming.

The biggest knock on LCD monitors is their cost; often you can get a 21" CRT display for the same (if not lower) cost than a 17" LCD. The advantages are that they have a smaller footprint on your desktop and weigh less.
Jesus saves! And takes half damage!

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:35 am

Great article

@HighLordDave: Ah! Perfect - just the kind of information I was looking for in that article. Thank you. :)

@Phantom Lord: what are TFT screens?

Phantom Lord

Postby Phantom Lord » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:20 am

TFT (thin film transistor) is a subspecies of LCD monitors. Not all LCD monitors are necessarily TFT monitors, altough most of them are today.

I think in the US/UK you always use the term "LCD", in Germany we're used to distinguish between passive (STN / DSTN) and active (TFT) monitors.

A TFT monitor uses one small transistor for every single pixel on the screen. The production process of TFTs is quite complicated and only a part of the manufactured monitors can be used, most manufacturers had a "good enough" policy instead of a "zero defect" policy so far. This means that if a small number of transistors are be defective, the product still counts as OK. A defective transistors usually leads to a single white pixel. Since the production process has improved a lot over the last years, the prices have dropped and some manufacturers find it possible to assure that all transistors are working corrcetly.