Shutting Down

If you have technical questions regarding computers, consoles, or the games we play on them, post them in here.
Mr Sleep
Shutting Down

Postby Mr Sleep » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:36 am

I recently installed XP and for some reason it won't auto shut down now, the message about it being safe to switch off comes up but I have to hold down the power button for 4 seconds to switch it off whereas before it automatically did, any help?
I'd have to get drunk every night and talk about virility...And those Pink elephants I'd see.

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:15 am

1. Go back to Windows 98SE.

2. Flash your BIOS.
Jesus saves! And takes half damage!

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:02 am

Originally posted by HighLordDave
1. Go back to Windows 98SE.

Heh, perhaps that is the problem ;) I am actually quite liking XP, what can I say I don't do a lot with it though.

2. Flash your BIOS.

Hadn't thought of that, not a bad idea. I will probably do that. On that subject how do the VIA 4in1 drivers react with XP?
I'd have to get drunk every night and talk about virility...And those Pink elephants I'd see.

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:17 pm

Originally posted by Mr Sleep
Hadn't thought of that, not a bad idea. I will probably do that. On that subject how do the VIA 4in1 drivers react with XP?

I couldn't tell you; I've never installed XP on any machine. VIA's driver support is pretty good, so I image that the latest 4in1 release is pretty stable.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:04 am

I'll try it and if my machine is fubar'd then you foot the bill ;)

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:46 am

I'll try it and if my machine is fubar'd then you foot the bill ;)

I'll write you a check.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:41 am

I'll write you a check.

Make it out to the normal charity (I can get VAT back then), I assume you will be using your normal off shore account?

So why haven't you used XP, it really is okay you know...

RandomThug

Postby RandomThug » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:47 pm

XP and me

XP is rad, I love my XP pro unlicensed muahah.

Anyhow.. my version at home never shuts down either, it goes through the process but reboots... I am accustomed to pulling out the plug now at just the right time...

I remember some how fixing this but it escapes me.. (Most likely the same place you could fix your prob mr sleep) I will research.
Jackie Treehorn: People forget the brain is the biggest sex organ.
The Dude: On you maybe.

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:23 pm

@Mr Sleep:
It's a two-party, out-of-state check.

I like 98SE. I will be dragged kicking and screaming away from it. I don't have great personal dislike for XP, but I think that its system overhead is rather steep and I don't need any of the security or networking capabilities of an NT-based operating system.

For what I use a computer for (personal home use, gaming), 98SE is a very stable platform with low system requirements and few (if any) compatibility issues. I think that XP looks cool, but the performance trade-off isn't worth it to me.

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:40 pm

Windows 2000 forever. Baby. Mr Sleep, why did you sell your soul to the devil and side with XP? It sucks, and you know it :p
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

Sleep is for n00bs, and people with too much blood in their caffeine.
Have YOU voted for Kayless' Dungeon Crawl Inc. yet today???

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:02 am

@Mr Sleep: It's a two-party, out-of-state check.

So your a Republican then I see? ;)

I like 98SE. I will be dragged kicking and screaming away from it. I don't have great personal dislike for XP, but I think that its system overhead is rather steep and I don't need any of the security or networking capabilities of an NT-based operating system.

That is true, it is, however the OS does handle RAM correctly and I have not had a single crash yet (apart from glitchy games) plus the NFTS file format is better and faster.

For what I use a computer for (personal home use, gaming), 98SE is a very stable platform with low system requirements and few (if any) compatibility issues. I think that XP looks cool, but the performance trade-off isn't worth it to me.

I always liked 98 and my other computer runs 98FE but the move up to XP hasn't been as bad as I imagined it would be.

Kam, let's just say that it fell into my lap and I had no alternative like 2000. As much as I like 2000.

HighLordDave

Postby HighLordDave » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:10 pm

So your a Republican then I see? ;)

That's not even funny. Be glad my wife doesn't surf GameBanshee or she'd hunt you down and strike you dead where you stand for saying something like that about me.

I have 384 MB of PC133 in one machine and 256 MB of DDR in the other and neither machine has any issues related to memory or system resources. I know people who try to run XP on machines with 128 MB or even 256 MB of RAM and their machines crawl. Personally, I wouldn't even attempt run XP on a machine with less than a 1 GHz P3 and 256+ MB of RAM. 98SE's low system requirements and low incidence of incompability make up for all of its other shortcomings.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:46 am

That's not even funny. Be glad my wife doesn't surf GameBanshee or she'd hunt you down and strike you dead where you stand for saying something like that about me.

So are you a new age hippy perhaps? Your wife sounds quite a lady :eek:

98SE's low system requirements and low incidence of incompability make up for all of its other shortcomings.

Yes it does. At least for low end PCs, anything below a gig and i think 98 is perfect. However the higher range PCs need something like XP or 2000 imo.

Anyway, I found out what the problem was, it is to do with Advanced Power management, anyone who wants the solution just holler.

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:45 am

Shoot, if you will, Mr Sleep. I have a similar problem on a Windows ME machine and perhaps this could help. Did you flash the BIOS in the end?

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:20 pm

No, in fact I just switched on Advanced Power Management. It can be found under the normal power management resources. I found out about it on http://www.annoyances.org which might be worth a check in your case.

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:35 pm

Sorry but I'm too dense to find the topic there :rolleyes: Could you throw me a link please?