How to recover a FAT32 disk on a NTFS machine

If you have technical questions regarding computers, consoles, or the games we play on them, post them in here.
Kameleon
How to recover a FAT32 disk on a NTFS machine

Postby Kameleon » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:34 am

A little while ago I was running Windows ME on my computer, when the hard drive began to behave very strangely - basically, there were a lot of bad sectors on it and the corruption was somehow spreading. Eventually Windows refused to boot. So I got a spare hard drive off a friend, onto which I put Windows 2000 (yay! :) ). Only problem was that I chose to format it with NTFS rather than FAT32. Now I need to know: can I put the old HDD into my computer and take files off it? I want to see if any of the files on it can be recovered, but I don't want to have it in my computer any longer than absolutely necessary, since I don't know exactly what was wrong in the first place...so can I do it? And if I can't, how else can I try and recover files? I really don't want to put it into anyone else's computer, as I've got enough problems as it is ;)
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

Sleep is for n00bs, and people with too much blood in their caffeine.
Have YOU voted for Kayless' Dungeon Crawl Inc. yet today???

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:05 pm

If you're using the NTFS formatted drive with Windows 2000 to boot the PC, then it's fine. Put the second hard disk in and it will appear as drive D:.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.
I think I think, therefore I might be.

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:55 pm

Originally posted by Mr Flibble
If you're using the NTFS formatted drive with Windows 2000 to boot the PC, then it's fine. Put the second hard disk in and it will appear as drive D:.

Wonderful! Thanks :)
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:00 am

I certainly hope that Windows 2000 can read a FAT32 drive, or I might have a rather nasty surprise when I try and boot my computer up later on :D

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:13 am

win2k pro can read fat32
Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women.

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:21 am

Originally posted by K0r/\/f1@k€$
I certainly hope that Windows 2000 can read a FAT32 drive, or I might have a rather nasty surprise when I try and boot my computer up later on :D

Don't be cheeky...a tech support guy told me that if I had my main HDD on NTFS I wouldn't be able to read FAT32 drives if i put them in as well...

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:18 pm

Originally posted by K0r/\/f1@k€$

Don't worry about it, when you take the FAT32 drive out Win2k will act like it never exiested. I do this a lot at work for data recovery.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm

With much wailing and gnashing of teeth I lament the lack of [sarcasm] tags! I have been running my win2k pro on FAT32 for months. So that I can read it in DOS if necessary when something goes wrong (believe me it will, especially if Kam gives me a hand with an upgrade ;) )

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:15 am

DOS is not going to read a FAT32 formatted drive. DOS is limited to FAT16.
Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women.

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:29 am

Originally posted by Ned Flanders

So there :P In your face, clever-boy :D

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:41 am

Depends on which version of DOS. DOS 7.0 that came with Windows 98 can read FAT32.

K0r/\/f1@k€$

Postby K0r/\/f1@k€$ » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:21 pm

Depends on which version of DOS. DOS 7.0 that came with Windows 98 can read FAT32.

Originally posted by Alan Partridge
Back of the net!

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:01 pm

but the DOS 7.0 that comes with win98 is not in itself a bootable operating system but rather limited to a small set of commands. I suppose if something went wrong with a win2k installation formatted under fat32, it would be possible to use a bootable win98 diskette (aka dos 7.0) and access a troubled win2k partition.

If that is the case though, why wouldn't one just boot win2k pro with the cd and use a repair console. That would allow one to have an NTFS win2k pro installation and have the ability to repair it.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:32 pm

Funnily enough I have been doing a similar thing just this evening. I just installed XP leaving my FAT32 formatted old drive in the machine as a slave, setting the jumpers on the hard disk and also running my new IBM 41.2 HDD-0 from BIOS and jumpers as the primary. Anyway I formatted the hard disk with 3 partitions one 20 and two tens as NTFS. Anyway I eventually get it all up and running and the old FAT32 is set as C: and the new drive is F:. All the system files are on F: but all the old data is still on C: and I am used to C: being the primary...maybe I am just missing something simple.
I'd have to get drunk every night and talk about virility...And those Pink elephants I'd see.

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:04 pm

If that is the case though, why wouldn't one just boot win2k pro with the cd and use a repair console. That would allow one to have an NTFS win2k pro installation and have the ability to repair it.

That's true, but it's enough if you want to be able to copy files from a drive before formatting it. Sometimes it's simply not worth trying to repair the OS.

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:04 pm

The repair console has a copy option though, no? However, I don't think the win2k repair console has a xcopy. Does a win98 DOS7.0 have an xcopy?

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:44 pm

The repair console has a copy option though, no? However, I don't think the win2k repair console has a xcopy. Does a win98 DOS7.0 have an xcopy?

I think both have that command, but using the 2k repair console is a pain to put it nicely.

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:52 pm

flibble,

how has the win2k repair console troubled you? I suppose it isn't as friendly as DOS command prompt but it hasn't bothered me too much.

Mr Flibble

Postby Mr Flibble » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:54 pm

flibble,

how has the win2k repair console troubled you? I suppose it isn't as friendly as DOS command prompt but it hasn't bothered me too much.

Just that. I grew up with DOS and know all the commands without having to even think about them. More than anything it's just because it's different to what I'm used to playing with.

Mr Sleep

Postby Mr Sleep » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:45 am

Just that. I grew up with DOS and know all the commands without having to even think about them. More than anything it's just because it's different to what I'm used to playing with.

We don't like change round 'ere ;)

Re earlier Xp related stuff, seems everything installs the F: and it is running fine...still don't know exactly what is going on.
I'd have to get drunk every night and talk about virility...And those Pink elephants I'd see.