Program to help DM from a laptop

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to any edition of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game.
zabom
Program to help DM from a laptop

Postby zabom » Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 pm

I have been a D&D enthusiast since the late 70s. I taught my daughters to play and they are now teaching their husbands and husband’s families. In all that time there is one aspect of the game that I have always thought needed improvement. That aspect is how notes and maps are organized. From the earliest days you could buy adventure modules, yet even as well documented as they were, a DM often finds himself flipping through pages marked with paperclips or bookmarks to find the right description to read or the right encounter to start. In an effort to speed up game play, and avoid those boring note searching times, I turned to my lap top computer. While putting the notes on the computer made the work area less cluttered, it did little to alleviate the wasted time. It was in the mid 90s that I first got the idea of organizing an adventure into a series of linked image mapped HTML documents. I created an adventure in this format, and found it to be perfect for my needs. I could navigate through it just as the players navigated through the adventure. If players took a less then linear course through the game, the right notes and maps were still only one click away. However preparation time was very long and I soon found I just didn’t have the time to always go to the trouble. It was then that I began to dream of a computer program that would make putting my adventures into this format easy. In the process I also dreamed of an internet based community where DMs could share their creations. Since the format is so well organized and easy to use, it makes DMing any adventure very easy with very little prep time, so sharing those adventures is the next logical step. It took me over 10 years to learn enough about programming to make an application that would do what I wanted, but now It is finally complete. It is open-source freeware and can be downloaded at https://sourceforge.net/projects/ddadvcreate/ . The download includes a sample adventure and an easy to understand 10 minute tutorial to get anyone up and running. It is my gift to the D&D community, so please give it a try.

GawainBS

Postby GawainBS » Sat May 02, 2009 2:29 am

Thank you, my group will be trying this one out.

zabom

Postby zabom » Sat May 02, 2009 8:23 am

Cool, while you are trying it out, run them through the sample adventure. I created it just to show what the program can do, but it is untested for balance. I would love to get some input for adjusting difficulty. and since my daughters are grown and have moved away I have no one to test it on.