The community?

Anything goes... just keep it clean.
User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:
The community?

Postby Nyro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:05 am

How active is this community?
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
Ares2382
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby Ares2382 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:57 am

There's some dedicated people who visit here. And some that just pop in once in a while. The website is always updated with news on a daily basis, and new games are added from time to time as well.

And I've been coming here for quiet a few years now. Always nice to discuss RPGs with the people here.

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 am

Ares2382 wrote:There's some dedicated people who visit here. And some that just pop in once in a while. The website is always updated with news on a daily basis, and new games are added from time to time as well.

And I've been coming here for quiet a few years now. Always nice to discuss RPGs with the people here.


Yeah i noticed it had SO MANY of the games/series i enjoyed as part of the different forum threads which attracted me, activity looked more casual pop-ins then active though.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
sear
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:28 pm
Contact:

Postby sear » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Unfortunately, the forums aren't the most active, though there are some dedicated regulars. However, there is often a lot of discussion that takes place in the news comments, so you'll find much more activity there.

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 pm

sear wrote:Unfortunately, the forums aren't the most active, though there are some dedicated regulars. However, there is often a lot of discussion that takes place in the news comments, so you'll find much more activity there.
OK thanks for the input.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
DesR85
Posts: 5440
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 pm
Location: Urban Warfare
Contact:

Postby DesR85 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 am

Used to be one of the regulars here until the forums went through an update a month ago. After that, I've mostly just skimmed the website to look for anything interesting and just went on browsing other sites, particularly mobile phone sites and other gaming sites.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 am

DesR85 wrote:Used to be one of the regulars here until the forums went through an update a month ago. After that, I've mostly just skimmed the website to look for anything interesting and just went on browsing other sites, particularly mobile phone sites and other gaming sites.

I use 2 forum sites currently...i prefer this one but wish it was a tad more active.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
Tricky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Tricky » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm

It's a bit dramatic to say that things have been spiraling down. Admittedly, there have been lots of new changes and software updates as of late. Hard to keep track of it all. As for me personally, my interest have been veering away a bit from RPG games in general. I guess you could say I have reconnected a little with my FPS roots and as a result I've simply had less need of this site. I predict Wasteland 2 will make me want to return a bit more though.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Tricky wrote:It's a bit dramatic to say that things have been spiraling down. Admittedly, there have been lots of new changes and software updates as of late. Hard to keep track of it all. As for me personally, my interest have been veering away a bit from RPG games in general. I guess you could say I have reconnected a little with my FPS roots and as a result I've simply had less need of this site. I predict Wasteland 2 will make me want to return a bit more though.

I just personally find more replay value in RPGs then in FPS games.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
DesR85
Posts: 5440
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 pm
Location: Urban Warfare
Contact:

Postby DesR85 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 am

Tricky wrote:As for me personally, my interest have been veering away a bit from RPG games in general.


After the Witcher 2, my interest have shifted away from RPGs to other games like Alan Wake and Max Payne 3. And if I'm too tired after work, then I can't be bothered to play any game at all. Just browse the web, watch some videos and that's pretty much it.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 am

DesR85 wrote:After the Witcher 2, my interest have shifted away from RPGs to other games like Alan Wake and Max Payne 3. And if I'm too tired after work, then I can't be bothered to play any game at all. Just browse the web, watch some videos and that's pretty much it.

Yeah i have been playing single player RPGs lately been looking for a MMORPG or multi player RPG to play but have not found anything i like.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
Tricky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Tricky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:37 pm

The RPG market is dominated by Bioware/EA and Bethesda/Zenimax. Fact. The companies that are left seek to conform rather than to innovate, so even less original remains to truly enjoy. I really cannot pin my hopes on that, it's really not worth it. Relying on that. Community mods add only so much sparkle. I just can't bring it up anymore, I need other genres to make up for that loss.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Tricky wrote:The RPG market is dominated by Bioware/EA and Bethesda/Zenimax. Fact. The companies that are left seek to conform rather than to innovate, so even less original remains to truly enjoy. I really cannot pin my hopes on that, it's really not worth it. Relying on that. Community mods add only so much sparkle. I just can't bring it up anymore, I need other genres to make up for that loss.


....This is the problem i have with FPS games. I don't seem to see it near as much in RPGs but maybe i am missing something. I know MMORPGs are bad but single player seems to be semi-legit at least.
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
DesR85
Posts: 5440
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 pm
Location: Urban Warfare
Contact:

Postby DesR85 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:03 am

Nyro wrote:....This is the problem i have with FPS games. I don't seem to see it near as much in RPGs but maybe i am missing something.


Well, it is easier to pick up and play, and especially more appealing, to me, after a tiring day of work.

Nyro wrote:I know MMORPGs are bad but single player seems to be semi-legit at least.


I used to like playing the f2p MMOs, but lost interest after playing a number of them and haven't even touched a single one in a few years.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm

DesR85 wrote:Well, it is easier to pick up and play, and especially more appealing, to me, after a tiring day of work.



I used to like playing the f2p MMOs, but lost interest after playing a number of them and haven't even touched a single one in a few years.


Yeah F2P MMORPGs are all the same generic garbage it seems
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
Tricky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Tricky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Does DayZ count as an MMO? It may be more of an FPS, but there are lots of factors and statistics to keep track of. More than say in Deus Ex. Sickness, blood pressure, body temperature, hunger.. it doesn't stop there. Has lots of players, but the population varies from server to server.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

User avatar
Tamerlane
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri May 18, 2001 10:00 pm
Location: The land of Oz
Contact:

Postby Tamerlane » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 am

Tricky wrote:Does DayZ count as an MMO?


How is DayZ? I've never been much into online FPS but from what I've seen of videos on Youtube, it seems to play like an action-rpg hybrid with its micromanagement between players and potential bartering of goods.
!

User avatar
Tricky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Tricky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:14 am

Tamerlane wrote:How is DayZ? I've never been much into online FPS but from what I've seen of videos on Youtube, it seems to play like an action-rpg hybrid with its micromanagement between players and potential bartering of goods.


I was never much into online FPS games either, except for the occasional Unreal Tourney back in the day. The social aspect wasn't really what pulled me in anyhow. You see, a year or two ago I started playing Fallout 3 [url='https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/']Wanderers Edition[/url]. I never had more fun with a Bethsoft game. It made me realize how much I like survival oriented gameplay and I dreamed about the first commercial game to fully simulate that. DayZ is much more than that. The zombies are almost an afterthought.

It's a better shooter than Fallout 3 and better than Wanderers Edition as a survival game. Much more realistic. Still riddled with bugs too, but that's what you get for playing a free alpha (it varies a bit between updates, but generally the state of the game is good-to-playable. The social element is heavy, but nothing is stopping you from playing on your own. You may never be able to fully trust other people anyway.

It's going to go commercial at some point, after which it will adopt the MineCraft payment model. I'm rather looking forward to that because it means they can really work on their own game engine, rather than the one they borrowed from Bohemia Interactive. Or at the very least modify it more than they can now. Right now they're too restricted by the limitations of the Arma 2 military simulation engine.

http://dayzmod.com/

[media=youtube]0hRQ3vFkh_c[/media]
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

User avatar
Nyro
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Postby Nyro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Tricky wrote:I was never much into online FPS games either, except for the occasional Unreal Tourney back in the day. The social aspect wasn't really what pulled me in anyhow. You see, a year or two ago I started playing Fallout 3 [url='https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/']Wanderers Edition[/url]. I never had more fun with a Bethsoft game. It made me realize how much I like survival oriented gameplay and I dreamed about the first commercial game to fully simulate that. DayZ is much more than that. The zombies are almost an afterthought.

It's a better shooter than Fallout 3 and better than Wanderers Edition as a survival game. Much more realistic. Still riddled with bugs too, but that's what you get for playing a free alpha (it varies a bit between updates, but generally the state of the game is good-to-playable. The social element is heavy, but nothing is stopping you from playing on your own. You may never be able to fully trust other people anyway.

It's going to go commercial at some point, after which it will adopt the MineCraft payment model. I'm rather looking forward to that because it means they can really work on their own game engine, rather than the one they borrowed from Bohemia Interactive. Or at the very least modify it more than they can now. Right now they're too restricted by the limitations of the Arma 2 military simulation engine.

http://dayzmod.com/

[media=youtube]0hRQ3vFkh_c[/media]


Technically fallout 3 is a RPG, well not even technically...it is an RPG lol
"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok

User avatar
Tricky
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Tricky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:08 pm

RPG.. FPS.. It's not that I'm getting tired of those abbreviations, they just don't say enough. RPG's can be bad. FPS's can be slightly RPGish. Or strategy. I want to play more GTIL's, but those are just the games that I like. In the end you just have to find something that suits you. That's life though, kinda, isn't it? Except us gamers want to shorten all the phrases into three letter summaries, which makes life seem more like.. baseball? What was I talking about.

I'm sorry man, I have spend what now seems like a small eternity living out of moving boxes and this is the first semi-normal evening in weeks. Despite the outdoor traffic's best efforts, today feels like a regular old Saturday evening. Booze philosophy included.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]