Muscle spasms. [no spam]

Anything goes... just keep it clean.
Tricky

Postby Tricky » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Yarr. ;)
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

thantor3

Postby thantor3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:04 pm

There are a few things to consider about your condition. The first is that nerve damage does not always resolve quickly - in fact, in many cases it does not resolve at all. Complicating this is the fact that the central nervous system (CNS) has an internal image of all aspects of the body - an internal "map" as it were. Unfortunately, sometimes the CNS will act as if the map were the actual territory. This is the reason for "phantom limb pain" - the experience of having pain in a limb, even though it has been amputated. Like a piece of melted plastic, sometimes the CNS can become "deformed" and respond inappropriate to internal stimuli.

Another aspect to consider is that neural inputs can get caught in a loop between the end organ and the spinal cord. In this scenario, proprioceptive or other types of sensory feedback travels to the spinal cord, which creates a motor response (twitching), which creates sensory stimulus, which feeds back to the spinal cord, which creates a motor response, etc. This isn't "nerve damage" per se, but it does represent disordered functionality.

It is unlikely that anything you are eating is causing this type of focused problem. Food allergies and the like tend to have a more global response and typically show up first in the gut or the skin. However, you seem to like to drink. A lot. This is problem on many levels but, to focus on your twitching issue, there could be a connection.

Heavy consumption of alcohol has a number of negative metabolic impacts, one of which is that it depletes B vitamins. B vitamins are vital for proper function of the nervous system. Twitching could be considered a localized form of nervous system dysfunction, specifically lack on stimulus control. The CNS has neurotransmitters such as GABA to effectively dampen down neural input, but of course your body needs the raw materials to build components like this. If there are nutrient deficiencies (drinkers tend to not eat well or nutritiously), this could be contributing to your problem.

Solutions that might be indicated by the above analysis:
1. Stop drinking for a month and start eating three, healthy, nutrient-dense meals per day with adequate hydration. See if your problem improves.
2. Have your primary care doctor refer you to a neurologist for a consult.
3. Consider doing acupuncture treatments. For something like this, you will probably need a minimum of 4-6 treatments. It would be useful to seek out an acupuncturist that can also do electrotherapy/electro-acupuncture.
4. If you insist on continuing to drink, at least consider taking a high-quality multivitamin. Do not buy the garbage multivitamins that are sold in grocery stores and various chain stores. Either get a professional product or go to a reputable health food store. And no, multivitamins from dehydrated fruits and vegetables are not superior to multivitamins that are made in a quality manufacturing process.
5. Consider that if you find you are unable to stop drinking, your twitching is the least of your problems.
Those who will play with kitties must expect to be scratched.

Many are cold; few are frozen.

Absence is to love what wind is to fire... it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great.

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:21 pm

Wow, thank you. I guess I'll.. go do some of that. And then some. More.

I really can't pin it on anything in particular, which I guess is a blessing. I'll see about getting that referral though. That blow on the head is still the likeliest cause in my opinion.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

thantor3

Postby thantor3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:39 pm

My pleasure. Good luck with that. :)
Those who will play with kitties must expect to be scratched.

Many are cold; few are frozen.

Absence is to love what wind is to fire... it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great.

Galuf the Dwarf

Postby Galuf the Dwarf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:46 am

The usual spasm I get is in my leg, and the longest it's lasted for me is for about 30 minutes, though it usually lasts for about 1-5 minutes.

What makes it worse is I tend to keep my cell phone on vibrate and I tend to feel it go off before I hear it. Now imagine what it's like when you're me having a leg spasm and thinking your cell phone's going off, CONSTANTLY. :angry:
Dungeon Crawl Inc.: It's the most fun you can have without 3 midgets and a whip! Character stats made by your's truly!