Odd request

This forum is for discussion between GameBanshee's editors.
Brother None
Odd request

Postby Brother None » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Hey Jon,

This is going to sound a bit odd, but I need some advise.

I've been working for some months on a gaming project of my own (very Vault Dweller, I know). A retro-50s 2D TB isometric Sci-Fi cRPG, yet unnamed (but called Project Milestone internally). I have stacks (hundreds of pages) of design documentation and a handful of concept arts.

I was working on this with David Moffat, the Australian Game Dev guy of Omega Syndrome, on his 2D isometric engine. All was well, as he'd do all the engine stuff, as well as the 2D modelling. All perfect, but now he's had a nervous breakdown away from RPGs, and apparently doesn't want to work on it anymore (bit rude)

That leaves me up the creek without a paddle. So I'm tossing about for advice.

Ideally, I need some 2D engine and/or some people willing to work with it. Think I can go with FIFE?

I know Torque is popular, but I'm thinking gathering a group of 3D modellers is going to be expensive. Your thoughts?

Any advice/references to knowledgeable people to offer?

Cheers,
Thomas
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

BuckGB

Postby BuckGB » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:05 pm

Wow, I really don't know what to suggest. Is this something you'd eventually want to commercially release? If not, I would think you could tap into some of the talented and resourceful people working on Fallout mods and remakes or start the work using the Neverwinter Nights 2 editor or something.

If you plan on selling the game some day, then yeah, you're probably going to have to assemble a small team and spend some money. TGE is probably your best bet if you want the game to really draw attention, but then you're looking at more money for licensing. I guess it just depends on how much money you're willing to invest into the project.

Whatever you decide, you know you'll get some press coverage from GB :) .