Rookie needs help.

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Anais
Rookie needs help.

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 2:20 pm

Hey, folks. I'm new to this BB, and to computer games in general for that matter. My brother turned me on to Baldur's Gate II, and I'm having lots of fun with it. (The rules are still playing with my head, though.)

I've done pretty good so far (I think). Right now I'm a level 10 Archer with Minsc, Nalia, Yoshimo, Jaheira, and Aerie in my group. I'm in the druid grove right now and I'm having a bit of a problem trying to get into that tower in the NE corner of the map. There's a door, but I can't find the path that leads to it. Without giving anything good away, can somebody tell me how to get in there?

Also, I noticed several threads mentioning romances. What's that all about? Most of them are about Jaheira and Aerie. Anybody for us women to woo?

Also, what about my party? They seem to be working pretty good so far, but I got offers from two guys at the Copper Coronet to join after I already had six people. And the manual for the game mentions several other people and where they can be found. Should I drop anyone I have to pick up other characters? What if I don't like the ones I pick up? Can I get the old ones back? Is there any point in picking up other characters if the group I have seems to be working well?

Please don't give away too much when you answer these questions. I don't want any surprises given away.

Thanx,
A

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Fri Feb 09, 2001 2:27 pm

very well, the path to the tower is near the brige it self, a small path that is dificult to find, but its there.
The romance for female characters is there.
If you what a more correct anwer about the romance say so and I will tell you he is.

------------------
"I am not driven by hatred.
I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty or any rationale.
I can no longer feel any of those.
All that remains is retribution;
Cold and hard and final..."
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Genesis

Postby Genesis » Fri Feb 09, 2001 2:29 pm

You have a pretty good group. Only change it if you find that they are not working for you. Finding your way through the druid grove is a bit tricky because they paths are not obvious...just move east there are paths to the tower...they are just hard to spot. As for romances, the only romance for gal's is a guy named Anomen...who you don't have in your party. For guys its Jahaira or Aerie or a Gal named Viconia that you dont have in your party. Keep playing and find all the cool stuff yourself. If you get stuck somewhere we can help without giving too much away.

Anais

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 2:35 pm

Oops. I think I met Anomen and told him I didn't need him to join me. Can he still join? Is he the only male I can sack? I like Yoshimo...especially his unenthusiastic samurai bit. ("Very well...haiiiiya.") Image

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Feb 09, 2001 2:36 pm

NO Spoilers people!! and yes he is the only one.

------------------
Weasel the Destroyer of Spam

[This message has been edited by Weasel (edited 02-09-2001).]
"Vile and evil, yes. But, That's Weasel" From BS's book, MD 20/20: Fine Wines of Rocky Flop.

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:28 pm

Amomen still join but if you dont take him in when he ask, the romance dont even start, to have the romance you must take him when he ask to join and say that you fight for Good.
He is the only romance.

------------------
"I am not driven by hatred.
I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty or any rationale.
I can no longer feel any of those.
All that remains is retribution;
Cold and hard and final..."
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Anais

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:34 pm

Well, that pretty much sucks. What kind of sexist morons thought that up? Any way for me to get kinky with one of the other girls?

Karembeu

Postby Karembeu » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:28 pm

Originally posted by Anais:
Well, that pretty much sucks. What kind of sexist morons thought that up? Any way for me to get kinky with one of the other girls?

Why??? What's so wrong with the noble Anomen??? Image
“Child abuse doesn’t have to mean broken bones and black marks. Young growing tissues are far more vulnerable to carcinogens than those of adults.
Knowingly subjecting children to it is child abuse.”

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:37 pm

Well Anais, it is unfortunate, but as Black Isle said (or was it Bioware?) it takes a LONG time to make a Romance fit together (and one of the female NPC romances still doesn't work very well), and as male gamers vastly out number female gamers, you actually got a quarter of the romances, but only make up about 10% of the gamers.

The fact the romance can only start if you let him join first time does suck though.

------------------
Quitch
"Well since you asked, I would like to register a complaint. I want to kill a dragon. Right now. No, don't look. Go kill one now. Go find one and kill it. Right now. That would be SO cool" - Lilarcor
Past: Ascension
Present: The Broken Hourglass
Future: Return to Windspear, Imoen Relationship
"Perfection has no deadline"

Anais

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:38 pm

Nothin', as far as I know. But Drakron is telling me that since I didn't let him join my party the first time we met, that screwed the whole romance possibility, and since there aren't any other guys to go to the prom with (so to speak) Image I am SOL regarding any romance in my game.

Seems like a minor point (it's not a romance game, after all), but why put something fun in the game and then make is so easy to @#%$ up?

Anais

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:41 pm

And as for what Quitch said, don't any of you guys ever play female characters? I think if I play this a second time I'll play a male character so I can play this part of the game.

Karembeu

Postby Karembeu » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:46 pm

Sure I have played as a female character......although knight-wannabe Anomen may be an arrogant b*stard it is still worth the time doing the romance.....otherwise you miss out on some of the great touches to this game......
“Child abuse doesn’t have to mean broken bones and black marks. Young growing tissues are far more vulnerable to carcinogens than those of adults.
Knowingly subjecting children to it is child abuse.”

filbert

Postby filbert » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:51 pm

You could always use Shadowkeeper to change the sex of your character. You would look female, play female, but prolley have access to the female romances..

Dunno if that would work, but a potential option.

Chau!
--
filbert

Anais

Postby Anais » Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:06 pm

Well, everyone reading this already knows I'm a rookie, so I won't feel stupid asking...what the hell is Shadowkeeper?

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:13 pm

If you want to play female and get the female romances you can do this:

Use Shadowkeeper to set your gender to male.
Let the romance start.
Use Shadowkeeper to set your gender to female.
The romance should continue.

I've considered doing this with one of my characters.

Sparrowhawk

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:33 pm

Originally posted by Anais:
Well, everyone reading this already knows I'm a rookie, so I won't feel stupid asking...what the hell is Shadowkeeper?

Shadowkeeper is a saved-game and character editing utility... I don't have a link, but someone here surely does.

Also, you might be able to use the in-game cheat console to activate the Anomen romance. If you'd like that info, just ask...

mh
Sparrowhawk, and his faithful companion Otak, are proud members of the Brotherhood of the Woods

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Feb 09, 2001 7:36 pm

Here is a link.....it is your game and this will tempt you so remember...The point of the game is to have fun....IMHO
[url="http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html"]http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html[/url]

------------------
Weasel the Destroyer of Spam
"Vile and evil, yes. But, That's Weasel" From BS's book, MD 20/20: Fine Wines of Rocky Flop.

MistJaguar

Postby MistJaguar » Sat Feb 10, 2001 4:01 pm

there is a way that you can start the anomen romance still, first you'll have to get him into your group and then go into the clua console(by pressing ctrl+space and having debug=1 in your baldur.ini file?) and type

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("AnomenMatch",1)

you might have to do the same with AnomenRomanceActive inplace of anomenmatch as well

i'm not 100% sure that this'll work or that i typed the right thing for it to work but at least it's a shot

------------------
"Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
The farther you go, the less you know."
--Lao Tsu
"Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
The farther you go, the less you know."
--Lao Tsu