AmandaDover3099 wrote:I have a windows 8 laptop and I installed Temple Of Elemental Evil and yes I even used the compatibility settings but nothing works. It will just show up the Atari and Wizards logos and then it'll just go back to the desktop. Anyone know how to get this game to run on windows 8 laptop? Thanks!
maybe try the steps as followed, discovered from GoG.com.
1. reset your screen resolution to 800x600, while one display or multi-display.
2. move this folder "movies" to another space as the backups, for example,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\movies
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\TEMP\movies
ToEE program defects,
1. too many of dynamic linking warnings in the fakeroot devenv.txt, it make the ToEE run-time crash
2. the resolution crash seems like the errors in exit() or in the destructors procedure of thread, while that to reset back display of the user's original resolution. the game programmers can call dbgprint() or thru Windbg or debugView.
and the crash could be solved by coding the exception handlers in the procedure of game_exit() after ESC.
3. move "movie" folder to avoid the crash while ToEE playing the introduction movies,
the crash reason might be from the buffer size or the buffer release, because it normally crash at playing introcinematic.bik, and it's 31 MB, much than AtariLogo.bik, 410 KB.