Uninstall/Reinstall - HELP!!!

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Vehemence
Uninstall/Reinstall - HELP!!!

Postby Vehemence » Mon Feb 12, 2001 10:26 pm

After getting annoyed with general protection errors and "this program has generated errors and will be shutdown" every time I play, I decided to reinstall.

However, I removed the two bonus merchants, then decide to remove the main game. Problem though. It said it was going to install it? I'm trying to remove it, not install it! So I click cancel. I try again, it says loading, then asks me if I want to completely remove it, I click yes and then bam... nothing. I do it again, same thing.

So ok, I manually delete the damn thing from my games directory. It's gone. It still exists in the add remove programs though. I put CD 1 into the drive, and it still says play etc etc. No install. So I open the cd and click on setup and try and install it that way.

Nope, it gives me the uninstall program, but that crashes the same way when I click the ok button. Now, it gives me the same error message every time. I click ok and bam.. nothing!

HELP ME PLEASE! I want to play BG2 again, but I can't even install it!

Either post here or email me at sirblasterboy@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance! Image
Cartoon Law III
Any body passing through solid matter will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter. Also called the silhouette of passage, this phenomenon is the speciality of victims of directed-pressure explosions and of reckless cowards who are so eager to escape that they exit directly through the wall of a house, leaving a cookie-cutout-perfect hole. The threat of skunks or matrimony often catalyzes this reaction.

Curdis

Postby Curdis » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:14 am

Vehemence,

Others with more smarts may have a better way but with the Windows operating system if you have not correctly uninstalled (via the add/remove program list (yes I know it doesn't always work)) then the best way is to backup and then edit your registry so that it no longer has any entries which refer to the program.

You just have to find the correct registry keys.... This may be less than useful advice to you. - Curdis
The warlord sig of 's' - word

Making a reappearance for those who have a sig even longer :rolleyes:

[quote="Dilbert]That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard[/quote]

[quote=Waverly]You all suck donkeys[/quote]

[quote={deleted after legal threats}]I am so not a drama queen![/quote"]

:)

:mad:

:cool:

:mischief:

:angel:

:devil:

:angry:

Repent

For

Vehemence

Postby Vehemence » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:17 am

Yep, one step ahead of you there Curdis Image I went to BG2 known issues page (should have done that first - DOH!) and went through my registry and removed all traces of it.

I can thankfully say that I've got it up and running once again! Image

That was a scary couple of hours... I was getting BG2 withdrawel symptoms! Image

Thanks for the reply though Curdis. Help is always appreciated.
Cartoon Law III
Any body passing through solid matter will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter. Also called the silhouette of passage, this phenomenon is the speciality of victims of directed-pressure explosions and of reckless cowards who are so eager to escape that they exit directly through the wall of a house, leaving a cookie-cutout-perfect hole. The threat of skunks or matrimony often catalyzes this reaction.