I suck at this game, please help!

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Kiwi1771
I suck at this game, please help!

Postby Kiwi1771 » Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:38 pm

I just bought the game yesterday but I get addicted to games easily. Unfortunately this time I got addicted to one that (to put it plainly) I suck at. I kept killing off my main character and now I'm looking for some statue or figurine to open some door. It's right at the beginning of the game, I think, and I need help now before I go out of my mind searching for this invisible or unattainable statue. Like I said I'm addicted and now I'm really stuck but I have to keep playing. Please help this pathetic mind, maybe all I need is a push in the right direction.

fable

Postby fable » Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:44 pm

Try GameFAQs, at this address: [url="http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/."]http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/.[/url] Look at their walkthrough FAQs on BG2. You'll get tons of hints, there. Of course, you will here, as well, but all the answers are in one place, over there. ;)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Astafas

Postby Astafas » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:11 am

Do you understand the AD&D rules? I got a friend who doesn't (and who doesn't care much for learning them either) and she's really had a hard time during BG1, BG2 and IWD. Actually, I don't think she ever managed to finish any of them. I admire her will to go on, though. When creating your PC you need to know why a Fighter should have a high Str, Dex and Con, or why a Cleric needs high Wis and a Thief high Dex. You need to know the basics of putting together a party and how to use each NPC's abilities. This site contains loads of information and so does the manual. Read as much as possible and then come back with all your questions... I'm certain we'll be able to help you. Remember that BG2 is a very complex game if you're not familiar with Ad&D. On the other hand, when you once master BG2 you'll know how to play BG1, IWD and Planscape Torment too, as well as the upcoming NWN and Pool of Radiance (more or less since these two uses 3rd Ed rules). If you really find BG2 to be to complicated, I recommend you to start with BG1 and then go back to BG2 afterwards. But as I said, I'm sure we'll be able to help you. For a start, tell me about the PC you've created, his/hers stats and which NPCs you plan to bring along.
Proud SLURRite Vampiric Lawyer of the Rolling Thunder (TM) - Visitors WELCOME !!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub (but the coffin's mine!) - want to learn more? )[/size]

Life seems short considering how long you will be dead.

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:48 am

Also remember that you can look anywhere for anything. If you have TOB installed, you can hold down Tab to highlight things like chests, bookcases and loot that people drop. A problem that my cousin had is that he didn't want to pick up things from people's bodies - he was really into the role-playing thing and was being an LG paladin. Remember, picking up stuff from a body is NEVER considered wrong at any point in a BG game.

Oh, and my cousin also spent 3 game days at the Friendly Arm Inn in BG talking to every Commoner, though they all say the same things, and all the cows and chickens.

Very, very, very slight spoiler
The Air elemental Statue I think you want to get into the airship with the genie is in Irenicus' room, just north of the dryads.
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

Sleep is for n00bs, and people with too much blood in their caffeine.
Have YOU voted for Kayless' Dungeon Crawl Inc. yet today???

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency

Delacroix

Postby Delacroix » Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:58 am

Something that I do to don't have to talk to every people in a city, is put the mouse indicator over someone and press tab. If this person have a name then talk with him, if appears something like: Comoner, Citizen, Noble, Kid; then stay away. Of course visual info also helps (someone with plate and sword is important).
[Sorry about my English]

Ps: I'm "Ivan Cavallazzi".

Lurker(0.50). : )