Side quests - Did I screw up??? (possibly spoiler)

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
gronkus
Side quests - Did I screw up??? (possibly spoiler)

Postby gronkus » Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:27 pm

I was in Act II and off doing many of the side quests before I decided to pay the 20,000 gold and pursue Act III.

I was convinced that (ultimately) Imoen would be one of the members I would want in my party. So I thought I could rescue her and then continue on with some of these other side quests (like killing the dragon) with Imoen in my party so she wouldn't miss out on the extra XP I would be getting.

However, after getting through Act III and now half way through the Asylum dungeon, I am wondering if I will ever have the chance to go back and work on the sub quests I didn't finish in Act II. Mainly the dragon quest, the Druid quest, and trying to beat the theives in the temple district. (I am a Paladin, so REALLY want to try and get that sword).

Should I go back and finish some of these side quests before continuing on in the Asylum dungeon or will I (shortly) be given the chance to pick them up again? If not, there is a period in Act III after you finish the 3rd part of your services for the Thief whats-his-name. You are suppose to go back to him and report your success. Could I just hold off on that for many days and continue the sub quests there or will that not be allowed?

Avariel

Postby Avariel » Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:35 pm

Well, I just now finished the game for the first time, so I guess I'm not the most qualified person on the forum or anything, but I'll try to answer your question as best I can.

Once you're in the Asylum, you're pretty much stuck there for awhile. After the imprisonment, the dream, and finally the confrontation with Irenicus, you'll get a chance to leave, and you'll have two choices, go with Seamon Havarian on his ship or go through Irenicus's portal.
I went through the portal, so I have no idea where the other option gets you, although it seems like they could both end up in the same place. The Portal takes you to the underdark, and you'll be there for a long time, so I'd suggest that if you have anything to do back in Athkatla, I'd do it before entering the Asylum.

Eventually you'll get back to Athkatla, but not until after Chapter 6.

------------------
~AVARIEL~

~~~}---------------

[This message has been edited by Avariel (edited 12-15-2000).]
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

~Avariel~
"Damn pointy-eared tree-hugging elf, prancing through the forests and whatnot!"

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:45 pm

You can still finish the sub quest's after you get out of the underdark.It's really up to you both ways work.I would take the ship, it offers more exp.

------------------
(I would betray the world before i let the world betray me.) Cao Cao 192 a.d.

[This message has been edited by Weasel (edited 12-15-2000).]
"Vile and evil, yes. But, That's Weasel" From BS's book, MD 20/20: Fine Wines of Rocky Flop.

getsleepy

Postby getsleepy » Fri Dec 15, 2000 2:31 pm

Taking the ship not only gives you more exp but it also gives you the absolutely the best and most powerful items in the game!!! How can you miss that!!! You get cloak of mirroring from one of the fishman you kill. That cloak will reflect all spell direct on the wearer, which makes the wearer immune to any spells on him/her. The other part for Wave and the spear +3 which adds +10 piercing damage on every hit!!!

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Dec 15, 2000 5:17 pm

The cloak is great, but remember it is only spell damage--still gets my vote for the single most powerful item in the game.

Also, you get the Silver Sword hilt...another amazing item you miss out on if you don't take the boat. If you're a monk, you need to take the boat AND side with the king to get the gauntlets of Crushing.